View Poll Results: Which Program of Recovery Did/Do You Use?
SMART
3.00%
AA
43.87%
AVRT
11.44%
Other
41.69%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

What Program/Method of Recovery Did/Do You Use?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I looked online for statistics for AA and found some references of 5-10 percent, which isn't very good (but don't know the reliability of the source, either).

AA, like every other method of getting clean and sober, is 100% seccessful for the people that put in the footwork. it's not the methods of recovery that have a problem. its the addict/ alcoholic.

i have asked a LOT of people in recovery if they have ever been in a survey about these so called success rates. i havent run across one person, and thats over a thousand years of recovery!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by LovePrayLive View Post

I am under the impression (through information at rehab) that SMART is about tapering down and not abstinence so I've avoided it as I prefer abstinence when it comes to my recovery.
Just wanted to correct that misimpression. As a member of SMART I can tell you in no uncertain terms that SMART is an abstinence based program. It is not based on moderation or "tapering".

Unfortunately, however, it's not unusual for 12 step based treatment providers to misrepresent SMART. In the last few months I've run across folks who have been told not only that SMART is moderation based, but that it is only provided by professionals and costs money.

For the record: SMART is an abstinence based program. It is free, although donations are requested (a buck or two....just as with 12 step programs). Our facilitators go through a training program (provided online) to ensure that they are familiar with the program's tools and how to present them. The program itself is based on a type of cognitive behavioral therapy known as rational emotive behavior therapy. It provides tools for recovery that are appropriate for each stage of the recovery process.

I encourage anyone who wants to know what SMART is really about to go to the SMART website and check it out. Self Help Substance Abuse &amp Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ
Old 05-12-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this. Today is day one foor me and I am scared but hopeful.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
I've tried it all.

The two that worked for me were RR and AA. RR worked for me, but it didn't change my personality. I wasn't happy or free. I was clean, though. For years. It does what it says it will do!

Enter AA. I went I wanted to find like-minded people who understood me. I decided I would try to entire program (my dad has 33 years sober and is so freaking happy that it was pissing me off, but I wanted that, too). However, I am an atheist, so was pretty convinced that it wouldn't work. In fact I was like "I will SHOW you that it doesn't work. Ima gonna give this thing 110% and show you....." Well, today I am more than just clean. I am happy, joyous and free. I don't need AVRT anymore as there is no more Voice. It's gone. The obsession has been lifted.

My higher power is: not me. That's it.

I have so much more than I ever thought possible now. Finite self was just that, finite. The universe is so much bigger than me. It's cool to just be a speck of dust in it rather than the center of it.

mf
What a great post...That answers a lot of questions for me. I love your Higher Power...That works!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I've been using Celebrate Recovery, it's kind of like AA but different. It's a 12-step program. It's been helpful for the most part.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

What Program/Method of Recovery Did/Do You Use?

Originally Posted by Threshold
They don't succeed or fail, I succeed or fail. There is no magic in any method or program.
Originally Posted by onlythetruth
That is a good summary of my opinion, too, Threshold!
Yep that works for me as well. Its the simple truths that speak to my heart.

The more functions there are to perform in a recovery program, the more complicated it gets. Complications have caused me plenty of trouble .
Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I hope you don't rule out trying AA as an option. AA Big Book p.569 states "any therapeutic or philosophic procedure (like AA) which can prove a recovery rate of 50-60% must merit our consideration."
Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

bluoval, ??? Is there another source for the success rate of AA other than the Book of AA?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
bluoval, ??? Is there another source for the success rate of AA other than the Book of AA?
Yes, come to my home group
Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Freshstart, maybe you didn't notice that the post you answered was from a month ago (May 30th) and the old thread hasn't been active since.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

with poll threads, every time someone votes - even if they don't post - the thread gets bumped...so threads like these are often 'new' - regardless of when the last post was....

I don't think this is a topic that can get dated anyway

carry on!

D
Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

hapened across this thread. I said "other"...

I'm not particular about how I get help...I just wanna stay sober. I don't find any of the "programs" to be effective by themselves.....I have to find my own path...I apreciate all that each program offers. Then I have to find what works for me. each has problems, each has benifits...
Old 09-30-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Willpower and being very stubborn.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

AA brought me to a new way of life. There were a lot of growing pains working through the 12 Steps, but it sure works if you work it. Nobody can do it for you. If you are pessimistic about any of it, the chances of success is really low, if at all.

I found EMOTIONAL sobriety. What I had been looking for my whole life! Alcohol was just a symptom - or way to escape. Both parents were 100% Narcissists so the foundation of my formative years - the first 17 years living in their house - was built by FEAR - ANGER - HATE - NO LOVE - NO HAPPINESS - NO EMOTIONS - Physical, Mental, and Emotional abuse. I was nurtured into a Narcissist - Lost Soul. AA helped me to use the part of my brain that has empathy, love, faith, spirituality, all kinds of positives. I can live a good life now. If it weren't for AA, I would be dead.

However, I need to work doubly hard on affirmations, the Steps, doing 12 Step service work - because if I don't, my brain chemistry will head down those deepy ridged negative neuron paths that I was raised on.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I used Celebrate Recovery. I don't find many people on the forum familar with it but from what I understand it's similar to AA and there is a 12 step program. It does not have the meetings every night though like AA. It's once a week and the format follows the same across the country if you happen to move and need a new meeting place.

I have not done the 12 steps yet. I pretty much used the "just stop drinking" method, but I did need reassurance from going to meetings and literature that I wasn't alone in this battle and the emotions I was going through were normal. The meetings helped tremendously with that during my first year.

Part of the reason I used CR was because of my hectic schedule and I enjoyed the church I went to which is where the meetings were held. CR does not push for you to join the church; however, Christ is incorporated into the program. There is a website for further info www.celebraterecovery.com
Old 10-01-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I went through treatment (I completed a 28 day program in 35 days) and then went to AA.

I have kept coming back for 24 years now and have stayed sober and happy.

I also pursue a daily relationship with God.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

what i am doing right now is SR every day. making sure to read on here every day and try to reply to posts and post gratitude either morning or evening or both.
and also taking it very easy on myself. i'm not making myself do anything past what i have to (going to work, paying bills, etc) unless i want to. the better i get to feeling the more i will ease into remaking my life and how i live it. baby step, baby step, baby step.
i also blog. and interact with others on the web at other places besides SR.
so far, so good.
oh.... and how could i forget?!!! i've entered back into a long lost love relationship with reading again ♥
Old 10-13-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

i dont know what any of those are
Old 10-13-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

10-14-12
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I wouldn't know where to start. AA's rooms did nothing forme, no I was not complacent, or stagnant, just not a safe place for this alcoholic! Canada where I am at nothing but steppers. Harm reduction, non 12 stepping treatment coming up, my chioce is total abstainance