Notices

Help with detox questions....

Old 07-10-2004, 02:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hugs!

Lila,
I share your view that nothing happens in God's plan for us without a reason. AS much as regret the damage done and time wasted using those pills, God has forgiven me and has used my illness and recovery to His benefit. I too am not ashamed to share my experience, strength and hope with others. I know that it has helped and i now can say without a doubt, I would not change one thing in my life. For His plans are perfect and even when we try to do it "our way" if we are open to His leading, we can come back into His path for our life.
Love my life of sobriety and anyone reading this needs to know you can be clean!
Old 07-17-2004, 01:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Well, it's "crunch time" here! My daughter has left for her vacation time {2 1/2 weeks} and I have yet to make up my mind how or where I want to go about doing this detox!! :banghead: All I do know for sure is that I want to get clean and I am feeling very stressed and anxious!!

I think some might have misunderstood my posts so I wanted to explain that the Xanax I take {0/25mg twice a day} is NOT what I am wanting to quit taking...I have severe anxiety/stress and panic attacks and the Xanax has allowed me to live a better life... I do not abuse it and HONESTLY feel strongly that I would be OK if left on it during and after my detox!

I have not yet called any of the Detox centers I have found {Gateway House is on my list!} but have read up on them and most say to bring along any daily medications that you will need....I am wondering if my Xanax falls under this catagory and if my doctor could just call them and OK it??..Also, I have concerns that I would be put into a "dual detox" along with mental patients and that freightens me! {This is a scary thing anyways!}

Lila, Madeline, ashley, dawn and anyone else that has posted here...thank you for your advice and encouraging words! I hope you all will keep in touch as I really could use it right now with these decissions! I HAVE to make that phone call tomorrow to find out if I can even get into one of these places! I am sooo scared and keep trying to talk myself out of it...but then I read your posts and how much better you are feeling and I want that too! I am so sick of wondering where my next perscription is coming from, feeling sick, counting the pills, spending my hubbys hard earned money that we could be using to go on vacation...ARGGG, it just has got to end! :banghead: I know this and I know what I have got to do and I should do it fast before the "addict" tells me it will be OK and to just keep on doing what I'm doing!

Please, any encouraging words would be most appreciated right now! I am going to browse the boards somemore then try to get some sleep!
Take care all!
Jane
Old 07-17-2004, 06:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Jane this little "smiley face" sort of exhibits how you sound like you are felling--conflicted. I know that feeling. Wanting to stop using yet wanting to set the rules for my recovery--continuing on Xanax. I do not doubt that you have an anxiety disorder and the Xanax helps, but please do not let the thought that they might stop it keep you from Detox. Much of your anxiety may come fromt he fact that you are addicted and want to stop and the thought of stopping is just too much for you to handle. It is a vicious cycle. Talk it one day at a time. One hour at a time. Call the facilitiy of your choice as soon as you get off the computer and make an appointment. That will be a BIG step for you and one you will not regret. It really will not be as bad as your mind is conjuring it up to be. The staff in most facilities are there to help you and want you to succeed. You will be with others , who like you share your feelings and struggles and in their strength and hope you will see hope for your recovery.
I look for your next post saying, " I did it and I am glad".
You can do it!
Old 07-17-2004, 08:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you Dawn,
Yes, I know all about the wanting to "do it my way" thing...I struggle with that, but know that it is important for me to follow whatever medical advice I get! It is not the Xanax that I am abusing though...it is the Vicoprofen {20-25 daily}...I was prescribed the Xanax about 14-yrs ago for my anxiety condition, never abused it and consider it to be something that I will probably have to take the rest of my life...I am comfortable with that and although I struggled with it for awhile {embarrassed} I truely just want to go back to the days when that was the only drug I was putting into my system and even though things got tough every now and then, they were not falling apart like they are now! :-(
I am going to call some of the Detox centers today and see if I can get into one of the programs! I'll post back later and let you know how it went...till then, please say a prayer for me!
Jane
Old 07-17-2004, 09:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Jane,
Good for you. I am in prayer for you and I pray that you can know that He is there to help you through this very difficult time. Remember, " You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you!"
Old 07-17-2004, 09:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jane,

I wish you good luck and really understand your feelings. I couldn't imagine what my life would be like without alcohol, after a few years of drinking. Anxiety, for sure! But, it's so much better than you could ever imagine. Keep us posted.

Love, Anna
Old 07-18-2004, 12:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi again!
Well, I called three Detox centers today and will be following up with one of them on Monday morning...hopefully early enough so that I can get into one of them later that afternoon! The one I am most interested in is about a 6-7 hour drive away, but the counselor I spoke to there was soo friendly and had a good sense of humor which I appreciate! He also said that they would keep me very "comfortable" during my initial detox using "Catapress Patch", "Ultram" and something called "Serax" which would replace my Xanax just for that period of time {it is actually alot stronger}. My only worry is that he said no phonecalls allowed unless its an emergency and I'm not sure I could be away from hubby {especially knowing he was worried about me} and would be very freaked out if not allowed to talk to him for a week! I dunno...I just have to play it by ear I guess...{I might be able to "convince" them to let me call him quickly just to give a long-distance hug!}...we'll see!

Thank you all for your prayers...they are very appreciated and still very much needed as I've not even begun to start this journey! ****HUGS*****
Jane63
Old 07-18-2004, 04:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Jane!
I am sooo proud of you. You HAVE begun the journey. You are doing teh work to get to a place that can help you get well.
Don't worry too much about the "no phone calls" rule. Therapy is such that you will be so busy in classes and group that you will not have time to miss your hubby too much. Take a notebook and journal. It really helps the times you do feel lonely, and helps you see yourself in a new light. And you will see a new light--a light of hope and freedom and health.
I am praying for you and look forward to hear of your progress.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Jane!!! I'm so happy for you!

And I am sure that the staff at the detox center would be happy to update your hubby on how you are doing, even if you can't talk to him yourself. Or perhaps they will bend the rule for you. Either way, don't let that get between you and the road to recovery!

I'll be thinking of you and saying a prayer!
Ashley
Old 07-24-2004, 08:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi gang!

Well, I just got home from the detox center yesterday afternoon! It was HELL, but I survived and feel I did the right thing! I will be 5-days clean of pain pills as of today! YAY!

I did not, however detox off the anxiety meds as the doctor there had requested, but will be following up with my own doctor Monday and looking into some alternative ways to cope...as said, I never abused the anxiety meds and realy feel there is no problem there and I am STRONG in that belief!

The thing is...my legs are aching horribly today...I walked last evening and had a good nights sleep despite the tossing and turning and not being able to get going so well! I still have the catapress patches (2 of them) on my back and am taking 400-600mg of Ibuprofen every 6-hrs and just trying to get up and walk around as much as possible! My goodness it hurts! When will it subside? What can I do to lessen it?
Any advice would be much appreciated! love to all!
jane
Old 07-24-2004, 11:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

[FONT=Lucida Console]Welcome Home Jane!!!
I am so happy to see your posting and I was just thinking about you this morning. I am sure it was not easy, but you have 5 days and I applaud you and encourage you and pray for you.
Have you found an NA meeting? I encourage you to go and go regularly. It will be your lifeline and your friend!
Keep it up.
You go girl! :lumpy
Old 07-24-2004, 12:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Jane, for the leg pains, oh yes, I have been there. 5 days is a SHORT detox, so it makes sense that you are having some leg stuff. Hot showers and baths, five or six a day if necessary. Heating pads on your legs. Elevate your legs with the heating pad on them. Massage. Walk as much as possible, to make yourself tired.

I can't stress the showers/baths enough. Sounds dumb but it WORKS.

My own, personal experience has been that it takes about a month to feel close to normal. This will of course depend on many things. The leg pains should get much better in a few days. Sometimes they last for two weeks.

The next month or so may not be easy. Don't expect to feel great, but take advantage of the times when you do. Try to keep as much stress out of your life as possible. Your brain and body are recovering. It takes time.

I hesitate to say this, because I know how I felt when people tried to tell me about NA, but I have found that it (and AA) have saved my life. The physical detox, in my own experience, was the easy part, sadly. Staying away from the pain pills turned out to be the hard part.

No matter what, though, you have come through a difficult ordeal with flying colors!!! Congratulations for doing the really tough thing and getting the help you needed!

Here's to the rest of your life! May it be filled with all of the good things you could not have while hooked on pain pills!
Ash
Old 07-25-2004, 09:44 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hiya ashley and dawn!
Thank you soooo much for your replies..they meant so much to me at a time when I was feeling prety down because there is so much I want to be doing around the house...visit my sick father, etc...and I am struggling to just do the basic stuff! Whaaa!{cry} My husband is wonderful and had the house spick and span when I got home, hugged me all night long and is taking excellent care of me! unfortunately, he goes back to work tomorrow and I am scared...not of caving or craving or anything like that...just that I know I will have to do things on my own which is call my GP and drive myself in there...not real far of a drive so I should be fine...just anxious!{I miss my daughter too who is still on vacation at the beach.but glad she is not seeing mom like this!}

I am looking into AA and NA, but I live in the boonies and theres not much here, but I am going to make every effort to exercise each day, take up yoga, get more active in my community and get out with some old friends I've neglected!

I really feel positive about this...just have to get over this hump and start feeling normal again...that is all I really want right now more than anything..my life back and I am on the right track! Thanks ladies for stearing me there!
Can't type anymore for now..got to get in shower..hubby and I stripped the bed {sweaty me stunk it up! YUK! sorry TMI! }and I think it will take every ounce of energy just to get that done today! I will write back soon tho!
Take care!
jane
Old 07-25-2004, 09:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Smile

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][COLOR=Indigo]Jane,
Everything you are feeling is normal. Your body and your mind is going through a "re-entry" process and acclimating to being free of the pills. I remember that feeling of just trying to do "normal" everyday activities and finding them a challenge. That will pass. I found that setting one goal a day was sufficient and kept me from setting myself up for failure. You are so blessed that you have a husband who is supportive in words and actions. I am single, but my parents and good friends were there to help me through.
Just want you to know you continue to be in my prayers. I don't know where you are on your faith journey, but please know that you are not alone. There is always One there to help you through. My current prayer is for you to not have any cravings.
Dawn
Old 07-26-2004, 10:03 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi, Jane. You sound good, in spite of what you are going through. Your attitude is great.

The sweats will pass, thank goodness! Dawn's right, your body is readjusting. Keep us posted on how you are feeling?
Ash
Old 07-26-2004, 04:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi dawn and ashley! {my angels!}
I did real well today...went in to see my doctor and he is keeping me on my anti-anxiety meds! YAY! We had a nice long talk and some hugs...he's great and had been so worried about me! I had to have someone drive me in...still weak and had to nap after that, but I got up early today...6am!!!

Still abit frustrated about not being able to do much...actually getting ready to walk around block with hubby and dog when I finish here and then watch Starsky and Hutch movie we rented. :spectacle ..I will defantely be exhausted by bedtime!

ABSOLUTELY NO CRAVINGS!!! {I'm amazed!} Just positive thoughts about the future! Bless you both and I will write more tomorrow when i can...got to deal with paying bills and insurance co tomorrow...not looking forward to that! UGG!
((((((HUGS)))))))
jane
Old 07-26-2004, 06:06 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Smile You are doing great!

[SIZE=5]
Jane,
I am so glad to hear from you--you are in my thoughts alot and my prayers daily. I am so happy to hear no cravings. That has been my specific prayer for you. I know prayer works, because it worked for me--I can truly say I never had a craving. That does not mean I have never thought about how nice it would be to take a couple of pills, but it is different than that feeling of panic at not having a pill to take and the deep hunger and need for it.
Another thing I want you to be aware of so you are not freaked out if it happens is that it is not uncommon to have what my therapist called "using dreams." In fact she said it is very normal to dream that you are using or in the process of looking for pills or something like that. It used to scare me when I had them, but after awhile I realized that when I had those dreams, I was stressed about something. Even almost 6 years later, I still occaisionally have a using dream. So I become Ms. Freud :sleeping1 and try to figure out what is going on in my life I am trying to supress.
Drink lots of water and keep your nutrition up. That will help with the fatigue and good for you on the walks. That will get those natural endorphins a flowing!
If you don't hear from me for a bit, I am just on vacation--going to spoil my 2 nephews rotten for a few days. I may pick up email from my brother's but if you don't hear from me doesn't mean I am not sending positive vibes your way and prayers to Him!
Bless you--and tell your husband what a special man he is!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Dawn!
I spoke to the doctor from the detox center today {had a few questions about the catapress patches still on my back} and he was amazed that I have been sparred some of the usual WD symptoms such as direahhea, vomiting {UKK, etc} and that I have been walking about 2 blocks at least every other day! I still am tired and have abit of "brain freeze", but all in all today was better than yesterday! I believe in the prayers and am so thankful to have them! {sending some back your way!}Thank you!!!

Yes, I knew about the dreams, but haven't had one yet even though I am also dealing with alot of stress with my father who is very ill right now...we think he had a stroke...and my daughter being gone for so long on vacation. {I miss my baby!} But I am coping..have some new "tools"..thank God!!

Listen...you have a wonderful vacation and ENJOY yourself!! you most certainly deserve! (((HUGS)))
jane
Old 07-27-2004, 02:22 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Jane, it is wonderful that you don't have those symptoms!!! Perhaps your fatigue will be short-lived as well, and you will feel as good as new in no time.

I'm hoping that you do!

I'm curious (no need to share if you don't want to, of course!), did they give you any other meds besides the catapres? I mean like an anti depressant or anything?
Ash
Old 07-28-2004, 07:20 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Smile

Mornin Ashley!
Guess I spoke too soon...had a bout with direahhea this morning {TMI...sorry}, but honestly think it was the chili dog I ate last night when hubbs and I ate at DQ! {LOL} Anyways, it has since passed, but I am feeling pretty drained today...just trying to do what i can and be happy with it. My doc at detox center that I spoke to yesterday said to think of it as if I had just had major gaul bladder surgery and that it would take time to heal...ugg, don't like the sound of that! This has just got to pass soon....I'm such an inpatient person and used to doing everything for my family! GRRrr! Daughter won't be home from beach until sunday, but I'm already stressing that I won't be able to keep up as normal! {LAUNDRY!!! OH MY!!}
I find myself talking to myself more {LOL}...hope they don't haul my butt off to a nuthouse or something! LOL! I tell myself to get the heck up and get moving...it usually works, so that's a good thing! LOL! Seriously tho, since when did just making the bed in the mornings become an aerobic activity??? JEEZ, that's a toughie!!!

Ash, you had asked about meds at detox...they gave me 2-catapress patches and in pill form...my BP went low and they had to cut back on pill form...also, Klonipin for anxiety and also to try to wean me off the xanax {which I refused...had to call "patient advocates" on their butts {LONG STORY which I will certainly tell later because sometimes you just know in your heart that your right about your decissions for yourself!!!!! } whew!...also gave me Melatonin for sleep...wonderful, all natural stuff that really works...safe enough for a 3-yr old to take!...Ultram for pain {UGG!} and vitamins every morning. I now am taking only Ibuprofen every 6 hrs for pain, my usual xanax perscription that my dr thankfully saw fit to keep me on, the Melatonin at night and a multi-vitamin....if my TMJ persists, I will add either Bextra or Vioxx {later on} and nothing more! The way i see it, my body will eventually learn to cope with the pain alot better on its own...and especially if I can get fit again, Lord willing!!!

Shower time! About worn myself out here {daggone brain freeze}...I really want to post in some other forums here, but just not up to it yet...looking for my roommate from detox to pop in sometime {MEL?? Where are you?}..I pray she is OK as she had a wonderful sense of humor that I love!!
CLEAN 9-DAYS!!!!!!! YAYYY!!!
((((HUGS))))) for all!
jane