Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 5

Old 06-26-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
waking down

Hey friends! Six months for me today. This is by far the longest I've gone in over 20 years. Feels good. Hope you're all well. Seltzer is the new summer beer. And zero sugar - zero calories!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

congratulations zero, seems like some of us are hitting the 6 months mark. mine is 28th.

speaking of vehicles -- I saw my car going down the road yesterday - cept it was orange.
my first car 1971 MGB - loved it, always wanted to get another, always was a ragtop man.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I also googled 1971 MGB ragtop. Nice and sexy car. But I must say, these are like unique cars aleady, you know, older...

Congrats on 6 months Zero!
Old 06-26-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Zero - massive achievement
Old 06-26-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Congratulations to Zero and TigerL. And Muhv. Please send me some of your strength! Beautiful day here. Still struggling.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

hang in there jack, you know it will get better the longer you make it through these tough times.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this Jack. What do you think the sticking point is?

D
Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I guess the sticking point , Dee, is that I love it. And hate it. I'm in that point in the journey. I've tried many times. Am hopeful that I'll get through. Mostly, it hurts. But still pulls me in. It's never a nightmare. Just winds down into the same thing. Anxiety. Crappy sleeps. Functioning hangovers. Wondering when my liver calls me on the abuse. Failed attempts at breaking orbit. 40 years. But I love my life and family. I figure I'll find my strength soon. Not much later left. Thanks for the question.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Jack.

I could never make the decision to quit either. In the end it was made for me by my body.

I wish there was a way to fully illustrate how much better my life is now...and how much better I am now...and all I had to give up was one inert liquid.

I hope you find your way Jack
D
Old 06-27-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Muhv - sometimes I have cravings. Sometimes I feel tempted. It's ok. I have tools, and you guys :-)
Old 06-27-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

jack, I must say that if I hadn't been popped on a random alcohol screening at work - lost my job over it - that I would probably be on my third or fourth beer by now.

I can honestly say that losing my job was my wake up call. And it is the best thing that could have happened. I have no regrets over it. I am more thankful that it happened than you can imagine. My relationship with my wife has gotten so much better, I feel better and my outlook for the future is tremendous. Aside from some aches and pains in my shoulder( I was drunk when I hurt my shoulder), I am healthier now than I have been in ten years. Everything has improved. I wish I could have just wised up and made the choice to stop drinking without any external influence.
You my friend can do this before something tragic happens. It will be the best decision you can make. I know it's tough to hear it from someone else how quitting has improved their life - most everyone who got sober says that. But it is so true. The feeling of knowing that alcohol will not interfere with anything in my life again is so liberating it cannot be explained.
Please join us. Just make the decision to stop and stick to it.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

today is 6 months for me. and I am going to a b-day party with a huge beer drinking crowd. no worries. I'll just have to pack a cooler full of good drinks. I can't drink more than 1 or 2 sodas - carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and secret flavors - ugh. Liquid sugar.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Congratulations, LB! Enjoy the party. It's a sizzler out there today.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
waking down

I had a little alcohol pang today. A friend informed me that their little festival will be hosted by my favorite brewery (old friends are the brewers). I remember last summer enjoying their amazing ales, drinking heartily, and playing music until the wee hours around the campfire. I do miss those times.

But then I remember how the following day was completely derailed because I was worthless.

Compare that to the fest I went to last weekend. I drank seltzer and jammed into the wee hours. Had a Grade A Hootenanny. Didn't sleep much, but woke up feeling good and ready for more music the next day.

As much as I like the buzz, I'm finding I can out-party the drinkers, and my enthusiasm for playing and performing is enhanced by my sobriety. I used to think I needed a little buzz to muster inspiration, but now I realize that was only because without that buzz I was on a low swing. Since I don't drink at all anymore there's no need.

Anyway, Jack, I guess to stay sober I have to keep remembering the downsides of drinking. If I make a list of the positives and the negatives I find the negatives far outweigh the positives, especially now that I can gain most of the positives without the alcohol.

One thing I've found interesting is I don't mind being around drinkers (or even stoners or trippers). At an outdoor festival I kind of enjoy it. I don't want to be around sad drunks, but people out for a good time, drinking or not, are just fun. I won't go to a bar unless there's live music, though. For me music and intoxicants went hand in hand. Not necessary anymore.

This is great news. I haven't had a sober summer in 20 years, and I had a little trepidation about camping at a music fest. Last weekend proved I can have more than a good time. No beer. No weed. Just good music, good folks, and good times.

People were cool about it, too. I just kept saying no thanks. A group camped near me kept offering me beer and shots and weed, so I eventually just said I'm an addict. One guy said, "Good answer," and nobody said boo to me about it after that. I think they respected that I could hang and enjoy myself without substances. I kind of enjoyed the persona: The older guy who knows how to have a good time while taking proper care of himself and not judging the folks around me (most of whom are obviously having fun). I hope some of those kids look at me and say, "I want to be like that guy someday."
Old 06-28-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Great story, Zero. I think that you can be inspirational for old guys, too. Sounds like you mindfully handled the pang, and let it move on. Music like you describe must be so energizing! I've never played; just listened. Incidentally, I have an old musician friend and longtime drinking companion who quit the booze almost a year ago. He looks great, and just posted a picture of his smiling self standing in front of his new kayak, lakeside. When one door closes, another door opens, as they say. I enjoy and value the stories and the experiences I read about here. I am now off to cut more firewood in this gorgeous blazing sun.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

zero, that is really great, and very cool that the other partyers understood.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Good going Zero. I will try to follow your good example.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

6 months yesterday for me.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
waking down

Right on, Tiger!
Old 06-30-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 tl. Keep it going