"It's the quality, stupid!"

Old 08-28-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

"It's the quality, stupid!"

Every so often, in my recovery and what is now prolonged sobriety, I have to to say to myself, "It's the quality, stupid!" Not least when my keen little alcoholic mind, wherein lies all out ungrounded and unfounded fears, has once again, as it did so in my drinking days, when it was allowed to run riot! Disregarded my brain, which provides my intelligence and as in us all good, old fashioned common sense...

Reminding myself, as is pertinent to us all, that it's the quality, not only of my recovery, sobriety but my life that really matters. Not the quantity, taking into account the number of A A meetings attended, books read on it and associated subjects, time spent in prayer and meditation or even the time spent in recovery and sobriety! Although the greater distance I put between myself and my drinking days, doesn't necessarily lessen my chances of a relapse, it does strengthen my spiritual progress and lead to greater understanding and gratitude for both my sobriety and life as it is now.

As many have said far more eminent than I, and it applies both to drinking and sobriety,'If you keep on doing the same thing over and over again. You just end up with the same result.' So, for me it's best as they say to,'Do things with new clarity otherwise you end up rewarding yourself with nothing'.

Reminding myself that both in sobriety as in life that it's the quality of it, not the quantity, that matters is the best way of doing that and going some way to avoiding, at least the potential for any relapse...perhaps for you it is to?
Old 08-28-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool

Yes, this is sort of true, kinda. As my friend snd I are used to saying, "Yes, it's the quality that counts, but it takes some quantity to reach that quality."

(o:
NoelleR
Old 08-29-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I often find ...

I often find the difference between quality and quantity as being, whilst quantity is something tangible,quality is something I can't define, but I known it when I see it. Both in others and myself...and therein lies the proof of the existence of both....you can't have one without the other, with quantity always coming first, but it should , once it is achieved, never override quality...
Old 08-29-2014, 02:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Practice makes perfect...

Then again, I suppose another way of looking at it is, practise (quantity) makes perfect (quality), just a thought ....
Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
Reminding myself that both in sobriety as in life that it's the quality of it, not the quantity, that matters is the best way of doing that and going some way to avoiding, at least the potential for any relapse...perhaps for you it is to?
IMO quality recovery has little to do with gaining anything (years, months, days, tokens). Instead it pertains to losing something - the obsession to drink.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Fair comment ...

Fair comment,thank you ...