Notices

Weekenders, What I’ve become after booze ~ 03-06 May 2024

Old 05-06-2024, 08:20 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Hodd, great on your 10K race. I really admire long distance runners, I just can't do it Even when I was in grade school, I'd get up early to go running and I did get better but my lungs would kill me. Great accomplishment for you, I did get better. My knees are shot from horse accidents and a few surgeries so I have to do swift walking.
Sao, great pics! I bet around London you get to see all kinds of interesting things. Never been there either. I'd love to visit the UK, including Scotland and I'd love to see Ireland. I'm 33% Irish. I think that's where the horses in my blood come from. Although a lot of my Italian cousins have horses, which kind of surprised me. I think I'm 20% Italian and then 33% Swedish, which makes me light. I even have a little Aegean Islands blood. I had my ancestry done, although I am 100% American. It's kind of interesting.
Grateful to be sober! Grateful to be able to get some things done today and I'll do laundry at my sister's tomorrow. Which is fine. Sometimes in life things work out.
Have a great day all. Love and peace to you all.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:24 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sending positive vibes your way Leshar

Well done D-Dawg, the neutral safety switch (called an inhibitor switch here) are easily overlooked. I had one fail on a VW Scirocco which was anxiety inducing when I didn't know what it was but a relief when I found it was a cheap fix.

Peke, that green* car is an Austin Healy Sprite, often called a Frogeye or Bugeye Sprite. Very cheap to buy and run at the time.

*Lots of old British cars are a variation of that colour - it's known as British Racing Green. Back in the very early days of international motorsport, pre WW1, drivers/teams were generally wealthy and raced for their country - no ads. Spectators complained they didn't know one car from another so they held a meeting in Paris and decided each country should be represented by a colour. They drew lots and the result was:-

USA - White
France - Blue
Germany - Grey which soon morphed into silver
Italy - Red
Britain - Green
Later Spain and Holland would share orange and Japan Yellow.

That's why so many Italian Ferrari's/Alphas/Maserati's etc are red, old British racing cars like Bentleys were green and German teams were called the Silver Arrows

Lousy day here. Endless rain or drizzle.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:44 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Interesting about the cars Saoutchik.
Well done on figuring that one out DD
Sorry about your knee Leshar. It's a bummer when our bodies don't play along.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:55 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Sao, I thought DD was talking about New Orleans as well. I would love to visit there some time too. My mom's been there and I know a couple of people who went to Tulane there. Like a lot of cities, there are some dangerous parts. One person I know who went to Tulane said 4 years in NOLA was enough and that it could be dangerous. Still, so much history and interesting things going on there. I think the food is great too. Great seafood, I would think.
Thanks for sharing the info regarding the cars. So interesting and explains all the red Italian cars. I had no idea. Thank you for educating us on something very interesting.

Take care all!
Old 05-06-2024, 10:18 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Great story, Dog.
Oh Lesh, I’m sorry to hear this. Felt the same way when I tweaked my back. Ice and elevate it as you said. Have NSAIDS helped? Take it easy.
I love that car color, Sao. So elegant. Thanks for the information.
Finally got to sleep last night. Work is going well. Just a few more hours. It’s pouring here, I’ll do weights in the garage.
Hi Aly and everyone!
Aly not sure if we were in touch back then, but in March I went to NOLA for the first time for a destination wedding. Such a party town, and I’m newly sober! I stayed at a large Marriott hotel. There was a pastor convention at the property along with a sex therapist convention. In the elevator ppl were drinking their local drink (a hurricane) out of purple cups. It was wild. 24/7 action.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:18 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
DD, that's a great story! Your pals must have been impressed!
Sao, love all the car photos.

My left knee has blown up and now I have no family doctor, nor any prospect of finding one. It worries me because hiking and the gym routines have become essential for me in sobriety. Just elevating and icing for now.
I hope your knee gets better soon Leshar. I have osteoarthristis in both knees though I'm largely pain free most of the time. However, occasionally my right knee will inflame and it becomes stiff and sore. It has been like this since last week though thankfully the tenderness is now going and I'm moving a lot better. I find elevating helps. So too does doing gentle exercise on my exercise bike as slow pedalling / rotating the knees helps with reducing stiffness.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:15 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone for your support! Peke, I'm taking Aleve when the pain and stiffness get really bad.

Sao, that is so interesting about the country colours!
Old 05-06-2024, 03:30 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Ah right, yes I was thinking of the Bourbon Street in New Orleans. I have never been to New Orleans, despite all the temptations for the reformed alcoholic I would still love to see it one day.

Thanks for the car comments. Steely, I am old enough to remember when "Sprites" were a common sight. Sadly good ones fetch high prices now. Early versions were known as the "frogeye" Sprite in Britain - the "bugeye" Sprite in the US.

Not my pic this

My brother had a blue “bug eye” AH Sprite for many years. So fun to drive but tight in terms of space. Lovely to see one again—thanks for sharing this sao!
Old 05-06-2024, 04:31 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
DD, that's a great story! Your pals must have been impressed!
Sao, love all the car photos.

My left knee has blown up and now I have no family doctor, nor any prospect of finding one. It worries me because hiking and the gym routines have become essential for me in sobriety. Just elevating and icing for now.
could you go to an urgent care centre Leshar?

D
Old 05-06-2024, 05:07 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Administrator

Leshar, I hope you can get some relief for your knee. It sounds painful.

Robbie, I have osteoarthritis too, and like you, I find that keeping moving really helps.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:38 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
The Dog

Once again the severe weather they forecast did not happen. For two days now the weather forecasters have been acting like we would all get blown away by a tornado. One of these days they will end up like the boy who cried wolf.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:13 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Billie and I walked 2.25 miles today! And after she had her supper and went potty, she let me grind her nails down a bit. I do it once a week so don't have to grind them down a lot, just a few seconds on each nail. But she cooperates when I do it and doesn't resist.

Billie's "gotcha" party to celebrate her adoption 8 yrs ago was a success. Ck and sil and their dog Jodie came, also my neighbor and her bf and her little dog Penny came. The dogs got some treats and the humans had coffee and watched the dogs playing together. Penny is kind of intimidated by Billie cause she's over twice the her size, but she likes Jodie cause she's the same size as Penny. They did a lot of butt sniffing and licking each other and played together nicely. Neighbor and bf are closer in age to ck and sil, and get along well, lots to talk about.

Nice day today.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:36 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Oh good, Lesh. Keep it elevated.
The adoption party sounded great, Least. What a terrific idea.

I ran out to the park at lunch to walk my dogs. And I ran into a woman who I had met at a running event two years ago. I didn’t recognize her at first, but then she introduced herself to me again. Anyway, it turns out that her partner just passed away last month of pancreatic cancer. She was walking with her aunt who flew in to console her. as always, I was at a complete loss for words. And then I put the dog’s leashes down and I just embraced her. And she cried. It was an intense moment. No one said anything.

We exchange numbers and I told her that I would love to go on a hike with her or go out for coffee and that we could talk. But on my ride home I was starting to beat myself up because I didn’t hadn’t anything profound/ incredible to say to her. But then I realized there are no right words for that situation. Sometimes just giving someone a hug speaks louder than any words ever could. And I guess I was right because she texted me later on in the day and thanked me for consoling her. it made me feel really good about myself and reinforced me that I don’t need to beat myself up all the time. 😊

After that, I went back to work. My friend texted me around 4 o’clock because there was a break in the weather and at five we went out for an incredible bike ride. I was feeling guilty because I didn’t ride this weekend due to the weather, but it ended up being spectacular ride and we got in well over 20 miles. So it was a great day.
Hugs to all of you.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:45 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Peke, your actions said a thousand words. Sorry your friend’s hubby passed away. It’s a terrible disease.

DD, nice work on the car. we had a weather forecaster in the 80’s who to us there’d be no hurricane and then we had one. He was slated for that. He had a floating shape of the U.K. on water and he’d jump around it to different areas forecasting their weather.

Leshar, I hope elevating your leg has helped your knee go down. Take care and as Dee and Ann mentioned can you get to an urgent care centre? Sending hugs.

Saou, I love the colour coding story for the cars. never knew that.

It’s so dark and gloomy here this morning. How the weather changes from day to day. Or should I say from hour to hour. though no matter the weather it’s a good day to be sober.

Have a good sober day….don’t be afraid to shout out if you’re struggling…I did.

Love to all. xxxx

Old 05-06-2024, 10:16 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Saw doc, all ok. Still sore.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:32 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 307 ODAAT
Old 05-07-2024, 01:46 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
The Dog

Peke you said plenty by embracing her. That was all you needed to say. I do wish you would stop judging yourself afterward.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:07 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 582.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:07 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

You made that poor lady’s day, Peke. You’re so kind.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:44 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

…thanks Hodd. anyone would have done the same thing.
Slept pretty well last night. But I had a drinking dream, although I was able to shake it off quickly. 🙏
Have a great day everyone!