Old 02-20-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

I depended upon drinking alcohol all through my twenties. I knew it was for the feeling I got when alcohol influenced my brain. Yes, a deep, deep pleasure. Everything bad connected to it was worth it until I switched sides and took a serious stand against my habituated appetite.

Alcohol is a specific substance, and the way the human brain functions organically is pretty much the same with everybody. So, I suppose like the simple blackening of the lungs from tobacco smoke, evidence of prolonged alcohol use in the brain makes some sense. But I don't believe that would destroy a person's ability to make decisions when not under the influence (such as a Big Plan and practicing Addictive Voice Recognition Technique).

I also believe it is quite easy to lead a person through any "relapse" to logically understand that pleasure was and is the single goal. All other reasons are an attempt to ameliorate the audience.

OK, when did you first get the idea to drink some more?
blah blah blah.
OK, so you had these bad thoughts and feelings you wanted to get rid of by drinking, right?
yes
So, there you were in this undesirable state. Where did you go to get the alcohol?
blah, blah, blah
OK, sooner or later, you were in possession of some alcohol and in a position to drink it. Maybe alone, or in a bar, or wherever. Maybe you stormed out of the house in your bad mood and were off to the local gin mill.
Yeah.
As you brought that glass with the tinkling ice and familiar volatile aroma to your lips, you finally took that first sip or slug or gulp. You felt the alcohol in your mouth and throat, and, Oh, YEAAAHHHHHH!!!! "Boy, I sure needed that."
right
Well, let's stop right there for a moment. That very instant of swallowing the first sip.

How were you feeling at that VERY INSTANT?

GREAT! JUST GREAT!

OK, what was your blood alcohol level at that very instant?

Um, well, I guess it was still zero.

EXACTLY!

Your blood alcohol level was ZERO, and you were already feeling GREAT!

I rest my case. You were NOT drinking alcohol to get rid of any undesirable thoughts or feelings.
You had ALREADY GOTTEN RID OF THEM AND YOUR BLOOD ALCOHOL LEVEL WAS STILL ZERO!