Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Random Thoughts on Being Religious in Secular Recovery

Random Thoughts on Being Religious in Secular Recovery

Old 07-26-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

ananda...no eeeeeks on your truth! It is how you got and stay sober!

I had to laugh at your comment about learning from those who are not in aa and it sometimes being code for what you don't want. (not this time) I appreciate your honesty, I always wondered after being attacked by an angry aa member what they meant by "I have learned from you." LOL

To think there is one way anywhere is narrow minded, you my friend are as open minded as they come, an admiral quality!

Thanks for the thumbs up....truth be told somedays I can't figure myself out!!! LOL
Progress not perfection!
Old 07-26-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always wondered after being attacked by an angry aa member what they meant by "I have learned from you." LOL
LOL with me, I've sometimes suspected it may be along the lines of 'I have learnt from you Dee74....that you are a

D
Old 07-26-2008, 09:46 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Wonderful share Rufus!

Love & peace

Mala
Old 07-26-2008, 10:26 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Rufus, so glad you are getting help in the program of AA. We have a wonderful secular forum for those that work the steps and are agnostic. I'm not one of them though. I'm very religious and work a secular recovery. This forum is where I come when I need to discuss my secular program.

I think you may get more responses in the Secular 12 steps forum though. BTW, I do believe in a major greater power, my HP put a great wheel of recovery in motion for me. Its up to me to make use it.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

LOL I hear you Dee!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thank you, each!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hey all! I have not been about as we are buying a house and WOW that is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more work than I ever knew! It is sooo freaking cool though! LOL

This is a FABULOUS thread and I thank you for posting this one!

I too am religious, but my beliefs are that God helps those who help themselves. My God is not loving me conditionally. Thus if I relapse, I have not lost connection with him/her/it. I do not have a relationship with him/her/it based on whether I stay clean or not. If I stay clean today it is because I chose to do so and not because God or whatever sat on me and did it for me. If I use it is not because God has forsaken me, it is because I chose to do something really stupid considering my history of more than one is not enough! LOL I have always had faith and though it changes and grows I believe my divine power had no hand in my not getting in trouble in my bad behaviors. I think that my divine being is a bit too busy to micromanage the lives of every person screwing up in the world as that is ALLLLLL of us at one time or another! LOL

I work on sobriety through positive focus. I am powerful and work on increasing my power to choose right from wrong and habitually choosing to do right makes the bad habits fade with time. I also find that the less I focus on recovery stuff and the more I focus on life, the more my life becomes "normal." When I was living in that recovery mentality I was focusing on not getting high and the brain not recognizing "not's" was focusing on getting high. I was living in fear of it and living in the problem to be living in a recovery focus. To focus on positives and what I want has eliminated that fight.

This is just my perspective though and I realize that we are all individuals. What works for me is a rational approach. There is no mystery or ****** medicine... no magic. Just a simple choice...

My faith is unshaken and is personal to me.

Cool thread! Thank you!

T
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Thinkingabit View Post
Hey all! I have not been about as we are buying a house and WOW that is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more work than I ever knew! It is sooo freaking cool though! LOL
/Sarcasm on
Next thing I know you'll be using the fact you are moving furniture in and the lack of internet access as a reason not to post. Don't you have priorities? Leaving us for a bit just to buy a house ... sheeesh

/Sarcasm off

This is a FABULOUS thread and I thank you for posting this one!
You have a great post here as well. Thanks for contributing. Threads are only as good as the posts on them.

I too am religious, but my beliefs are that God helps those who help themselves. My God is not loving me conditionally. Thus if I relapse, I have not lost connection with him/her/it. I do not have a relationship with him/her/it based on whether I stay clean or not. If I stay clean today it is because I chose to do so and not because God or whatever sat on me and did it for me. If I use it is not because God has forsaken me, it is because I chose to do something really stupid considering my history of more than one is not enough! LOL I have always had faith and though it changes and grows I believe my divine power had no hand in my not getting in trouble in my bad behaviors. I think that my divine being is a bit too busy to micromanage the lives of every person screwing up in the world as that is ALLLLLL of us at one time or another! LOL
Sounds like we are really on the same page here. The only difference is when I used I found myself moving away from God. He may not have forsaken me, but I began to ignore him. :-(

I work on sobriety through positive focus. I am powerful and work on increasing my power to choose right from wrong and habitually choosing to do right makes the bad habits fade with time. I also find that the less I focus on recovery stuff and the more I focus on life, the more my life becomes "normal." When I was living in that recovery mentality I was focusing on not getting high and the brain not recognizing "not's" was focusing on getting high. I was living in fear of it and living in the problem to be living in a recovery focus. To focus on positives and what I want has eliminated that fight.
I so understand what you mean. There was 1 (ONE!) AA group in town that only focused on life. Sure recovery was mentioned, but only as it had to do with the normal lives the men were now living. It was great because in early recovery I could see what was ahead of me if I continued to stay clean. Sadly, the time of the meeting makes it impossible for me to attend now.

Cool thread! Thank you!

T
Again thanks for helping to make it a cool thread.