Big Plan

Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
About those two aspects; for me, the separation "part" of AVRT is actually a one word description of Addictive Voice Recognition Technique - doing it separates me from my Beast. The acceptance "part" of AVRT was the graduating out of recovery and getting my Ph(ormer) D(runk) by actually making the BP. That acceptance was a huge once in a lifetime event for me because I knew what NEVER meant (as I suspect all people do); I knew I had lied to others in the past about "never drinking again"; and I knew that I couldn't lie to myself.

Learning AVRT (separation) led me to make (accept) the BP that I will never drink again and also realize (accept) the phenomenal conclusion that I had quite healthfully and permanently found myself completely independent of the Recovery Group Movement.

For me that conclusion was phenomenal because I had been within the RGM for over ten years at that point in my life. I think for people who have never become part of the RGM and use AVRT to quit for good, that acceptance of getting beyond recovery is simply a logical conclusion.
This is what I really needed to hear. GT I believe that to be the real crux of my issue with the BP...acceptance... My food for thought today.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Sugar, nicotine, binge eating, and caffeine...compulsively fixating on your own boo-tay...whatever it may be. AVRT is simply a strategy for stopping a behavior that is causing you problems. If you've read the book, the author defines "addiction" as that point when we decide to stop something, then find we cannot easily stop.

If I smoke, and have no desire to quit. I am not torn about it. I'm not torn because I'm not trying to quit. No beast activity...right? why would there be? I'm happily smoking. It's when I'm not happily smoking, and not happily quitting either, that's the definition of addiction. I'm not addicted until I try to stop...make sense?

Sugar, binge eating, boo-tay self worship...those aren't addictions until the individual experiences discomfort. I'm only going to end any addiction when it becomes too uncomfortable in some way to continue it. I can stay uncomfortable for a long time too, if I choose to. Or I can choose to end the discomfort.

That's when the technique can be helpful.

In the portfolio example or rollerblading example, I'm not clear on what behavior you are trying to stop.
thanks mate I happily smoke too much. Its when I drink too much that I become miserable and want to stop. Hence coming here