Notices

Steely Stops Smoking

Old 01-15-2020, 06:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I finally gave in and got Chantix in order to quit. I was hesitant, because I had heard some things about side effects, but it went well for me and was the little extra push I needed. I had been trying unsuccessfully to quit for YEARS. I would get to a week or two and then cave in. Always some kind of excuse or reason to smoke again. I knew I needed to get a solid month or so behind me before it would become easier. I was only smoking about 6-7 cigarettes a day by the time I went on the Chantix, but I couldn't kick those last few. (I had smoked as much as a pack a day for a while in my 40's but had cut way back by the time I was 50 and was down to a half a pack or less a day). I knew I could quit, because I had, for years at a time, throughout my adult life. But I never gave myself an ultimatum, like I did with alcohol. This time, I did. Never again. I will never smoke again. The physical improvements are clear to me. And I'm just so happy to be saving the money, and not smelling like an ashtray all the time.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Way to go Steely and everyone! Like MLD, my husband used Champix successfully. I stopped taking it, then gave it to my friend, he was quitting, then I failed and he offered me his... It was 2 couples quit, dh and my friends wife made it that time. My friend and I were about a year later.
Anyways. keep it up, it is so worth it!
Old 01-16-2020, 05:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you both so much. ❤️

I had a setback 2 days ago where I smoked 3 cigarettes. Stress induced. Back on track now and taking it a day at a time.

Trouble with the Chamix is that I don't tolerate antidepressants. I'm using nicotine replacement therapy and taking it a day at a time. It sure ain't easy.

Thanks for thinking of me.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This ex smoker is cheering you on, Steely. I smoked for years, then closet smoked only a few a day for years (just could not seem to stop completely) and then one day I just did and haven't had a puff since, over 11 years now.

Distracting myself when urges hit helped. Shouting in my brain to myself "NOT AN OPTION" and then I would get up and walk somewhere or pick up something to do and it passed quickly.

It does get better, I promise the day will come when you won't even think about cigarettes and then the day will come where you would not have one, even if they paid you to.

I like French perfume too, that's a good motivator too.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Im so glad to hear that you are right back on track! Way to go. You only fail when you quit trying. I let my "one more" keep me a full time smoker for many years.

Quitting smoking is hard, but we can do hard things! It helped me when I learned that every time I smoked, it just started the physical craving for the next one... Like a very unpleasant merry go round. Everything I thought about smoking was a big giant lie.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your encouragement. Some really great people here, on SR. I haven't been around for a bit because thought my posts were boring, and no one really gave a toss. Found out differently.

Day 17 today and have not smoked since the glitch of 3-4 smokes when visiting my mentally ill brother.

I've been reading QUIT help online and saw something worth remembering.

"There is no such thing as just one cigarette. They travel in packs."
Old 01-26-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

They travel in packs, I laughed outloud! That is funny! Your posts are not boring, Im super glad you are here.

You passed the 2 week mark. That is huge. My first long term quit was 6 months, about 15 years ago. I went back to it, after an exhausting time period with my mentally ill sister. Totally my fault, but I get it. Family can be so hard. Nothing, absolutely nothing is worth smoking over. I tell myself that every single day.

Have you read Allan Carr's book? Game changer!
Old 01-27-2020, 06:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Travelling in packs made me laugh too Libby. But oh, so true. One always leads to another.

Both my daughter, and younger brother have mental illness, so I know what you mean there. The stress can be phenomenal.

I have a copy of Allen Carr's book, but haven't read it yet. Will give it a go tonight. I've only just started reading again as was finding it hard to concentrate.

Day 19 Libby. Heading towards my monthly milestone.

Thanks for your support Libby.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Three weeks today!

Have to admit it was a challenge for both the booze and the tobacco. But I made it out alive.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go steely

D
Old 01-29-2020, 07:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good job steely, Im so proud of you! Stay the course, you are doing awesome!
Old 02-04-2020, 08:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Wanted to say thank you to Ann. And you too Libby.

27 days today. For all those struggling. I really never thought I would be able to do it! But I have. Unbelievable. But no resting on my laurels.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done Steely :

D
Old 02-06-2020, 12:07 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Oh, I am so happy Steely. I came just to see how you were doing, and was so thrilled to see your post! 27 days. Wow! Thats almost like a whole month

Be super proud of yourself. Quitting smoking is hard and you are doing it!
Old 02-06-2020, 05:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Old 02-08-2020, 09:14 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Oh, that is so lovely of you both.....Libby and Dee. ❤️

I don't want to sound like a woos, but it is very unusual for me to receive compliments, made me want to cry. Alcohol deserves no praise, so I get it.

Kicking off with SR.

31 days today!

I've had 5 cigarettes during that time, both related to stress. My daughter and my younger brother, both with schizophrenia.

Not giving myself a hard time.

Am also noticing that I'm not using the replacement therapy near as much. Just walk around with a stupid plastic stick in my mouth with no nicotine in it. I even do it on the bus. I look like a dork.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Afterthought: It's even dorkier to walk around with a 'real' cigarette in my mouth.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:41 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Also wanted to say hi to MLD51 ❤️
Ann ❤️ and
MyLittleHorsie ❤️

The love abounds. Thanks for your support fellow travellers.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Hi Steely! You're doing great!
I'm happy to report I am 6 months, 12 days smoke free now! Oddly enough, I had a few shaky moments in the past week, after going quite some time without even thinking about it. I realized my stress level was through the roof, and that's definitely a trigger for me. I just need to be aware of that. I refuse to go back to smoking. So happy to be free of it.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:23 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

If I could jump in and just say how inspiring you Steelyand all of you are on this thread. It means a lot to me....keep it up. Hope to join soon.