Is AA not for everyone?

Old 11-02-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by RobbyRobot
Experience is the best teacher, and I'm a true student of my own directly, and whatever is revealed by others for my gathering. No matter what life is lived after the fact, it always begins with quitting drinking first, last, and always.
I never ever tire of reading your posts. You are a perfect example of one who has effectively used life's opportunities for learning. I gather from many of your past posts that life has given you some lemons....and let me tell you Robby, you make a mean glass of lemonade!!! Thank you.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Is AA not for everyone?

Originally Posted by dig8788 View Post
Hi guys. I'm new here.

So, my question is, is it OK to feel this way? Has anyone else not followed the AA path to getting sober? Is AA not for everyone?
Heavily edited for space by TRIXM

Hi Dig,

I am new to this forum also and have been in recovery for 25 years. I found AA was not for me after attending 3 meetings.. I am a spiritual person and believe in a "Higher Power", and after that 3rd meeting found AA not to be for me. I found it very hard to hear heartbreaking stories of lives shattered by alcoholism, and was not about to share that very "personal" side with a group of people just because we were ALL drunks in various states of recovery.

Now you could say "control" was my enemy, and alcohol allowed me the benefit of sorting things out in my own mind. After all I thought I had all the answers. My counselor at the time was kind enough to understand my need for privacy, and allowed me to begin not drinking for "just nine " days until I saw her again , then nine more and so on. Literally 1day at a time. I am eternally grateful for the spiritual strength given to me for the 25 years of being sober.

Someone asked when do you know you are successful at "Recovery" I found that an interesting question since I believe I am still in recovery after 25 years, I just have not had a drink. I think Successful recovery can only be complete when you leave this earth for good and are still sober. Until then it is an on going battle like any decease without a cure.

So IMO , Dig, I would say you most certainly can STOP drinking (as in sober) without AA--the bigger question is how to remain sober and in Recovery---which is EVERYDAY of our lives. It does take an alcoholic to truly understand another alcoholic, so AA is for those people who have a need to share and be motivated to remain sober by those who understand them the most. Again in my opinion only SUPPORT is what is needed and it does not have to come from AA.

Pride was such a problem with me that I never even asked for support--how sick was I??

I wish you all the best in your recovery process, and congratulations for taking that first step --admitting you are an alcoholic.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Only easy day was yesterday

Trix-

I first want to say i am an alcoholic and you DO NOT need to be a part of AA

to get sober , its NOT for everyone, i understand your apprehension around

sharing your , like you put it, "personal" storiy, i was afraid of telling anyone

about my battle with the booze ( 20 years ago when i was first introduced to AA), quite frankly it mangled me and totally

destroyed my life for a long time, but enough about me, 25 years

AWESOME , good for you, i give you all the credit in the world being able to

get and STAY SOBER , like you mentioned, one day at a time, and honestly t

hats all we really have, however i want you to know that being in therapy is

a CRITICAL part of being sober, i had a horrific childhood, ill let you do the

math i had my own personal hell and have been in therapy for the last 16

years and although i have NOT been sober that long, (4 1/2 months) it has

helped me tremendously,only as long as i'm honest with her otherwise its of

no use, anyway i dont have alll the answers but if i can help you with

anything please feel free to PM me or simply reply right here and i will gladly

answer you , and if not , no big deal, we are all in this together to help

each other out, REGARDLESS of how we get sober or stay sober this is a sober

enviroment with people willing to help others and i am one of those people,

god bless.

Coop
Old 11-03-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

CarolID,

Thanks for the welcome . Looks like you have a very helpful and informative website. I am Happy to have found you and be part of your forum. I will take your advice and register in the Newbie section.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 9one1 View Post
Trix-

I first want to say i am an alcoholic and you DO NOT need to be a part of AA

to get sober , its NOT for everyone, i understand your apprehension around

sharing your , like you put it, "personal" storiy, i was afraid of telling anyone

about my battle with the booze ( 20 years ago when i was first introduced to AA), quite frankly it mangled me and totally

destroyed my life for a long time, but enough about me, 25 years

AWESOME , good for you, i give you all the credit in the world being able to

get and STAY SOBER , like you mentioned, one day at a time, and honestly t

hats all we really have, however i want you to know that being in therapy is

a CRITICAL part of being sober, i had a horrific childhood, ill let you do the

math i had my own personal hell and have been in therapy for the last 16

years and although i have NOT been sober that long, (4 1/2 months) it has

helped me tremendously,only as long as i'm honest with her otherwise its of

no use, anyway i dont have alll the answers but if i can help you with

anything please feel free to PM me or simply reply right here and i will gladly

answer you , and if not , no big deal, we are all in this together to help

each other out, REGARDLESS of how we get sober or stay sober this is a sober

enviroment with people willing to help others and i am one of those people,

god bless.

Coop
Thanks for the warm welcome, 9one1! You are very wise in knowing how important therapy can be. Although it has now become well know that alcoholism is a disease ,much like diabetes. It is often genetic . I know my grandfather was an alcoholic. Believe me I have had my share of therapy also, and found I have low grade depression, and my drinking was a way of self medicating myself.

I have simply come to the realization that my mind works in a different way than non-alcoholics.....and I actually consider us very special people. With our acceptance of alcoholism we allow ourselves to examine ourselves under a microscope, so to speak. In doing that and getting therapy we will eventually know ourselves better than most people, and probably like ourselves better than most.

Keep up the good work,and remember it really is "One day at a time" don't think about anything past each minute that makes up our day. You have found a wonderful place for support and acceptance in this forum.

We are ALL very special here, with opportunities and streghth many people will NEVER know.

All the very best in seeking peace.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Only easy day was yesterday

Trix - You're not new , you're just another one of us, "new" is a term i don't like because it's almost like we,them, are being singled out, and i cant speak for you , nor will i try , but i have been singled out most of my life , so you go and sign up and become one of us , take care and be well my friend.

Coop
Old 12-08-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, I really didn't want to go at first. The first couple of meetings really felt like a drag to me. But once I got to know a few people, it was different. While AA is still a little more church-like than I'd prefer, I've found that my first impressions about it were totally wrong.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
High on Life

There is no one thing that is for everyone. So that being said, no AA is not for everyone, but you have to find what works for you and keep doing it. I went to 12 step meetings for 3 years, worked some steps, attended some meetings and got a sponsor. Now I'm out. Next year I could be back in. Sobriety is a journey not a destination. What works for me today, may not work for me tomorrow, but I love sobriety so much that I'm willing to make the necessary changes to continue my happy and productive life.