View Poll Results: Which Program of Recovery Did/Do You Use?
SMART
3.00%
AA
43.87%
AVRT
11.44%
Other
41.69%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

What Program/Method of Recovery Did/Do You Use?

Old 12-09-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by tehmazzyland View Post
i think it was cognitive behaviour therapy(?)...

was in a bad way, got referred to a residential rehab, was physically put on a train to a new city after an enforced night of not drinking (which is a funny story in itself, but only like years later), got there, was dosed up with librium...

... then had some awesomeness-personified rehab workers help me find my own path to a secure sobriety. Don't quite know how it happened, but it did. Can't really explain, but it seems to involve healthy amounts of laughing at myself. Of course, that might just be the natural result of my being an idiot anyway. Hell, as long as it keeps kicking my ass to stick with sobriety - I'll take it.

Also, in the last few days discovered the power of ninja -
- which might just become my new metaphor for self-ass-kicking. Because surely only ninjas are flexible enough to kick their own asses.

Peace.
I think that Cognitive therapy is great
Old 12-09-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
The only time I ever hear people refer to "god stuff" is when they are referring to their higher power which happens to be god for some of them. Some people refer to their kids, themselves or families etc as their higher power. I never get tired of hearing what works for people even if it is god. Once I get tired of hearing it, it means I don't care anymore which isn't good for me because I'm shutting my mind down.

I've never been to a meeting where everyone is preaching God and trying to convert people. I guess I don't know where all the negativity comes ffrom in regards to this?
I have unfortunately. I suppose it depends where you go.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I go to AA (it worked for me in the past) and this forum really helps me since I am in early recovery...the support is invaluable and also reading people's experience reinforces my decision to remain sober.
I also use some cognitive techniques...
I have done the steps in the past and step 4 is a great way to do house cleaning (I started the steps all over again) but I do not believe that my character defects are what makes me an alcoholic or that I am a bad person.
You have some horrible sober people and some awesome active alcoholics out there. I am learning to recognize my AVs and the part in my psychological make up which brings me to drink compulsively.
I am lucky I found a home group and I love AA (great people) but I respect other systems and I think they are many ways to become and stay sober.
My godfather has not touched a drink or a drug in over 30 years. He is not into any programs but is very religious/spiritual and cares deeply about his family. He is by NO mean a dry drunk (always bugs me when I hear some knuckle heads saying that just because someone does not go to AA they must be a dry drunk LOL).
Anyway just sharing what I am doing these days...hopefully it will keep on working, am at day 14 and so far so good..no pink cloud but no anger or cravings either.
Every time I read your post, I keep polishing something lol x
Old 12-10-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

God
Church and bible studies
AA
a wife that will kick my butt (not really but sounds good)
MM
Old 12-10-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
The original manuscript of the Big Book was written in 1938, with 400 copies distributed in January, 1939 for feedback. The first edition was published on April 10, 1939, which already had the qualifier removed. Many will say that things really changed when the ATI geared up in the 1980's, and the prevailing meeting format became Open Discussion. I suspect that the seeds of change were planted even before that, though, when the flower children realized that they couldn't keep partying forever and the "kumbayaish" walking wounded started showing up in the rooms in droves.
and what is wrong with kumbayaish?? the program of na has many spiritual principles in it from this era and as such has helped many people get clean.

perhaps you are too conservative and set in your ways for your own good??

v
Old 12-19-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

I've been happily sober and growing for 29 years through the help of AA and the 12 steps.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I use AVRT mainly. The philosophy of identifying the urges as they happen) personified as the "addictive voice") and taking charge of recovery instead of viewing yourself as a victim appeals to me. (Not to say that everyone in other programs vies themselves as a victim, but you know what I mean...)

However, I do like the fellowship that AA offers. I go to meet sober people who have been through similar problems, although I do not actively work the program.

I think As should do whatever works for them. I am so glad that there are options now!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I don't think it matter what program you use, as long as it works for you x
Old 12-26-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Other- NA
Old 12-26-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

And, you know, I would rather be accepted in a place that gives me room to grow than have come into the "old-school" style rooms where addicts/alcoholics are told to "sit down and shut up"... I get it now, but coming in, I woulda said "the hell with this" and never come back. The way I see it, there are many more addicts/alcoholics coming into the rooms earlier in their addiction, which is a good thing. They are also less likely to be sure if they are willing to surrender, and I would rather see people relapse and make it back than leave the rooms in anger and never return.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Check

Originally Posted by Onewithwings View Post
Other- NA
They are the same thing, enough with the semantics.

I got sober through an intensive program that focused on the 12 steps. However three months into it I realized it wasn't for me for two reasons ( although I stayed the full 2 years.)

1st: I am an athiest. Sometimes I would get "talked to" by the group. As they sought it if I didn't belive in God then I wasn't working a program. BS I did all the reqs, I just don't belive in God. Period. They say "higher power" but yet open and close with a prayer from the bible?

2nd: More imporantly AA requires you to rely on others. I take responsability of myself and ironically in AA your higher power can't be a person because people let you down. Yet all of AA requires you to rely on others?
Whether it be my two sponsors who got loaded or people not going with you to meetings because they got "busy" all of suden, sobriety is a YOU program.
Not God, not anyone else.

Personally I think that rehabs should customize it to the individual.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mac2809 View Post
2nd: More imporantly AA requires you to rely on others. I take responsability of myself and ironically in AA your higher power can't be a person because people let you down. Yet all of AA requires you to rely on others?
Whether it be my two sponsors who got loaded or people not going with you to meetings because they got "busy" all of suden, sobriety is a YOU program.
Not God, not anyone else.
Hmmm... not sure how you do things, but I rely on lots of people for lots of things. I didn't build my house. Didn't build my car either, nor the public transportation system. I don't farm my own food. I didn't learn to read and write on my own. Taking good care of myself didn't even come instinctually, fortunately I had parents to teach me that stuff. I absolutely had to rely on them for my first few years of life. At my job, there are lots of people I have to rely on. Even if it were my own business I'd have to rely on ConEd to keep the electricity turned on. I could obviously go on and on with this....

And funny, though I've been a member of AA for decades now I don't remember anybody ever holding a gun to my head, nor knocking a drink out of my hand, nor making me in any way, shape, or form - not drink. Most times the opportunity or desire to drink were in front of me, it was my decision whether to pick it up or not. It wasn't a requirement that someone was there to stop me, in any way. Yet I didn't drink.

Yet I absolutely still need people in my life. And people need me. Not sure what's so wrong or bad about that.

If someone holds other people responsible for their sobriety, then I do believe that is a problem. And one that should be adressed. The steps and principles of the program keep me sober, the individual people help to carry the AA message and whatever else they've picked up over time.

If people are going to make statements about AA, I wish they'd state it as their opinion. What you said about AA is not true. That is my opinion.

PS. Just noticed you're new here. Welcome.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I didn't return, but I didn't relapse either, not everybody does. x
Old 01-11-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrivenHeart85 View Post
I did it with 8 months of intense AA, then 7 months of return to active addiction and then finally I threw both out the window and went with AVRT.
Nice!

I found that AA doesn't make you commit to stopping your addiction. It wants to tell you that your addiction is not your fault and that you must always be on guard. People tell me that after being 20 years sober, they still cant go near a bar, etc. I always thought that was not recovery, that was getting under a blanket and hoping alcohol never found its way under there. No, not for me. I wanted to know what was going on. I wanted to understand why I drank when I really did not want to. AVRT did that for me. I understood the deception that was happening in my brain and then I was done, FOREVER. I am no longer an alcoholic. I can go to a bar and play darts while I drink a soda. I can kiss my wife's lips when she's been drinking. There is no avoidance, no fear, no addiction. That is recovery. Thank you AVRT.

Love you all!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robertstone View Post
Nice!

I found that AA doesn't make you commit to stopping your addiction. It wants to tell you that your addiction is not your fault and that you must always be on guard. People tell me that after being 20 years sober, they still cant go near a bar, etc. I always thought that was not recovery, that was getting under a blanket and hoping alcohol never found its way under there. No, not for me. I wanted to know what was going on. I wanted to understand why I drank when I really did not want to. AVRT did that for me. I understood the deception that was happening in my brain and then I was done, FOREVER. I am no longer an alcoholic. I can go to a bar and play darts while I drink a soda. I can kiss my wife's lips when she's been drinking. There is no avoidance, no fear, no addiction. That is recovery. Thank you AVRT.

Love you all!
Interesting. I've been sober for over 29 years in AA and what you describe is not my experience. I'm a musician and have spent many hours in hundreds of clubs and bars over the past 3 decades. I have no intention of ever drinking again. I don't know many people in AA who do, either. They don't lie to themselves however that there is a possibility that that might one day happen should they ever believe they can drink safely again, or wind up in a place where they're so unhappy with their lives that it doesn't matter if they do.

As I've said before, if people don't have a clear understanding about AA I really wish they would not write about it. I have many thoughts and assumptions about avrt and rr, but I keep them to myself because I realize I'm lacking in experience and knowledge regarding it. I also respect what works for others.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Joe Nerv;4401618] I've been sober for over 29 years in AA and what you describe is not my experience. QUOTE]

Congratulations! I am proud of you. I was not trying to offend anyone. I was not describing your experience, I was describing my experience and singing praises to what helped me. As I have said many times before, there are many treatments that are helpful to different people. Thankfully, one worked for me and one worked for you.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robertstone View Post
Congratulations! I am proud of you. I was not trying to offend anyone.
Well, when people say that AA deosn't make you commit to stopping your addiction... and that after 20 years sober AA people still can't go near a bar... and that sobriety in AA is like getting under a blanket and hoping alcohol never found its way under there - I can't help but to view that as an attempt to talk down or offend AA. It's also not true, so felt I had to speak my truth, which is not what you stated of people in AA. I am a person in AA.

If I were to say people in AVRT delude themselves into believing it's impossible for them to ever drink again, until they do, would that be describing "my" experience?

I don't think that by the way, I understand the forever thing, and respect it if that's what works for someone. Just trying to make a point.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

I'm trying to do my own "programming". Getting familiar with many different approaches and learning about different people's experiences with them seems to be helpful to me - one reason why I like SR so much right now But for me, knowing myself, ultimately it'll have to be an approach I develop for me... I'm too early into this whole recovery thing to say more right now.

I agree with what Kate said above: it does not matter what we use as long as it works. Will add: as long as it's not harmful to others with healthy intentions.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

I use the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 02-11-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Have we seen a person fail...

Only If You Want It

I have been clean & sober for 23 years in A.A. and it is the only method that has worked for me. You have to want sobriety bad though, A.A. is hard work...

Rarly