Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Weekenders, Marching Soberly through the weekend, 19-22 April 2024

Notices

Weekenders, Marching Soberly through the weekend, 19-22 April 2024

Old 04-21-2024, 04:21 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Congrats on triple digits Peke!
Old 04-21-2024, 04:56 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Peke, Happy 100 days! 🎉
You sound to be in a much calmer place.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:14 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Happy Sunday All

I count my days the NA way; day one with a welcome key tag (like an AA welcome chip) then 30, 60, 90 days, then count by months until one year chip. next key tag is 18 months, then years after that. Me at 19 months now, I have to calculate the days to know them.

It has taken over a year to get somewhat stable emotionally in my sobriety. A labor of love, actually self-love. I love me today. When I stopped fighting myself in a futile struggle and everything else in life is where I have found calm in my recovery.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:41 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BassetDog View Post
Thanks Sam! Congrats again to you hitting the year mark! Wish I followed suit when we were in the March 2023 class together but can’t change the past. Hope your marathon training goes well!
All that matters is you are here and you didn't give up.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:45 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
^
ODAAT is definitely the right approach BD. My approach is also to try and do today what I won't regret tomorrow. I would regret drinking so I won't drink today.

Congratulations to Weekenders reaching milestones

I hope everyone has a peaceful Saturday.
I love this, Robbie: "try to do today what I won't regret tomorrow." Such a great phrase to live by, thank you.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:50 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Peke, congrats on triple digits!! 100 is such a nice number!

Old 04-21-2024, 08:48 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Triathlon done today 😁 I love the banter and little battles. I’m always surprised how nervous I get and how unprepared I am. I couldn’t find my bike after the swim! It’s all timed, so that all added time! A club mate beat me by 16 seconds - if I’d been more organised … it’s all good fun. I’m doing a few more races this season. It’s not an easy pastime - my legs had cramped up after the bike and I still had to run 5km - but it’s always a sense of achievement and wanting to improve 🙂

Different world from the drinker me 6 or 7 years back.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:59 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Peke, congratulations on your 100 days! How did bike club go. I hope you didn't feel invisible this time. That happened to me sometimes. It's a terrible feeling. I hope all is well with you!
Congrats Hodd on finishing the Triathlon! Major kudos. My old bosses used to be really into those.
Grateful for another sober day! I am terrible with anniversaries, all I know is that I am between 6-7 years sober for which I am completely grateful. I'm struggling with some other stuff though.
Lovely day outside here. Sunny and warm.
Have a great sober day all. Love and peace to all!
Old 04-21-2024, 09:14 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Morning everyone!
Thank you all so much for the support!
Yesterday was great: cycled over 30 miles, hiked and did a long abdominal class.
I’m writing to you from my car. Today is our big marathon and I’m volunteering at an aid station.
Hope everyone is doing well. Checking in later.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:05 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

This is a great thread. My first sober weekend in 15 years and this really helps, thanks.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:27 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
I love this, Robbie: "try to do today what I won't regret tomorrow." Such a great phrase to live by, thank you.
I learned this lesson the hard way, constantly doing things that I regretted the next day. Not only drinking but making poor life choices in general. The latter were usually, though not always, as a consequence of me drinking.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:28 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dogone View Post
This is a great thread. My first sober weekend in 15 years and this really helps, thanks.
Congratulations dogone on a sober weekend.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:41 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I have a question: is it possible to experience PAWs 68 days into sobriety, especially depression and crying? I was feeling great but now I'm struggling with concentration and crying constantly.

I've read about alcohol and GABA and dopamine.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:21 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dogone View Post
NIce work, dogone. Let's hope it's the first of many. I love the feeling of a clear head in the mornings. Sober weekends are a triumph. And they lead to sober weeks which are even better.

Had my first pangs of desire for a pint today. Sunny afternoon, a three our hike with my best buddies and the usual finish in an English country inn for post hike ales. It was easy to ignore those pangs because I don't drink any more, but it was such a romantic notion whilst it lasted.

One month today. Third time lucky.

Best wishes to everyone on their own special sober journeys.

Old 04-21-2024, 12:31 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Well done, Tufty. The next hike will be that much easier. When I was a drinker, people suggested drinking tea of coffee, and the idea appalled me. Now that’s exactly what I drink after a hot walk.

Talking of walks @Robbie64 I saw my friend today who went to Holy Island amongst other places. He walked there but on the causeway! I think he missed the point. Saying that, he had a dog with him and the pilgrim a walk might be a problem for a dog’s smaller feet (force = pressure/area) which might just sink.
Old 04-21-2024, 03:16 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders dogone, congratulations on your first sober weekend. It's the most important one in a way.

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
It's the London Marathon today Sao. Will you be going to any part of the route to watch?
Thanks Robbie, I go with friends most years, we go to Canary Wharf. It is a great atmosphere there although I do have a tip for any aspiring traditional jazz bands, if you're going to play all day, maybe learn a slightly larger repertoire. After the 4th (or 5th?) repitition of When The Saints Go Marching In and Tiger Rag, it palls a bit.
Old 04-21-2024, 04:13 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Congrats on your first sober weekend dogone. Awesome.
Old 04-21-2024, 04:18 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Congrats too, tufty, on one month.

I would not have it any other way now. And I can hardly believe that it’s me uttering those words.

It’s a miracle. 🌟
Old 04-21-2024, 06:03 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

It was a beautiful day and our race had a huge turnout.
Feels amazing to be in the three digits! Thank you all again for supporting me here on SR.
Nice job dogone! Proud of you.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:17 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
It was a beautiful day and our race had a huge turnout.
Feels amazing to be in the three digits! Thank you all again for supporting me here on SR.
Nice job dogone! Proud of you.
Cool thing is Peke it still feels amazing to be in the three digits. It is a feeling I don't want to lose. And it's easy, all I have to do is say no to the first drink. Other days it's hard, I can't even have that first drink.