Moving on and choosing life ~ without AA

Old 10-03-2005, 10:05 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by 51anna
Hi Autumn,

I am not an AA person either. There are many reasons why I choose the recovery path that I follow. I have been sober for 5 years now and depend on SR as a source of information and inspiration. PM me anytime if you feel like talking.
This is good news. SR is a good place to be! Congratulations on 5 years.

The last couple of days, I have been really down, and it took awhile to figure out that part of the reason is that I am not part of the AA scene here. I kind of felt like an outcast.

Thanks so much for the pm invite; I may just take you up on it.

BTW, I love your siggy, and I love Maya Angelou. A wise woman indeed.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:10 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by PlanoTexican
My comments below are exactly that, comments. I am a ex-addict that has no training whatsoever.

There is always self will. I do find helpful posts here at SR. Posts by Don S. come to mind.

I am not an alcoholic, but a recovered pot fiend.
Hi Plano. I smoked a lot of pot when I was younger, then quit when I turned into a paranoid freak.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts today.

It's all good.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:17 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by nutz
AA dosen't have the coner on the market for recovery,
but the door are always open.
You are free to come and go as you choose.
I'm a member , when I say I am.

Attending AA dosen't stop me from being associated
or being a member of other orginizations or groups.
Or simply....living. AA has no opinion on outside issues.

If one finds oneself being sent by the system court.
It's between the indiviual and the court, not AA.
You can get anybody to sign a courtcard...but most newcomers are
so wacked and are not aware of it.
AA do not run recovery home nor any other institutions.

However.....I'm sick and I need help and surpport
I have a CHIOCE and freedom.
Nobody can live my life for me or make the hard chioces for me.
That takes me out of the victomhood syndrom.
Therefore no one can work my recovery for me, no matter
what methed, steps, procedures, guidlines, instructions.
It's my responsiblities, my failures, my glories, my defeats, my vitories.
Whatever it is......It works, if you work it.
I don't need to get drunk over it, nor I need to get drunk if
I choose not to attend or seek help from AA.

I am never alone.

I choose AA..
mmm just to remind me , there's nutty peaple just like me.lol
Makes me feel right at home.
How do I know they're nutz just like me ???
aneswer:.....they understanding me or know what the hell am saying,
feeling, thingking.lol

On a good day, I'm also reminded to be greatful for what I have.
Cuz there's nuttier members than me.lol
Hi nutz. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad that AA works for you. I'm glad it works for ANYONE who chooses it.

I like your attitude about the whole thing, and I'm glad you're sober.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:23 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by 4health
I do about the same as you. I've been asked if I am in AA too. I just say no. I am doing it a different way. I agree with Dan that people aren't pushing AA but maybe that is the only thing they know has personally worked for them so that is what they suggest. I think AA is a great program most people if they are able to follow it. I personally wouldn't be able to. I have too much going on in my life to go to meetings, and rarely do I have time without my kids around.

My dad was also one to suggest a rehab facility but since it didn't work for him... it makes it difficult to take him seriously.. However, My Father in law did use AA to quit and was a sponsor for several years. So I know it is a good program.

I am 18 days sober and I've done it without AA. I've done it with my own will power and commitment, Gods power, SR and its wonderful members, family and friends. I think that is enough of a support group.
Thanks for your input, 4health.

I agree with your personal choices as well.

I'm grateful to AA for all the members here who have found recovery through their program.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:29 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by tink360
hey autumn thanks for the compliment. you can message me anytime as well. :hello2

i think everyone is different and i respect everyones way of doing what they have to do. in the end we all want the same thing..."To live a healthy sober life" we just take different roads there. SR is my AA i guess you could say
You're welcome tink, and a big thanks to you too, for the pm invite.

I think everyone is different too, with respect to choices made regarding their own recovery.

I wish the best for everyone.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:56 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by BubbaBob
The only question I have for ANYONE working ANY program is...

"So...how's that workin' out fer ya?"

If it's workin', fine...if not, ya might look for another program.

BubbaBob
Thanks Bubba. I'll keep this in mind throughout my journey.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:01 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by Don S
The Alcoholism and What Is Recovery forums both have threads about alternative methods. Feel free to post your questions and comments on either of those forums and I'm sure you'll get useful feedback. Tyler, bartender, and I are among the members of SR who use alternative approaches (SMART Recovery in my case and bartender's), and watch for anything written by equus. Millwallj uses CBT--cognitive behavioral therapy--which has a similar basis as SMART.
In the 'Comments on AA's Triennial Surveys' (an internal AA document) discussed in various books, 60% of AA meeting attendees reported getting outside help as well. Don S
Thanks so much for your response and for sharing, Don. I have been hearing some great things about you.

I'll be sure to check out the threads you mentioned, and keep my eyes peeled for those other posters as well.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:03 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by lalabeach
let go and let God
Hi lala. I can see you're ecstatic about your method of choice, since you quoted yourself, lol.

Glad you're sober.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:10 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by lulu70
It is true. Many people may push AA as the only alternative to recovery. Most of the time, though, it is because it has worked for them. I use AA, among other things, as a method of recovery. Early on I also went to treatment and had group and individual therapy. As a matter of fact, I am on my way to a meeting at my old treatment center where I will lead and tell my story. It is truly a blessing.
That is so nice, lulu. I'm so happy for you, and hope it went well.

I don't know if I could have stayed sober this long (19+ months) without AA. I tried to quit drinking a number of times on my own, but it didn't work. Of course, I also tried to continue living my life the way I had always lived it minus the alcohol. I do NOT reccommend that.... My point is, I will always suggest AA to newcomers because it has worked for me.

If people can get sober using other methods, and I know they can--the evidence is right here--then more power to them. My only wish is that no one have to needlessly continue to suffer from this disease.

Thanks for sharing, Autumn and others. I appreciate hearing about what others are doing....as long as it is working!

Hugs to all--
I agree with you lulu. I would never say a bad thing about AA if it might just work to help someone recover. I would suggest any good, reputable program to anyone still using.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:10 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by Jupiter2

I applaud anyone who stays sober regardless of how they do it. I am most impressed with those who stay sober and are happy.
Jup.
Good point anyone that is staying sober is doing the deal cause if we are sober we are happier than what we have been, I know it is not easy or always happy but it beats the alternative HUH

Love Vic
Old 10-03-2005, 11:19 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer
Meeting makers make it!
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist -- JUST KIDDING!!! :joke:

Now, while I'm a firm believer in AA and that whole enchilada, I say whatever works -- but work it!!! I'm sorry to say that so many people disapprove of a program, but have never even made an attempt at working it -- what a concept!

I guarantee if I read a book on SMART, or cognitive therapy, there must be some kind of action associated with it... if I don't act and take some personal responsibility for my self, I probably will not get much in the way of results...

I have to say that I, too, get uncomfortable when folks start riding me at meetings (and I go to some pretty 'intimate' meetings, meaning we all know each other pretty well). Yes, my sobriety comes FIRST in all areas, but I train my ass off during the week, and unfortunately my meeting time suffers (I also have to work, spend time with my family, etc.). It's all about balance. I think my sponsor is understanding that about me. But again, if I blow off my meetings (or the work associated with my chosen program, because I have things I need to do and live every day to stay sober) I WILL get myself into trouble.

Hope that makes sense -- bottom line is that you need to do the footwork, no matter what program you choose.

Ken
Thanks for the advice Ken. I did make an honest attempt to try AA a few years ago. I was dry and committed. AA didn't completely resonate with me.

However, I am glad that it works for YOU.

Right now, I have my footwork cut out for me, lol. And it's working.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:25 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by Jerry K
I am also one of those who have found recovery apart from attending AA and 12 stepping as they say.

However, I did go through a recovery program and as an out-patient was provided many tools that not only helped me understand who I was (an addict) but how to develop and tweak my personal recovery program.

The main thing I have learned is that recovery is a life long activity and that I must be active in my program on a regular and consistent basis.

I have total respect for AA and its programs and I am very thankful that they sponsor this site. Reading and posting here is part of my personal recovery program.
Wow! You live in Redwood City?? Man, that town must have been beserk during the Peterson trial. I was all wrapped up in it. Would have loved a front row seat, like you. I had to be satisfied with CTV coverage. Hmmph.

Anyway, it sounds like you have a well-rounded plan for your recovery. I'm glad to hear it, and glad that you're sober.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:31 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by j'ade d'arcy
I always suggest AA to a someone newly sober. Even though I am no longer a member myself, I do think that for some it is the only way. It just wasn't my way. Although, I do not think that I would be creeping up on my year mark if it wasn't for the exposure that I got in AA my first few months of sobriety. I am grateful that I did attend AA in the beginning. I just do not attend anymore.

I do still go to individual therapy and that seems to be working for me. I've cut back a bit on the amount of sessions simply because I am feeling strong and good with myself right now. If I slip or go back out, if I don't die from my addiction, I would probably start over with AA.

But for now, what I'm doing is working and I see no reason to change the way that I am staying sober.
Hi j'ade. I'm thinking that it wouldn't hurt to go to an open meeting every so often, just to listen perhaps. I'm not some kind of anti-AA crusader, or anything. I am interested in exploring the alternatives as well.

I'm also thinking about individual therapy as also. It has done wonders for me in the past.

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your continued sobriety.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:39 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by CarolD
JAutumn...I hope you find lasting sobriety. What joy it is! .

Yes....I share the AA message....as do countless others who saved their lives with AA.
Each one reach one!
Thanks for your happy post, Carol! Yes, so far, being alcohol-free is a joy. Still having some ups and downs, but nothing compared to when I was using, that's for sure.

I'm glad that AA saved you Carol, and the countless others in this world who might not otherwise have stood a chance.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:44 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by doorknob
Autumn,

As you can see, you are not alone. I, at times, feel as you do at SR. I hope you stick around!

Paul
Thanks (((doorknob))), whola bunches!

I'll stick around. You're not alone, either.

It gets rough sometimes....
Old 10-03-2005, 11:48 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by earlybird
[
I hope I dont get jumped on here, but,.....does anyone here actually know FIRSTHAND any alcoholic that cured themselves back to being able to drink moderately? Because I keep hearing people say that "many have" and nobody ever says they actually know them. I just cannot imagine myself or any of the alcoholics in my meetings I know, ever being able to drink normally, plus Ive never met someone who has.
Hello, Michigan neighbor!

Though your post is slightly off topic, I agree with it. There's no way, no how, I could ever drink in moderation. Thats a sci-fi fantasy, and an option that doesn't exist in my world.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:48 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

I guess Autumn is what I am not understanding right now is WHY you are posting one post after another to express yourself to different people here that have replied to this thread instead of letting it go and start another one to express yourself on that. To tell people thank you there, maybe I don't understand is all. OK well I remember when you got here and I hope that whatever you choose to do that you just DO IT.

Love Vic
Old 10-03-2005, 11:50 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by KelKel
AA is one of my favorite recovery tools as long as I take what I need and leave the rest....
Hi KelKel. Thank you so kindly for sharing your short, sweet thought.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:56 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by luckyv2
I guess Autumn is what I am not understanding right now is WHY you are posting one post after another to express yourself to different people here that have replied to this thread instead of letting it go and start another one to express yourself on that. To tell people thank you there, maybe I don't understand is all. OK well I remember when you got here and I hope that whatever you choose to do that you just DO IT.

Love Vic
Hi Vic. I figure I owe a reply to each of the posters who were kind enough to take time to share their thoughts.

Call it a personal touch, if you like.

Anyhow, I'm all caught up now.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:46 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hello Autumn. I have left AA now. As you say, why I choose to leave is, for me, at this moment, not hugely important.

I am lucky in that when I got treated for OCD I got well versed in the teachings of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. This is what keeps me on track emotionally; it is very powerful, and scientifically approved.

For me its about self relience. I need self esteem and a sense of my self. That is my long term goal. To become the person I want to be. Some in AA get this confused with ego, buts its not. Its about taking charge of my own life - without booze, without financial problems, with healthy relationships.

My needs as a human being are no different to any others - addict or not - I try not seperate myself from the human race by bad behaviours, and my past of bad behaviours.

Knowledge is a powerful thing, it helps me understand who I am, and there is tools out there to be able to get a better grasp of myself.

For me, I need to move aware from pathologising, and the whole self help arena - for me it became counterproductive. I believe in the natural processes of the mind - and if I do hte rightish things, then the rightish things will follow.

As far as AA being the only way - well its just clearly not.

My friend, a chronic relapser - but young and smart and a doctor, had tried AA 12 times. 12 times. He felt like killing himself a while back. He is now on day three of going it alone. With help from SMART recovery and CBT. His choice to change his life.

I think there is a terrible bias in perception toward the addict: useless and incapable to live their own lives. Time is proving, and will prove, that this is not true. There is nothing wrong with empowerment. God helps those who help themselves. Life is a programme of action. Sitting on a couch all day waiting to get better will just send me to sleep. That is what Bill W meant, I think.