Blogs


Notices

Dr. Silkworth on Alcoholics and Human Nature

Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,476
Originally Posted by Greenwood618 View Post
That's why some alcoholics from some groups have so many yummy little relapses. One one hand, they are powerless over an awesome disease. On the other, they have to go around asking for forgiveness for behavior that isn't their responsibility. I'd drink to if I had to do that all the time.
Stubbornly Dogmatic in your views much? Lol
Hawks is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Better when never is never
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin near Twin Cities
Posts: 1,745
Originally Posted by Greenwood618 View Post
Every other answer leads only back to the bottle.
Luckily, the motivation is irrelevant to the solution.
jazzfish is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jazzfish For This Useful Post:
Wholesome (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 170
I have no ecumenical responsibility to you. I don't care if you drink of not. No one does. But I would absolutely rather drink for the rest of my natural life that have to pretend I have a disease and spend my free time in church basements.
Greenwood618 is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,476
Originally Posted by Greenwood618 View Post
I have no ecumenical responsibility to you. I don't care if you drink of not. No one does. But I would absolutely rather drink for the rest of my natural life that have to pretend I have a disease and spend my free time in church basements.
I'd rather be correctly informed with the facts as presented by science than to be walking around thinking I know better.

kinda like I don't believe the earth is flat, ya know?

Cause there's photos taken from space. Evidence.

Maybe you should try to have the AMA change their diagnosis on Alcoholism.

You have an opinion, so that's a start.

Build your case, gather the evidence.

The world awaits
Hawks is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
voices ca**y
 
silentrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. Paul Minnesota
Posts: 3,822
Blog Entries: 1
Hawks you are about one post away from turning this into a spot the logical fallacies thread.
silentrun is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silentrun For This Useful Post:
freshstart57 (02-20-2015), jaynie04 (02-21-2015), jazzfish (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Member
 
biminiblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 22,123
biminiblue is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biminiblue For This Useful Post:
happycampers (02-22-2015), jazzfish (02-20-2015), Wholesome (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
voices ca**y
 
silentrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. Paul Minnesota
Posts: 3,822
Blog Entries: 1
You eat popcorn Bimi therefore your point is invalid
silentrun is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to silentrun For This Useful Post:
biminiblue (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,476
"About" one post away?

Can you please be more specific, and support your claims with peer reviewed white papers.

Hawks is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawks For This Useful Post:
Wholesome (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Member
 
biminiblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 22,123
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
biminiblue is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biminiblue For This Useful Post:
Hawks (02-20-2015), Shining~Again (02-22-2015), Wholesome (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,476
Nice one Bimini.

It's only 15 degrees in Melbourne this morning.

Normally the temperature at this time of year is 20 plus.

I'm now convinced global warming is in the fantasies of over zealous do gooders.

I think I'll smoke a hundred cigarettes later, after all, the health warnings are obvious bunkum.

Probably another thing made up on a whim by the AMA and their cronies.

I'd like to see their evidence........ Pffffftttt.
Hawks is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Member
 
biminiblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 22,123
*sigh* It's turtles all the way down, H.
biminiblue is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,476
"Turtles all the way down" is a jocular expression of the infinite regress problem in cosmology posed by the "unmoved mover" paradox. The metaphor in the anecdote represents a popular notion of the myth that Earth is actually flat and is supported on the back of a World Turtle, which itself is propped up by a chain of larger and larger turtles. Questioning what the final turtle might be standing on, the anecdote humorously concludes that it is "turtles all the way down".

I guess that's a good way to put it.

Ignore the science / reality / evidence and substitute your own opinion.

Must remember that one.
Hawks is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawks For This Useful Post:
jazzfish (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Member
 
JeffreyAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,183
Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Unfortunately your opinion counts for very little Jeffrey
Not much else to say to you I guess.
JeffreyAK is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic
 
awuh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,510
Originally Posted by Greenwood618 View Post
The world has way to many people giving recovery advice without the slightest knowledge of what motivates drunks.

And there is only one answer to that: the desire for the deeply pleasurable sensations of alcohol intoxication.

Everything flows from that and anything that contradicts that is pure nonsense,
How about a desire for oblivion due to extreme guilt. How about extreme anxiety in social situations. How about symptoms of PTSD due to past traumatic experience. These are just the first three that come to mind. For you it may have been the "pleasurable sensations" of intoxication, but that is not generalizable to everyone with an alcohol problem. In fact, I think this is the point of the OP in this thread regarding "alcoholic personalty". Be careful with your generalizations.

I realize that I did make a sort of a broad generalization myself earlier in this thread. But I'm stickin to it. There's evidence for it in this thread.
awuh1 is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to awuh1 For This Useful Post:
Carlotta (02-20-2015), mavrick (02-20-2015), Shining~Again (02-22-2015), tomsteve (02-21-2015), Turtle82 (02-21-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
voices ca**y
 
silentrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. Paul Minnesota
Posts: 3,822
Blog Entries: 1
Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Chuck Norris
silentrun is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to silentrun For This Useful Post:
jaynie04 (02-21-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
How about a desire for oblivion due to extreme guilt. How about extreme anxiety in social situations. How about symptoms of PTSD due to past traumatic experience. These are just the first three that come to mind. For you it may have been the "pleasurable sensations" of intoxication, but that is not generalizable to everyone with an alcohol problem. In fact, I think this is the point of the OP in this thread regarding "alcoholic personalty". Be careful with your generalizations.

I realize that I did make a sort of a broad generalization myself earlier in this thread. But I'm stickin to it. There's evidence for it in this thread.
Those are all just euphemisms for pleasure. If you didn't like it, you wouldn't do it.
Greenwood618 is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Dee74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 195,070
Blog Entries: 1
and now a word from our sponsor

Originally Posted by MorningGlory
Discussions are fine. Respectful disagreements are fine too. I consider a discussion a conversation when all parties are listening to each other and sharing ideas. Respectful disagreements are disagreements that still allow the other person their own opinion. Discussions are showing an interest in understanding why another feels a certain way. We listen intently as they explain themselves and are free to admit any error in our own ways of thinking. A discussion is a cooperative effort and seeks resolution resulting in a peaceful end even when there are disagreements. Discussions help all to gain a better understanding of both sides of the issue.

Debates [for the purpose of this forum] are when posters only want to express themselves and discredit the opinions of others in a disrespectful way. Attacking someone else's ideas is not appropriate...Posts that flame or mock another recovery method, spiritual belief, sexual preference, race, disability, mental illness, moderator, or member etc.. are inappropriate. Off site links with similar content are also inappropriate.
Dee
Moderator
SR
Dee74 is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
awuh1 (02-20-2015), Carlotta (02-20-2015), Fly N Buy (02-21-2015), jazzfish (02-20-2015), silentrun (02-22-2015), tomsteve (02-21-2015), TryTryAgain (02-22-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way
 
GerandTwine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: US
Posts: 1,414
Blog Entries: 13
I depended upon drinking alcohol all through my twenties. I knew it was for the feeling I got when alcohol influenced my brain. Yes, a deep, deep pleasure. Everything bad connected to it was worth it until I switched sides and took a serious stand against my habituated appetite.

Alcohol is a specific substance, and the way the human brain functions organically is pretty much the same with everybody. So, I suppose like the simple blackening of the lungs from tobacco smoke, evidence of prolonged alcohol use in the brain makes some sense. But I don't believe that would destroy a person's ability to make decisions when not under the influence (such as a Big Plan and practicing Addictive Voice Recognition Technique).

I also believe it is quite easy to lead a person through any "relapse" to logically understand that pleasure was and is the single goal. All other reasons are an attempt to ameliorate the audience.

OK, when did you first get the idea to drink some more?
blah blah blah.
OK, so you had these bad thoughts and feelings you wanted to get rid of by drinking, right?
yes
So, there you were in this undesirable state. Where did you go to get the alcohol?
blah, blah, blah
OK, sooner or later, you were in possession of some alcohol and in a position to drink it. Maybe alone, or in a bar, or wherever. Maybe you stormed out of the house in your bad mood and were off to the local gin mill.
Yeah.
As you brought that glass with the tinkling ice and familiar volatile aroma to your lips, you finally took that first sip or slug or gulp. You felt the alcohol in your mouth and throat, and, Oh, YEAAAHHHHHH!!!! "Boy, I sure needed that."
right
Well, let's stop right there for a moment. That very instant of swallowing the first sip.

How were you feeling at that VERY INSTANT?

GREAT! JUST GREAT!

OK, what was your blood alcohol level at that very instant?

Um, well, I guess it was still zero.

EXACTLY!

Your blood alcohol level was ZERO, and you were already feeling GREAT!

I rest my case. You were NOT drinking alcohol to get rid of any undesirable thoughts or feelings.
You had ALREADY GOTTEN RID OF THEM AND YOUR BLOOD ALCOHOL LEVEL WAS STILL ZERO!
GerandTwine is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GerandTwine For This Useful Post:
Greenwood618 (02-20-2015), Shining~Again (02-22-2015), TryTryAgain (02-22-2015), Wholesome (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
I depended upon drinking alcohol all through my twenties. I knew it was for the feeling I got when alcohol influenced my brain. Yes, a deep, deep pleasure. Everything bad connected to it was worth it until I switched sides and took a serious stand against my habituated appetite.

Alcohol is a specific substance, and the way the human brain functions organically is pretty much the same with everybody. So, I suppose like the simple blackening of the lungs from tobacco smoke, evidence of prolonged alcohol use in the brain makes some sense. But I don't believe that would destroy a person's ability to make decisions when not under the influence (such as a Big Plan and practicing Addictive Voice Recognition Technique).

I also believe it is quite easy to lead a person through any "relapse" to logically understand that pleasure was and is the single goal. All other reasons are an attempt to ameliorate the audience.

OK, when did you first get the idea to drink some more?
blah blah blah.
OK, so you had these bad thoughts and feelings you wanted to get rid of by drinking, right?
yes
So, there you were in this undesirable state. Where did you go to get the alcohol?
blah, blah, blah
OK, sooner or later, you were in possession of some alcohol and in a position to drink it. Maybe alone, or in a bar, or wherever. Maybe you stormed out of the house in your bad mood and were off to the local gin mill.
Yeah.
As you brought that glass with the tinkling ice and familiar volatile aroma to your lips, you finally took that first sip or slug or gulp. You felt the alcohol in your mouth and throat, and, Oh, YEAAAHHHHHH!!!! "Boy, I sure needed that."
right
Well, let's stop right there for a moment. That very instant of swallowing the first sip.

How were you feeling at that VERY INSTANT?

GREAT! JUST GREAT!

OK, what was your blood alcohol level at that very instant?

Um, well, I guess it was still zero.

EXACTLY!

Your blood alcohol level was ZERO, and you were already feeling GREAT!

I rest my case. You were NOT drinking alcohol to get rid of any undesirable thoughts or feelings.
You had ALREADY GOTTEN RID OF THEM AND YOUR BLOOD ALCOHOL LEVEL WAS STILL ZERO!
Bravo!

And what other disease disappears when the sufferer merely changes his or her behavior?

In addition, the Journal of the American Med. Assn. has published and endorsed junk science before. Just because they say so don't make it so. In addition, not many other countries consider it a disease.

And in almost everyone's gut, the truth is known. Even little kids know, they know people can choose their behaviors.
Greenwood618 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Greenwood618 For This Useful Post:
GerandTwine (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,476
And on the day that a drink becomes a necessity to function as a going human concern, the pleasure is dispensed with.

If I don't have a couple of shots to stop the shaking of my hands, I'll have to go to work today and withdraw from physical addiction to alcohol in front of the entire work place.

Then I'll be sacked, my income is lost, my family might go hungry and the bank may foreclose on the mortgage.

Would you define that as "necessity" or "pleasure"

I'm going to work half cut today because I like being at work half cut

Or

I'm going to work today half cut because if I don't, the consequences are diabolical.

If you haven't been there, you are lucky.

Might start off with the seeking of pleasure, but it progresses past that.

The fun / pleasure stops and the living hell begins.

Party time is over.

Without alcohol I'm a shaking, shivering mess and I wish to hell that wasn't the case, but it is what it is, so I drink so my life doesn't get any worse.

Where is the pleasure in that?

And down the track that morning drink won't stay down and blood appears in your vomit.

But if one doesn't stay down, it's physical withdrawal in public..... So it's keep trying till one stays down.

Pleasure, fun, hilarity?

Party party?

Sounds like an illness has taken over to me, but Ymmv.
Hawks is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:56 AM.