Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 5

Old 06-20-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I feel for you TL. In 2014 so far we had 125+ days below 0C. Many were -10 and a few weeks it was -13 to -17 for days on end. Unusually cold for here.
Now people are complaining of the heat. wah wah wah - typical northeasterners
Old 06-20-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I live in the topics so I'll complain about 10 degrees if I want too
Old 06-21-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Around here, the first 10C day of the year is celebrated by people in shorts and tee shirts. The first 10C day of the fall, however, is greeted with scowls and sweaters. Poor Mr. 10C. One day a hero; the next day, a bum.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

JR, yes it is amazing. On the way up it's wonderful, on the way down it's misery.
Went to sleep around 0130, woke up at 0650, greeted better half at 0800 went back to bed, slept from 0830 till 1330. Must've needed the sleep.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:53 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

It was tee shirt wearing weather today, but this evening I've turned the heater on for the cat. She likes to cuddle up next to it. I worry she'll burst into flames but so far so good.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Well now. The car search. I hate buying a car more than I despise the internet. But I need them both. Actually the internet has made it much easier these days. I'm starting to like the internet.

Hope everyone is enjoying their start of summer. And for you below the equator, the days are starting to get longer.

Thought for the day: In my youth, the summer seemed to last forever. The summer school break seemed like it would never end. The days went on forever. Now, the days don't don't add up. It seems I count time in weeks and months - they go by so quickly now. I am striving to get back that youthful feeling of enjoying those long summer days not worrying about tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Good plan, LB. Worry is a huge waste, most of the time. I'm sure it's had its evolutionary advantages, but less useful than harmful, in the bit picture, I think. Enjoy the car search. And keep a good sense of humor in that search.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

should I worry that I may have overpaid for a car? used cars are not cheap - depending on the model of course. so a 2012 with 19K miles was only 1000 less than a 2014 with more 'stuff' without the "moon roof" and fancy wheels. plus the total warranty etc. all of the time researching and test driving used cars. drove around a dozen cars. I had it narrowed down to two. AND THE WIFE TRUMPS ME BY PICKING ONE I WAS ALMOST AGAINST. it would have been my first pick anyway except for the stupid readout on the dash. it's her car tho... funny how that worked out. after I file my 2013 taxes there will nothing left to do but look for a job. the horror. the good news is the car dealer is a fisherman and now owes me a trip to the jersey shore as part of the car deal.

seems like you'll are busy with life. cool.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

Her car her choice I guess LB?

D
Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Yeah. took a short ride in my son's new car this weekend. Quite fancy. I was surprised by how much the new car dashboard incorporates something very similar to my ipad. Feel like a luddite; and am very happy to drive my 4 cyl pickup with the 5 speed manual. No screens. Little digitry.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

My husband also wants to buy a new car for me. Well, as a family car, but I am the one driving it. I am so against it! I love my beamer, it's not new but it's not old either, it is normal sized and I can park without worrying about scratching all other cars around me. I am the worst in parking a car. But this husband guy, he says it's time for a bigger car because now we have 2 kids and all these bikes and stuff don't fit in my car. Blah, men. I'll just buy 3 sets of bikes and keep my old car.

Another thing about cars I've noticed, in the US it is common to have an automatic gearbox yes? I can only drive manual, don't even know how that automatic thing works. My brother has a semi-automatic, and I can not even start the engine on that thing, I just don't know how.

Midsummer Day went very well, I gained at least a kilo. So much meat and sausages and meat again. Yummy. Bonfire was large, weather was cold and it was raining almost the whole day. Only good thing with rain is there are no mosquitos.

Oioi, a long post! All the best to you!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

The thing about it being automatic is that you don't have to do anything but put it in gear. Of course if you want to go in reverse you do have to change the gear to reverse, but that's all. It's very uncomplicated. Glad you're having a wonderful summer.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Oh yes, I am enjoing (sorry, do not know how to spell this word, tried many variations, but none is correct ) this summer. Next week is my wedding anniversary and next Friday when all americans are celebrating their independence day, it is my birthday! I love my birthdays, good food again and all the family gets together.
And then my summer vacation. Strawberrys, beach and sun.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Ha Muhv, my wife never drove an automatic before she came across the pond. I asked her what kind of car she wanted, "a manual". I got a 6 speed jeep a couple years ago, reminded me of my knee surgery way too much. traded back for automatic.

Dee, all - yep it's her car. But if we go on a trip, I always drive so I gotta be comfy in it too.

Glad you are enjoying your summer Muhv, I am going to a surprise birthday party for my sister this weekend. 60-70 people - 50 drunks. Should be a hoot. Sister'e b-day July 4 also.

I sure do miss my old F150, 3 speed, no cloth trim, no power windows, AM radio and a vinyl bench seat. I loved driving it. More recently my 5 speed civic ex hatchback. The only frill it had was AC - got over 40 mph in that thing.

Yesterday I got a call from an old home group member checking up on me. They haven't seen me in over a month. That was cool. I gotta visit soon. But all they do is read the book.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

LBrain, imagine when your sisters name was also Muhv! That would be awesome! And when she is also turning 35, then I bet she would be my long lost twin

But my birthday will not be as crowded, just my family, my neighbours, maybe 20 people, half of them kids. No alcohol served, but maybe my brother and hubby will have some bear. I don't mind, but I would mind strong alcohol while we have so many young kids aged 2-12.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

well Muhv you can be my honorary little sister.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

On the nostalgic subject of trucks, my first was a '52 International L110 pick up. Drove it from just south of the Yukon border down to Vancouver, then across to Ontario. 3 speed. Windshield wipers operated on engine vacuum, so now and again, in a heavy rain, while climbing a steep hill, the wipers would slow to a crawl. Not a quiet, comfy ride, that's for sure.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Whatup you guys?

It's coming up to six months for me.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi Tiger! 6 months, wow! You are doing so great, it's 2 months for me.
Tell me, do you ever feel tempted or do you have cravings?

For me after the antabuse shot or whatever that was, it is really easy, I just do not think about drinking anymore. It is like a problem to remember from the past and then I think that oh no, how could I do that, why did I drink so much. I know 2 months is very little time, but I hope non-drinking sticks with me forever, I don't want to be the one to "try" after a year, to see what happens and if I could still be a 1 glass wine drinker. I know how this would end.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jackrussell View Post
On the nostalgic subject of trucks, my first was a '52 International L110 pick up.
So I googled "'52 International L110 pick up" Nice!!