Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Permanent Abstinence Based Recovery
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion-Part 1

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion-Part 1

Old 08-24-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I am new to this forum, but not new to recovery (please note that when I use the word "recovery" I mean as in "finding something that was lost"...I was lost so I am finding myself again) The reason I have so enjoyed the secular section is because I find that the folks here are more apt to be able to debate civilly and intelligently without resorting to bashing or the old "you just don't get it and you're doomed to failure" mentality. In the short time I've been here, I have found that most are interested in an exchange of ideas and they honor differences. It seems the words "I disagree with you" doesn't freak people out here as much as it does in other places. There seems to be fewer panties in a wad over stuff LOL just my observation....
Old 08-24-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
......There seems to be fewer panties in a wad over stuff LOL just my observation....
It's because we rarely wear underwear, and when we do it's usually something unusual.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
HAHAAAAA right on vlad

see what I mean?? a sense of humor...now that's refreshing
Old 08-24-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Quote:

Originally Posted by soberlicious
......There seems to be fewer panties in a wad over stuff LOL just my observation....

Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
It's because we rarely wear underwear, and when we do it's usually something unusual.
it's funny cuz it's true! definitely a sense of humor here alright.

So I went back and checked the posting rules, just in case I missed something and I found this:

2. We do not endorse any particulars group name or affiliate our forums with any organization. Mention of a particulars group name is only used to help members assemble their topics and posts in an orderly manner.

so as I understand it then, there should not be a problem posting secular issues in the main forums! not that I intend to be a s*** disturber but really. I know, I know I am not verboten to post secular ideas in the main forums but y'all know how it goes. Just working out loud... sometimes words just tumble out of my mouth without thinking first...
Old 08-24-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Ideally, I would like Rational Recovery, if not directly linked from the "Recovery Programs and Resources" sticky, to at least be mentioned, but that is not likely to happen if threads mentioning it always devolve into irrelevant arguments.

As for disturbing people, I can almost guarantee you that my name on here is already doing that, since some have actually requested that I change it and my signature line.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
As for disturbing people, I can almost guarantee you that my name on here is already doing that, since some have actually requested that I change it and my signature line.
your signature line is what drew me to this forum - and I am one of those who received info from you via pm (so thanks!) Why anyone would ask you to change it is beyond me - way to stick to your guns. There are links to other sites, even direct excerpts from books and a link to RR is not possible? I keep hearing of a "past" between Trimpey and SR but nothing verifiable. I suppose it could be RR not wanting the link since I am just assuming that it is SR.

Anyway, I am still in the first third of the book and glad that this thread IS here. keep it up everyone!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

There is a similar division in the weight-loss arena. The low-carb group and the low-fat group are battling each other for supremacy to the point that they don't realize they're both successfully helping people lose weight. Different approaches work for different people. It's too bad these things become crusades.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

wait...what?? asked you to change your signature line?? who does something like that? I am disheartened to hear that. I enjoy strong opinions... even heated debates, but that can be done with a measure of decorum.

hmmmm this is all very curious indeed.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

ok, I feel we're drifting a little from the thread topic.

I'm proud of the good work the team does here to help so many, and keep this place an arena for so many different and often competing ideas and schools of thought.

It's not always easy....

If you have any questions or comments about SR please feel free to drop your favorite mod or admin a PM.

for now though - lets get back to discussing addictive voice recognition technique

thanks,

D
Old 08-24-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

will do
Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
wait...what?? asked you to change your signature line?? who does something like that?
Don't worry, I'm content to be able to make people aware of AVRT, and to clarify it for those who have asked for information. Having been on the "other side" for longer than many, I am quite mindful of the juggling act the mods must have on their hands.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:52 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

This AV talks to me right in the middle of me actually talking to someone today. I lost my train of thought and stopped talking. He told me that I can't be outgoing without him, lol. I feel this is my last power struggle with him as I have already beaten him in many ways...chores, errands, working out, ect. I am new to recovery..bout 3-4weeks. With 8days totally clean(gave in a few times). This voice reminds me of when I quit smoking cigs. But he does seem a little harder to pinpoint at times with the oxybeast. I have started my AVRT reading so I am still learning Alot But, this reading is giving me the courage and strength. I was defianlty on the verge, convincing myself it was me. But from my reading I was in the grip of addiction. I am gaining momentum in this area. Me,my,I voice is getting louder starting today!!! Oh thank you, thank you, thank you that I found you guys here. If any of this makes sense to you. Its almost 4 a.m. and I tend to ramble on. I think he tells me I can't sleep either, when in reality if and when I can get him to shut up..I know I could sleep. Actually, I will not entertain his thoughts. Goodnite.
I love this forum, too.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

This has been a really helpful thread for me - has steered me in a great direction with books, etc and general knowledge of RR, etc.

I have to say, having been a part of other online forums in the past, I was at first surprised by how quickly the moderators jump in here. At first it came across as a bit censoring. But in thinking it over some more, it seems 99% of the forums I have been part of have definitely had their fair share (to put it mildly) of pot stirrers and drama and name calling. I've seen threads quickly devolve. Given the nature of what this site is about (and that I feel personally my life is literally on the line in terms of finding the tools to remain sober), it seems like having more intervention than not is best in order to keep the place a friendly and welcoming place to post.

I'm reading "Rational Steps to Quitting Alcohol" right now by Albert Ellis and Emmett Velten. Good stuff!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiddo588 View Post
This AV talks to me right in the middle of me actually talking to someone today. I lost my train of thought and stopped talking. He told me that I can't be outgoing without him, lol. I feel this is my last power struggle with him as I have already beaten him in many ways...chores, errands, working out, ect.
I am generally guarded, and I don't like to "share" with people I don't trust. For many years, I enjoyed the lack of inhibition brought on by alcohol. Naturally, when I quit, I returned to my normal self, but I still hear the old AV at parties telling me how much easier it would be to socialize with a few drinks.

I just tell myself that, yes, while I would be more likely to talk if I had a few drinks, they would probably be the ramblings of a poisoned mind. I recognize the AV for what it is - the Beast trying to use my guarded personality as another excuse for IT to get loaded, remind myself that I never drink, and go about my business.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't seen any indication that this thread or the RR method has bothered any of our members. The topics that bother members of any recovery method is when the poster puts down one method to promote another method.

The history with RR members and Jack is that RR members came through here a few years ago and behaved like trolls. They created numerous member names and caused us to lose many members. They put us all through a horrible ordeal. Until now there has never been a civil discussion concerning RR or any real discussion on the technique. Every RR member who joined the forums would only link to RR and bash other programs.

The members would then go back to the RR forum and ridicule our members and laugh at the problems they were causing. The owner of SR joined the RR forum to talk to them and try to solve the problem and Jack banned him immediately and called him the beast.

I am not aware of anyone asking AVRT to change his name or signature so I can't comment on that.

If I am strict with our policies it is for the purpose of creating a successful environment so you can all succeed in your recovery. The problems we've had in the past guide me with those decisions so the whole thing doesn't fall apart again.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Thank you morning glory, for the background. It certainly puts things here into perspective. I am hopeful that it was an extremist group of RR-ers responsible for that. Although the direct involvement of jack trimpey has me concerned. The secular people I have met here thus far seem quite respectful and just looking for an alternative outlet. I hope that continues.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
Until now there has never been a civil discussion concerning RR or any real discussion on the technique.
I'll take that as a good sign, then. :-)

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
If I am strict with our policies it is for the purpose of creating a successful environment so you can all succeed in your recovery. The problems we've had in the past guide me with those decisions so the whole thing doesn't fall apart again.
Certainly understandable.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Kudos to AVRT (the member) - I'm learning a lot about the AVRT method (previously unknown to me before).
Old 08-25-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wellwisher View Post
Kudos to AVRT (the member) - I'm learning a lot about the AVRT method (previously unknown to me before).
To be frank, wellwisher, I wasn't going to bother with this until you told me that it would probably be a good idea to do so, and that "something" had to be done differently, or nothing would change. That got me thinking, and eventually I concluded that you were right. So, just for the record, those of you who like this thread should know that it was a devoted AA member who pushed me to do it.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I was wondering if someone could give me some more history on the RR/SR/Jack Trimpey thing. I know they split because Jack wanted to go for profit. I'm reading The Small Book, as recommended by SR, but found the Rational Recovery book kind of bizarre. It seems like Jack Trimpey kind of wigged out by his second book. I've also explored the RR website and Jack's persoanl website. Any help?