Notices

Class of March 2013 part 30

Old 07-24-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hey Sass, I'm glad that those pieces are falling together for you. I've read some things about the gastric bypass causing problems too. I'm so glad you found the doctors you need. I'm also very glad you never gave up. All this time together and you never gave up. Don't think you haven't inspired me every day. You have always been there for all of us and even when your struggles came as they do for all of us...you owned it and you picked right back up and just tried again. You are one amazing woman.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

That is one big tooth Gilmer. Did you see it? I always ask them to let me see it before they whisk it away. They aren't gross. I think the are interesting. I actually kept one. Want to see a picture of it?

That is great news Budd! You should teach a course on how to take a difficult situation and turn it around for maybe...not me to say...one of the best things that maybe happened to you. After all said and done and it's ancient history, that DUI now soon to be known as reckless driving may have saved your life.

I always wondered if when you die if your life flashes before your eyes and you see how many gifts you were really given. Who knows that if you were at an intersection just 15 minutes before, it could have been you in that accident. That's how close you were and never knew it. I suspect we would be amazed how many close encounters we really had. I wouldn't mind knowing on my death bed. As long as I remembered to just go out with an attitude of gratefulness and not be pissed about it. I'm weird. I know.

Hang in there Trach. The highs and lows come to everyone. It will pass. Thanks for Snaggle link. I'm going to go say hi to her when I get off our thread.

Are you talking about those games in England and Scotland Marcher that are like the Olympics? I saw them talking about it on TV. Hey, maybe you can watch Hallmark movies on your ipad. Named after the card company Hallmark. And just as cheesy and sappy. But that's what I like about them. I like happy endings. I don't care if it's fantasy. I like to watch things like that.

Ever watch Puppy Bowl on the Pet channel? It's on when Super Bowl is on. It's so cute. It's puppies playing football. They have commentators and refs and everything. It's the cutest thing you have ever seen. Oh oh, I noticed on my cable there is now a channel for pets to watch. All the programs are designed for dogs. Playtime is an hour watching bunnies run. Next hour is relaxation time with clouds and soft music. Scientifically proven to entertain you four legged family member. No wonder people sometimes scratch their heads at Americans. Did you know the US spent 300k on pet Halloween costumes last year. Yeah. You heard that right.

Later buddies!
xoxo
Old 07-24-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

I didnt mean to be disrespectful to you Dee. I know your close encounters with drinking came very very close and that you have things to deal with because of them that's how close they were.

But you are my Hallmark movie. Happy ending. You are still here. You have a Mrs Dee and you literally have 300k friends around the world. I hope you get a flash of all the faces of the people you helped and lives saved. That's the flash I wish for you.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Budd, this is the second time I have heard somebody mention your wonderful story. Would you mind telling it again? I'm sure nobody would mind having it repeated!

Shoes, he had to crack the tooth into three pieces. It never occurred to me to ask for it! I did see all the x-rays, though. It had part of a cleaning instrument broken off in the root from last time (!); plus it did have a window-pane shaped crack going all the way up, so the tooth was definitely a goner. The roots were huge and one was straight and the others were curved! It looked like an elephant's foot on the x-ray!

Sass, I hope this is a bright and good morning for you. When is the actual day you move?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Where are you, Duff?
Hi Gilmer!! I'm here

I've been following but then I get so far behind I don't know where to start! So I'll just jump right in.

Ouch! Sorry about your tooth! The dentist is my least favorite place on the planet - I sympathize and hope you feel better today.

Budd, great news about your charges -- you deserve it, you've turned everything around since that incident. So proud of you!

Sass, so interesting about the gastric but it does make sense, doesn't it? You sound so great and so glad we're all here together to get through this.

I read another thread in newcomers about boredom -- boredom is the ultimate kiss of death for me. But my life is anything but at the moment (sigh). I've always heard moms talk about being so busy but I never really thought they were all that busy, but this summer I'm really feeling it -- running from camp to camp, lesson to lesson, my dad's surgery and now helping my mom with her business because she's losing her sight (another post). And then packing lunches, making beds, just getting everyone out the door and trying to make sure the dogs get a good walk in the morning. Oh, and I forgot my tennis league - lol and all the committees I've been asked to be on at church and planning a birthday party and a housewarming party (a year later but whatever!!).

So I have to confess, when I do have a free minute or two my first thought still goes back to "you work so hard, you deserve it -- who will know?" With all this running around I do have opportunities - the boys have golf from 3-5 3 days/week. At the club. That means I could disappear for 3 hours at the pool bar and no one would be the wiser (except me, of courts). I haven't succumbed yet but it's always there.

Anywhoo -- all good here just busy, busy, busy.

Toots, miss you and hope you'll be back soon.

Marcher, I'm going a little far back here but I hope you gave Mr. Marcher a hug from all of us -- you do deserve a nice gift and I hope you're loving your mini -- I take mine everywhere with me.

Shoes -- xoxo as always.

Trach -- glad you're back.

Dee, good to see you - we understand you're busy and love your presence here when we can get it.

We, keep popping in -- we need you here more!!!

Ok, off to pack lunches and start the day
Old 07-25-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Great to see you, Duff! Band camp will soon be beginning for my youngest son--but NOW HE CAN DRIVE HIMSELF!

I will still volunteer, but at a much lower level. I'm twice as busy now as I used to be with taking my dad to appointments--plus, now I'm going to strike while the iron is hot and get all of my dental work taken care of.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
That is one big tooth Gilmer.

Are you talking about those games in England and Scotland Marcher that are like the Olympics?
xoxo
It is a big tooth Gilmer and I can't talk about it because I have dental phobia but I admire your bravery.

Yes Shoes, they are called the Commonwealth Games, every country that was once part of the British Empire is them if they want to be. It's good -in-between-Olympics practice, better than the Pan Pacs even.

Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
That means I could disappear for 3 hours at the pool bar and no one would be the wiser (except me, of courts). I haven't succumbed yet but it's always there.
Ah but Duff my sweet, you'd be wiser and nothing compares with sobriety. No matter how tall the glass, no matter how pretty the drink, it all comes to nought if it ruins what we are. And who wants to go back to jail anyway.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

It wouldn't be that great--it would just make you muddy-headed at this point.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi guys

Trachy thanks for the heads up on Snaggles return,

Shoes, I think we all want a happy ending, that's why channels like hallmark and chick lit thrive. I'm reading a lot of mushy books just now.

Gilmer that does sound painful. I used to have a dentist with the most gorgeous blue eyes surrounded by thick dark lashes, and spoke with a gentle Irish brogue. It didn't matter what he was doing to my teeth as looks as he was leaning over me and talking!
And I remember the first time I had a really crappy time and it wasn't until much later that I realised I hadn't even considered drink as an option for making me feel better, or cope or avoid. It was pretty intense.

Great to see you Duff. Yes we all get those times of thinking, I could who would know, but you would of course.and you would loathe yourself. You wouldn't be drinking for any fun, social pleasure, you would be putting the poison in your system that chemicals in your brain are telling you that you want. The longer you go without a drink, the more ways you find to have fun without booze, the less you feel any desire from any part of you to use it to fulfil you.

I am doing an online course just now that another SRer suggested, called 'The Addicted Brain' which has been fascinating. I always enjoy looking into the psyche, but this is all about the chemical changes in the brain caused by addiction. Yesterday it was about how many drugs, including ethanol ( the chemical base of most alcohol) cause a release of Dopamine in the pleasure receptors in the brain. It is believed that these receptors are a part of our survival mechanism, and reward us for eating ( so we don't starve) drinking ( so we don't die of dehydration) and reproducing ( continuation of the species). It explains why many of us crave sweet or naughty treats, when we stop drinking, or take up smoking, or drink more coffee. So it is important for those marchers currently in early recovery to find ways of rewarding themselves, releasing that dopamine, in other ways. I was also wondering if certain activities released more dopamine ( he didn't specify) as we need to drink far more than eat for survival. I now drink loads of water and morning coffees and wonder if that is because of the dopamine release?

Ken, you should send a thank you card to the officer who stopped you that day. He changed your life. And gave you to us. So you can add my name to the bottom of the card. X

Trachy, I am so proud of you. I hear the pride and uncertainty in your words, yes. 'Here be dragons' but we are tooled up, and you are not hacking through this jungle alone, I have my pith helmet and my mossie spray, the other Marchers are equally equipped and with you every step of the way.

Big Ups to all absentee Marchers, would love to hear a shout out to know you are all doing ok.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Now you've got to retell your story, Ken!

Trach, I promise not to miss with the machete!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

'Here be dragons'

I need that on a hat. Or maybe tattooed on my forehead.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Great to see you, Duff! Band camp will soon be beginning for my youngest son--but NOW HE CAN DRIVE HIMSELF!
So I'm hearing there is light at the end of the tunnel?? haha -- it's crazy how much time I'm spending in the car.

Thx for the reminder guys -- Instead of of drinking out of boredom I'm finding myself in the odd position of wanting to drink to relax, unwind. But that can be accomplished with a good book too!

Our morning play date just cancelled so that means free time!! So happy. I hope everyone is having a great start to the weekend!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Duff, I just run upstairs for about 10 minutes, lie flat on the bed, and breathe slow and deep. Put on a DVD if you must!
Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

A late good morning, Marchers! The Internet company goofed and switched my service first thing this morning instead of next Friday. I have been running up my cell phone bill all morning trying to get it straightened out and finally succeeded. Sometimes my extreme stubbornness does pay off.

(((Shoes))), your message had me in tears! I was feeling really awful and felt like I had let you all down. Thank you so much! You are a real mensch.

Duff and Gilmer, thank you, too! I am actually moving next Friday 8/1 though I will be getting the key on Wednesday afternoon and will be able to take over a few car loads. Kitchen packing today.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
A late good morning, Marchers! The Internet company goofed and switched my service first thing this morning instead of next Friday. I have been running up my cell phone bill all morning trying to get it straightened out and finally succeeded. Sometimes my extreme stubbornness does pay off.
And they say there's no up-side to OCD.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
And they say there's no up-side to OCD.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Toots, there's a book available on Amazon called "Neuroanatomy for students of behavioral disorders" by Ronald L Green, MD and Robyn Ostrander, MD. I found it to be rather technical but there is a nice section with diagrams showing how the "pleasure center" of the brain works. It's my understanding (or misunderstanding, as the case may be) that there are different receptors for different things. For example, the opioid receptors are involved in both addictive drugs and alcohol. It is my impression that if, for example, one drinks and takes benzodiazepine meds, it then becomes harder to stop drinking because the meds are still stimulating the opioid receptors and thus increase the craving. If the opioid receptors are not being stimulated, the desire for alcohol will decrease over time.

One of the drugs used for alcoholism apparently works by attaching to the opioid receptors so the alcohol can't. Thus one can still get drunk but there is no "buzz". I suspect that some other addictive type behaviors may affect different types of receptors. This isn't my field of expertise so I may have some of this wrong.

The benzodiazepine and alcohol affecting the same opioid receptors is direct from my addiction pdoc. He indicated that to successfully stay off alcohol, I need to also get off benzodiazepine meds which I have been taking for many years. This was a new one to me and will be one of my avenues of "attack".
Old 07-25-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

There is a lot of support for getting off of benzos in the substance abuse thread. Of course, you were taking them according to a doctor's orders, but weaning off may give you grief. Many supportive people over on that thread.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

There is a lot of support for getting off of benzos in the substance abuse thread. Of course, you were taking them according to a doctor's orders, but weaning off may give you grief. Many supportive people over on that thread.
Thanks, Gilmer! I will check that out!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
One of the drugs used for alcoholism apparently works by attaching to the opioid receptors so the alcohol can't. Thus one can still get drunk but there is no "buzz". I suspect that some other addictive type behaviors may affect different types of receptors. This isn't my field of expertise so I may have some of this wrong.
That's what bupropion did for me. I could drink and never felt the buzz. Now I don't even have the desire.