Notices

What Actually IS ‘Doing the Work’ ?

Old 02-18-2024, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Actually IS ‘Doing the Work’ ?

I’ve never been very good at making ‘a plan’.

I will get so far with ‘the plan’ and then suddenly it all becomes overwhelming and I lose my mojo with it. Even the idea of formulating an actual ‘plan’ makes me feel kind of negative about sobriety (odd isn’t it?)

I tend to do better (at least initially) when I just feel my way through something. That’s not to be confused with not making an effort!

So far in sobriety, my go-to strategy been exercising, trying new classes, eating healthily, going for drives and listening to music. As well as building better relationships with my nearest and dearest.

But I feel like I should be doing more… I suppose, in a more either spiritual or cognitive sense. But I don’t know if I want to.

I find this hard. I don’t really know what people mean when they say they are ‘doing the work’ in sobriety.

I’m quite an annoying brain to deal with, as if I pay too much attention to an aspect of something, it all comes undone. It’s why this time around, I purposely haven’t focused too much on ‘not drinking’ and all the reasons why, etc etc. If I do that, I get frustrated. Because I already think too much as it is and then obviously you can’t perform a negative because that’s impossible.

But is that whole thinking part supposed to actually BE ‘doing the work’??

I hate even thinking about drinking as it leads me to the foyer of the AV, with a microphone for it!

Am I making ANY SENSE at all? 😂

Okay, the condensed version of what I am asking is:

1. What IS ‘doing the work’??
2. Does everyone’s ‘Work’ look different?
3. Can I achieve long term sobriety without making a big, soul-vapourising plan that I will get overwhelmed by, won’t follow properly anyway and will probably get annoyed by?

All thoughts welcome and appreciated!

Xxx
Old 02-18-2024, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

for me 'doing the work' is whatever it takes to stay sober.
That's probably going to look different for everyone.

My emergency break glass/OMG I don't want to drink thing was always SR. I posted here daily,
I tried to be productive in my 'real' life and find meaning, I thought ahead to challenging situations as to how I'd make it through.

I wanted to build a life where I was both sober and happy

D
Old 02-18-2024, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

^ Thanks Dee! Noted. And yes, SR is an absolute God send for me! 😊😊😊 Okay, that sounds much more doable than a big scary written plan… Thank you!
xxx
Old 02-18-2024, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I believe that a plan is important,but not to become obsessed with such.
Clearly you want sobriety but see plans perhaps as somewhat neurotic.
My plan involves ongoing awareness of alcohols horrible down side.
As any benefits are all but negligible this isn't too difficult
.A.A speaks of analysis paralysis where drinkers desperately try to justify their drinking.
This is perhaps the reverse side of the coin. an obsession with justification.
Life will throw all kinds of things at us conducive to drinking.
A simple,plan, not so complex as to annoy, but still adequate seems helpful.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My plan involves ongoing awareness of alcohols horrible down side.” Thanks Bubo!

I can definitely do this! I sort of do this daily without really realising it. Like remembering the anxiety and all the things in our body that alcohol poisons… This sort of work is totally manageable and doesn’t feel like a big ‘planny plan’.

😊😊
Old 02-18-2024, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My plan is mostly unwritten, except perhaps in journals and often here on SR in response to other’s posts. The most important “part” of it for me hasn’t been the big picture stuff so much as having a clear, concise, written strategy for my response to the often-unexpected but frequently overwhelming urge to drink. This so often led to relapse for me I realized I had to get a response cushion of time and distraction I could follow on autopilot.

Everyone is different, so the actual quitting part for me wasn’t that difficult. (My problem was serial relapses) What was hard was when I got emotional setbacks—for example, when I was faced with issues that sparked fear, anger, or insecurity. When I was very tired or hungry. When my family behaved badly (in my view) or kept demanding more when my energy was on empty. When I had to eat S&%# at work instead of telling them to stuff it because I was so close to my 30 years and freedom. Stuff like that. Even joyful things that always had booze in the past would send the cravings through the roof—like holidays.

I have posted here many times how I finally wrote down a list of 10-15 things, and made an unbreakable commitment to do at least 5 of them before picking up. Things like post for help on SR. Make and drink a cup of tea mindfully. Take a hot shower. Do 50 jumping jacks. Call a friend. Play with my dogs and walk them. Go for a hike alone or run around the block. Read a chapter of quit literature. Work on a jigsaw puzzle. Eat ice cream. Put on PJs and go to bed.

You can see I have on this list things that are mental and physical. Some that reach out to others, some that are comforting rituals I do alone. Since acute cravings typically only last 15-30 minutes, I have not had any problems with following through on drinking even after doing just a few things on my list. There is a time-cushion now between the impulse to drink and acting on that impulse and picking up a drink.

This has been a game-changer for me. I just celebrated two years and one month of continuous sobriety Feb. 1. That’s by far the longest run I’ve ever had not drinking, and quite frankly it has become so much easier. Cravings do diminish in frequency and intensity as you grow in recovery. So taking the time to write that out, and to create realistic and thoughtful activities, and to PLAN my response to the inevitable eventual craving is what has made the difference for me.

Before taking the time to create my anti-relapse list,I kept trying to just wing it and have an “organic” relaxed responsethat involved “trusting my gut”, “staying committed”, etc. but those things were too vague with no concrete accountability. Now that I have a “protocol” when cravings hit, my written plan of response has provided a foundation that I am building a solid and manageable recovery upon. I guess that is what “doing the work” has boiled down to for me at least. . .

Old 02-18-2024, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know what you mean kneepads. 'Doing the Work ' doesn't make a lot of sense to me either especially as for me it might mean being kind to myself and having a lie down . It also feels like its implying that if you can't stay sober you've been naughty and not worked hard enough.

I suppose for me it just means doing whatever it is to stay sober. Having a plan is the same. Anyone asking me in early sobriety if I have a plan and I immediately feel guilty and my brain races around thinking 'what am I doing ?'

For me its been a very personal thing and whatever it is I'm doing is tailored for me and probably wouldn't work for anyone else unless they were exactly like me.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, 'doing the work' meant the hard part that started after I stopped drinking. For me, drinking was a symptom of mental health issues that I had ignored for years. I was depressed and I had very low self-esteem. Looking inward at that point, was a daunting task to me because it was a very dark place. I had a lot of feelings that needed to see the light of day. I often turned to books and 'The Seat of the Soul' by Gary Zukav is dog-eared and highlighted from years of use.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KneePads View Post
Okay, the condensed version of what I am asking is:
I've always felt a little annoyed when I hear people say that because the "work" is seldom specified. It's like everyone assumes you know what the work is because they "know" what the work is, even if they aren't even doing it themselves. I suppose the way to look at is just do whatever it means to you. If you're not doing it or not doing it right, you will know soon enough.

As already pointed out, yes.

3. Can I achieve long term sobriety without making a big, soul-vapourising plan that I will get overwhelmed by, won’t follow properly anyway and will probably get annoyed by?
I'm guessing most people have a plan, even if they don't think of it as a plan. Mine was informal and evolved as it was needed. It wasn't complicated at all. If I was coming up against delicate situation, I devised a plan to handle it. A couple of times, I even took it to the group and got input. It just seemed like a common sense way to do it, so it was no big soul-vapourising thing. It was about as complicated as remembering to brush my teeth, but then.. that's just the way I often do things.

I think why the plan is emphasized so much in the forum is that newcomers often come in with a plan like, "I plan not to drink," <well, duh?!> but have no clue how to do this. It sounds like a plan, and maybe for some, that's all they need, although I doubt it serves many all that well. For some, it may be enough. I know a couple of people who claimed to have done it that way. At any rate, in your case, I wouldn't worry too much, because I believe you are problem solver and quick to see that if something doesn't work, you need to figure it out. And then you will be making a plan, even if you are loathe to recognize it as such.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Worried14 View Post
'Doing the Work ' doesn't make a lot of sense to me either...snip... especially as feels like its implying that if you can't stay sober you've been naughty and not worked hard enough.
Thanks, I was going to say that, but then decided to let it go. But KneePads has brought up a couple of recovery's more quirky memes, and it's fun to finally dissect them.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Keep It Simple

A plan can be as simple as never taking that first drink. AA calls it the 24-Hour Plan. Everything you do to support that simple plan is the recovery work. Read, follow suggestions, post here, come up with some of your ideas, I see you have, and try something new interesting healthy is what I feel is recovery work. You get to make the plan and do what you believe will help you stay sober.

Knee here's a plan called: Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is a type of psychotherapy that's based on cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) It's a structured program with a strong educational component that's specifically adapted for people who experience emotions very intensely.

Do you feel emotions intensively? I do. I can become over-emotional I can't see straight. For me, emotional regulation helps me in soberity to find my calm space to think things over without becoming overwhelmed by my moods.

Have a look at the site. Easy to follow instructions to be calm when you need to be. I can not think for the life of me when I have a scattered mood "blowout".

If it feels complicated, that's a good time to step back and breathe.

I am glad you posted when you need some clarification. That there is "recovery work". You are doing the work and need to congratulate yourself for doing it. You are a doer
Old 02-18-2024, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I first got sober, a lot of folks took the concept of “doing the work” in recovery quite literally. I was intimidated by the AAers who insisted I had to “WORK THE STEPS” a certain way, or the Rational Recovery folks who said I had to “MAKE A BIG PLAN” and follow it to the letter.

Neither of these approaches appealed to me because, like you, I was more of an intuitive learner who didn’t do well with step-by-step instructions or rote exercises.

The recovery landscape seems to have evolved since those days, and as the excellent responses on this thread attest, there’s more recognition that “doing the work” simply means taking whatever action is necessary to stay sober, rebuild your life, and rewire your brain so that drinking is no longer an appealing option in any way.

In the early days when sobriety is especially precarious, that can mean forcing yourself onto a track that’s outside your comfort zone to make sure you don’t slide back into old ways of thinking and behavior. That’s why programs like AA and RR became popular in the first place, I think.

But following a particular program isn’t a requirement. I did just fine using SR and other online resources. SR served as my guide star in a journey that was highly individual, like others here. Plenty of success stories on SR prove the viability of that approach.

Like Zencat says above, you are "doing the work!"
Old 02-18-2024, 04:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
under new management

If I were to think of what "doing the work of sobriety" means to me it would be simply living life sober each and everyday, no matter what, come what may.

Early on in my recovery I heard the expression "no matter what" (here on SR) and I gave a lot of thought to what that actually meant to me.

I went through every worst case scenario I could think of. From losing my job (happened), to deaths (happened), to illness (happened in spades), etc, and I committed to never allow any of those life events, no matter how dire, to be a reason to drink.

TL;DR Live life sober, no matter what.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My work to stay sober was just remembering always how awful my last withdrawal was and how I never again wanted to feel so terrible. The memory is still with me, over 14 years later, and still reminds me of how wonderful life is sober. Sobriety makes my life simple and peaceful.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

1. Getting sober requires action (put the bottle DOWN!) and staying sober requires (in my experience) more informed action. As Anna has already mentioned, in order to stay sober, I had to examine and correct that which made me seek escape in the first place. Alcohol and drugs became problems for me, but why??? I could correct many of my problems by STOPPING chemical abuse, but, even without alcohol my underlying, churning, self-obsessed brain was still there.

For me, 'doing the work' requires staying in touch with my Higher Power. I achieve that through prayer, meditation (I suck, but I try), and service. These actions relieve me of (some of) the bondage of self and help me let go of the fear that used to run my freaking life. I have to do the work of REALLY looking at who I am, what I fear, and why. I have to develop faith that I am loved. This work changes me from a person who always kinda wanted to run away, to a person who can stand through storms in confidence of my worth. There is no need for chemical escape when I see myself for who I really am.

2. I don't know. We are all different, but I think we all benefit by connecting to a Higher Power.

3. I think lots of people achieve long-term sobriety without ever doing the kind of work that I have to do - but I have to do it. Or be trapped in my weird head and discontent with a perfectly beautiful life. I'm willing to do what I must in order to be free. To get free, I had to follow someone else's (often annoying and sometimes soul-vaporising) plan. You might not require that particular type of action, but it has been transformative and beautiful for me. My own brain could not quite reason its way out of my mess.

I work the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Thanks for the interesting post. It was helpful to think about today!
Old 02-18-2024, 07:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Living life on life's terms with integrity is the work I have before me.

Old 02-19-2024, 12:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi knee I'm no expert on this I can only throw in my view. I'm currently doing the work. Remember the post you posted when you couldn't go to your class because your legs were in agony but you were massively flapping cos it was a Fri. I'm using this as an example.

So Driguy commented on the fact exercise isn't always the answer. I've exercised all my life and I'm still an alcoholic. I think what he was getting at was finding peace with yourself without having to find something to do every time you feel wobbly. Kind of being happy in your own body. This is very difficult for me to as I can tell I'm quite similar to you.

So for me doing the work means changing thinking patterns. So I'm nearly 6 months the novelty has worn off. I sometimes miss alcohol to numb me through challenging times. I don't ever crave a glass of wine for the tasthe of it I realise now was the affect of wine for me, it shut my over active brain off for a while. So the work for myself is being aware of these situations, which I clearly am, I see now why I drank and I understand why. To learn to deal with life when I would have run to alcohol.

My coping strategies are
I play drinking forward I have never once woken at weekends thinking blimey wish I'd drank last night.
When a situation arises (your Fri night would be one) finding something that is doable if I can't do my exercise class for example. Trying to find a way that your comfortable just chilling on a Fri night.
For me it's being happy with all the benefits of not drinking I've also put a lot of work into being totally positive about stopping. Which has come from reading and watching you tube learning about how addiction works and what alcohol does.
I've always tried to face this with a positive attitude.
I've given up drinking not living approach because if you aren't at peace with sobriety you'll constantly feel your denying yourself, like when you diet you want food more.

It's finding a way to be happy that your a non drinker. For yourself as you said about the Friday evenings then concerned about how you'd get through holidays etc. Im no expert but I have faced nights out, nights away have holidays booked and the longer ive been sober the more im looking forward to them because i'm becoming comfortable as a sober me. I'm looking forward to all the stuff I've drank through and missed previously.

So after all that waffling I guess doing the work comes down to finding what works for you to help you deal with a permanent life sober. I will add I don't think of alcohol at all at wkend and the longer I've been sober it's become my happy norm without having to be distracted by doing stuff to pass time.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I have posted here many times how I finally wrote down a list of 10-15 things, and made an unbreakable commitment to do at least 5 of them before picking up. Things like post for help on SR. Make and drink a cup of tea mindfully. Take a hot shower. Do 50 jumping jacks. Call a friend. Play with my dogs and walk them. Go for a hike alone or run around the block. Read a chapter of quit literature. Work on a jigsaw puzzle. Eat ice cream. Put on PJs and go to bed.

I just celebrated two years and one month of continuous sobriety Feb.. .
Firstly, well done on 2yrs of sobriety! 🥳😊

I like your list and the idea of doing at least 5 of them before picking up a drink (and then not picking up a drink!) …this seems pretty do-able and not epic in any way. Thanks for the suggestions xxx
Old 02-19-2024, 12:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Worried14 View Post
I know what you mean kneepads. 'Doing the Work ' doesn't make a lot of sense to me either especially as for me it might mean being kind to myself and having a lie down . It also feels like its implying that if you can't stay sober you've been naughty and not worked hard enough.

I suppose for me it just means doing whatever it is to stay sober. Having a plan is the same. Anyone asking me in early sobriety if I have a plan and I immediately feel guilty and my brain races around thinking 'what am I doing ?'

For me its been a very personal thing and whatever it is I'm doing is tailored for me and probably wouldn't work for anyone else unless they were exactly like me.
I relate to this SO MUCH! I think you’re right about the guilt thing… That’s probably what subconsciously prompted my post. I think ‘doing the work’ sounds so gritty that I feel guilty if I’m not doing it and other people are. But I guess it’s different to everyone, as you guys have pointed out.
xxx
Old 02-19-2024, 01:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Being a decent person and staying sober. Recovery is basically about learning and practicing being a decent human being (certainly AA is). That’s not to say I wasn’t a decent human being before I got into recovery from alcoholism, however, there was and always will be room for improvement. This is the greatest part of recovery for me as it has a wonderful ripple affect for everybody else I come into contact with 🙏