Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 5

Old 09-20-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Hello Tiger Lili. I just got up. 6;20am here in Northern Virginia. Had a quiet Friday evening with family. Will stay busy this weekend to stay focused. I know it's evening there in" Down Under" . I hope you're feeling better. How did it go with your friend?
Old 09-21-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hei gang. Just checking in and letting you all know I'm doing fine.
My mom is making homemade wine. Brings back good memories, I know it tastes so good. She said they will never put it on table when I am around. I think this is the only alcoholic drink that would make my mouth drool. And just to make me feel better, she is making so much apple juice I could actually swim in it. Seriously, I think there is already over 200 liters. I love apple juice!
Old 09-21-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  
waking down

I'm still breathing and sober, too. Just too busy and burnt to keep up with SR these days. I'm a workaholic by accident. Someday I'll get a life. Take care of yourselves, y'all...
Old 09-22-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

hope all did well over the past weekend. I ended up going to the crab thing. I forced myself to tackle two crabs and ate some burgers. Ended up being a fun night with my 2 sisters and some friends. Seeing the local drinking crowd was interesting. Reminds me of why I left in the first place. Not much else to do around there. Or rather, it is THE thing to do. I saw one t-shirt that read, "you can't drink all day if you don't start first thing in the morning". That is the attitude of many from that area.
Psyching myself up to go hunting this afternoon. The sitting there enjoying the quiet solitude is the great part of it. It's the work that comes after the harvest that I don't care for much. Then transporting the thing... It's all part of the experience I suppose. This will be the first time I ever hunted without having a beer in my pack. Normally first thing is to open a celebration beer. Bottled water works too. And a thermos of coffee.
But as I recall, I would drink before, during and after. Having to "go" while trying to be invisible to the animals was always a task. Especially from up in a tree. ha!
Old 09-24-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Today I am 6 months sober!

I should have counted all the money I saved from booze. Should be a lot. I'll prepare a celebration dinner for tonight, husband is really glad I got my **** together. And why shouldn't he be, I look better, I feel great, my attitude is 200% happier, kids are really happy because I spend all my time with them.
Life is good!
Old 09-24-2014, 12:20 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Muhv

D
Old 09-24-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jackrussell View Post
I was doing some reno work in an old house and the woman who owned the place asked if she could use my little portable vacuum cleaner. Of course, yes, use it. She then proceeded to hunch down and spend hours vacuuming stuff with the crevice tool, lots of crevices in an old house with wide plank flooring. And she was in heaven. And I recognized a kindred spirit.
And I do not know whatever this has to do with Sober Recovery. I guess it's the lovely peculiarity of the human spirit, its needs and comforts. Our sometimes odd needs and comforts.
I've had "meh" couple of weeks and have been feeling down lately, so I've been catching up on old posts I might have missed. This really warmed my heart and I love the friendly banter you guys keep up. I don't know but it really helps just to hear from you guys.

Wishing everyone the best because you guys deserve it.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jackrussell View Post
I've enjoyed the Steely Dan youtube videos of their 'making of' series. Making of...Peg. Deacon Blues...Great stories and background. Too old for you, Muhv. But these guys are still touring. Will be close to me in a week or so.
Hey man, good music is timeless! I'm 28 but I'm a huge Steely Dan fan. Found them when I was in highschool and have been in love ever since. Have some of their vinyls even
Old 09-24-2014, 12:56 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Muhv View Post
Jack and Brain and Zero all have irish roots. My dad always says that irish people have the strongest vitality in the world. Common characteristics are big ears, red hair and freckles. That is the description of my deskmate from school, but she is all estonian.

About music - I am a huge Michael Jackson fan.
Count me in as well, on both sides of the family. Both parents were raised Catholic but they weren't keen on it as adults and we ended up being raised Protestant.

Thusly, I am of course an agnostic absurdist.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Congratulations Muhv!!

Hi ActualAlcoholic!!! What's new?
Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ya 'AA'

good to see you TL!
D
Old 09-24-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Feeling very resentful that i cant just be like normal people.
I have been thinking about normalcy a lot lately, and my own relative weirdness. I've come to realize that i personally cannot stand normalcy. The default path of least resistance of life has ways bored me. Maybe that's part of my problem, but I would always choose a non-normative existence over a normative one any day.

This is my weirdo life and I'm going to live it the weirdo way I want. I'd never had trouble with making friends or whatnot in the past, but I was also trying very hard to color my personality in the lines, to play to what we are all socialized to be. And I've always hated it, even when it has led to things that could be perceived as positives for me. I'm just being myself now, truly. And it's awesome. You find more things about yourself when you just kind of let it go in my experience.

Don't resent non-norm, I say embrace it!
Old 09-24-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Muhv View Post
Today I am 6 months sober!

I should have counted all the money I saved from booze. Should be a lot. I'll prepare a celebration dinner for tonight, husband is really glad I got my **** together. And why shouldn't he be, I look better, I feel great, my attitude is 200% happier, kids are really happy because I spend all my time with them.
Life is good!
Congratulations that's huge!!!!
Old 09-24-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

I think that feeling a bit 'meh', AA, might be something affecting many people in the northern hemisphere these days, as daylight shortens and the temps drop. Assuming that you're not living in Peru or Australia etc...Congrats on your abstinence from booze for the whole of 2014 thus far! Maybe a little excursion into normalcy would cheer you up? Order in pizza and watch a few hours of The Bachelor, or say, something with a Kardashian in it? Yeah, I like this group, too. Very laid back, with spikes of hard and soft insight, and hopefulness. I cycle in and out of drink; but like to come here regardless of my spot in the cycle.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

I have never watched The Bachelor or anything with a Kadarshian in it.

I'm binge watching season 2 of Orange Is The New Black, then I'll start season 5 of Parenthood. I am hooked on that show. It's like a modern The Waltons. Big happy family where everyone likes each other and so forth. I'm also excited about the new season of NCIS, and the spin off set in New Orleans. Hi, my name is Tigerlili and I am a tv addict :-)
Old 09-25-2014, 02:07 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS on six months Muhv - huge.

Hello Actual Alcoholic, I'm two days ahead of you. Tiger, I haven't watched anything for over two weeks. Except football at my neighbors house twice. My sister can't understand how I live without cable TV. It's great except I have zero news and up to date weather reports. The internet is horrible and getting worse..
It's 5 AM, I'm up and it's raining. Today is the last day I can bag a deer and get it processed before I have to leave the area for a couple weeks. My shoulder is sore from wielding a machete yesterday to clear an area for a hunting blind. Being back out in the woods is great. Indescribable how the senses and total awareness takes over.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

LB: I heard an interview with a retiring war correspondent who also noted heightened senses and awareness when in the field. Different field, but same experience. Best of luck today. Tiger: we watched the concluding episode of season 2 of Orange....etc last night. Lots of surprises there. Really well-written and very well acted, I think. And always a wry humor in there. I watch very little tv, no commercial stuff, just subscription. I can only speculate on the content of pop culture by the pics I see on the covers of tabloids in the supermarket. Must represent some demographic 'normal'. Altho, people I know who follow that stuff, only admit it ...guiltily!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread guys:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-6-a.html

D