Blogs


Notices

The God Illusion

Old 04-25-2007, 11:06 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Community Greeter
 
indigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mid-Life Express
Posts: 9,930
I'm sorry I couldn't resist this one it is meant in fun it's a pink unicorn not an opinion!
Attached Images
File Type: gif
CANDYMOUNTAIN.gif (8.3 KB, 48 views)
indigo is offline  
Old 04-25-2007, 01:03 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
To Life!
 
historyteach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 9,294
Alera;
I did a quick research, and understand what you're saying. Though that's not the "norm" of Chabad, and those individuals believe that their late chief rabbi, Menachem Mendel Schneerson, is the Messiah. I would agree; that group IS a cult. Jews do not believe that the Messiah has come! LOL! So, I wouldn't even classify them as Jews!

Indie,

Shalom!
historyteach is offline  
Old 04-25-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56
I would classify them as Jews, but way off base. And just a bit creepy. They were not who I had experiences with, though. In a way I appreciate "normal" chabbad, as they do only try to get Jews to be....Jeweyer (word? not really, it feels very John Stewart, though, so it stays!), rather than trying to get non-Jews to become Jews. IF you want to go that way, they can be a big help.
andshewas is offline  
Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Member
 
TexasDumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 365
Wow!

I wish I knew more about what you folks are writing.

I have never heard of "Chabbad."
Maybe, I should Google it and learn for myself.
Here, we don't have many "cults," just country boy and girl Texans!
TexasDumb is offline  
Old 08-13-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
mjs
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: martinsburg wv
Posts: 30
making sense of suffering

think what I was really getting at when I started this thread but didn't realize it at the time was that evil and suffering is evidence against God. I found a new way of looking at it though when I read "The Reason for God" by Tim Keller. First he summarizes J.L. Mackies case made against God(The Miracle of Theism)...if a good and powerful God exists he would not allow pointless evil,but because there is much unjustifiable, pointless evil in the world, the traditional good and powerful God could not exist. Some other god or no god may exist, but not the traditional God. Then he refutes this.." Tucked away within the assertion that the world is filled with pointless evil is a hidden premise, namely, that if evil appears pointless to me, then it must be pointless. . Just because you can't see or imagine a good reason why God might allow something to happen does not mean there can't be one. Again we see lurking within supposedly hard nosed skepticism an enormous faith in one's own cognitive faculties. If our minds can't plumb the depths of the universe for good answers to suffering,well, then, there can't be any!"

At any rate it is helping me make sense of things...hope it helps you...see ya!!!!
mjs is offline  
Old 08-13-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child
 
windysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: La
Posts: 5,664
I thought this thread was about that terrible band, Styx, written by that guy who hosted Family Feud.
windysan is offline  
Old 08-13-2008, 08:49 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
mjs
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: martinsburg wv
Posts: 30
Hey...I really liked that band...I think I saw them in Wheeling WV back in the day
mjs is offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: little rock, ar
Posts: 98
you know what I don't get?

This is a NONSECULAR forum.

If you are SECULAR, why are you posting here?


I have yet to go to the SECULAR forum, but I am willing to bet 20 bucks that there are not athiests going over there telling people they are crazy and that "there has to NOT be a god".

This isn't a "is god real or is got not real" forum. Like it or not, there are people who to them, there is no god. and need to relate to other people who believe the same. People like myself, who lives in a chem free house with 60 people chanting bible sreputres all day lnog and has his coun sler pulling him aside to preach to him.

There are everyday issues that athiests deal with that need everyday attention. I had friends I no longer have simply because they found out we dont' believe in the same god. You know how bad that hurts?

this is real ****, this isn't a fraking debate forum.
VengeanceofRain is offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: little rock, ar
Posts: 98
and just to throw my 2 cents in, the whole "is god real" is the stupidist debate a person can have. people waste lives with this debate.

We all were presented wtih some information. Some chose to believe this information, some chose not to. HOw stupid and silly is it to yell, argue, and in some cases, hell alot of cases, KILL other people becuase you came to a different conclusion?

When I read the bible from cover to cover, and did my research, I found that i did not believe what was there and I"m good with that. When someone else reads it, they are convinced that god HAS to be real. That's good. for them. I can't get mad nor should I and I have no reason to, because we have two different opinions. It's the silliest crap I've ever seen and it pisses me off to no end.
VengeanceofRain is offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Knucklehead
 
doorknob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Davenport, WA
Posts: 4,005
Originally Posted by mjs View Post
think what I was really getting at when I started this thread but didn't realize it at the time was that evil and suffering is evidence against God. I found a new way of looking at it though when I read "The Reason for God" by Tim Keller. First he summarizes J.L. Mackies case made against God(The Miracle of Theism)...if a good and powerful God exists he would not allow pointless evil,but because there is much unjustifiable, pointless evil in the world, the traditional good and powerful God could not exist. Some other god or no god may exist, but not the traditional God. Then he refutes this.." Tucked away within the assertion that the world is filled with pointless evil is a hidden premise, namely, that if evil appears pointless to me, then it must be pointless. . Just because you can't see or imagine a good reason why God might allow something to happen does not mean there can't be one. Again we see lurking within supposedly hard nosed skepticism an enormous faith in one's own cognitive faculties. If our minds can't plumb the depths of the universe for good answers to suffering,well, then, there can't be any!"

At any rate it is helping me make sense of things...hope it helps you...see ya!!!!
Just because you can't see or imagine a good reason why the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not mean there can't be one. Atheism requires no faith. It is simply a lack of belief in assertions that others have made. We're not tying to make sense of things and not looking for help. We're perfectly happy with our secular beliefs. That's why we're here.
doorknob is offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Knucklehead
 
doorknob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Davenport, WA
Posts: 4,005
This thread really is unhelpful. I, personally, would like to see it removed.

DK
doorknob is offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Moderator
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Leaving Sparta
Posts: 2,912
Originally Posted by VengeanceofRain View Post
you know what I don't get?

This is a NONSECULAR forum.

If you are SECULAR, why are you posting here?


I have yet to go to the SECULAR forum, but I am willing to bet 20 bucks that there are not athiests going over there telling people they are crazy and that "there has to NOT be a god".
Near as I can tell this IS the "Secular Forum" and I believe the original poster may have started this thread because they were having doubts about their faith. Where else would you suggest they post?

For someone who believes the God debate is a stupid one you certainly made a good contribution to it...
Peter is offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Knucklehead
 
doorknob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Davenport, WA
Posts: 4,005
Peter, the original poster was a believer who had doubts and came to express those doubts here (I would think the Christian or Spirituality forum would be a better venue if they are desiring to believe). Now, it seems, they have satisfied their doubts and are coming back to enlighten us. Atleast that's my take on it. Peace, DK
doorknob is offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: little rock, ar
Posts: 98
i got secular and spiritual mixed up.


i get mad becuase when I come here I have real secular issues I need to deal with, becuase I damn sure am not getting it where I live or around town, and all I see is "does god exist". if you want to have that debate go to Dawkins internet forum.
VengeanceofRain is offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Moderator
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Leaving Sparta
Posts: 2,912
Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Now, it seems, they have satisfied their doubts and are coming back to enlighten us. Atleast that's my take on it. Peace, DK
I did not get that impression. We all contributed to the thread when it was started, Now we want to kick him/her out because they seem to have found clarification?
Peter is offline  
Old 08-15-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Knucklehead
 
doorknob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Davenport, WA
Posts: 4,005
Yeah, you're right, Peter. Sorry, MJS, my bad. Peace, DK
doorknob is offline  
Old 08-16-2008, 01:16 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
mjs
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: martinsburg wv
Posts: 30
no worries I tried to move this to the spirituality section but it ended up here...
mjs is offline  
Old 08-16-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Knucklehead
 
doorknob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Davenport, WA
Posts: 4,005
Hey MJS, why don't you copy your post and use it to start a new thread in the Spirituality forum?
doorknob is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00 PM.