View Single Post
Old 02-18-2024, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by KneePads View Post
Okay, the condensed version of what I am asking is:
1. What IS ‘doing the work’??
I've always felt a little annoyed when I hear people say that because the "work" is seldom specified. It's like everyone assumes you know what the work is because they "know" what the work is, even if they aren't even doing it themselves. I suppose the way to look at is just do whatever it means to you. If you're not doing it or not doing it right, you will know soon enough.

2. Does everyone’s ‘Work’ look different?
As already pointed out, yes.

3. Can I achieve long term sobriety without making a big, soul-vapourising plan that I will get overwhelmed by, won’t follow properly anyway and will probably get annoyed by?
I'm guessing most people have a plan, even if they don't think of it as a plan. Mine was informal and evolved as it was needed. It wasn't complicated at all. If I was coming up against delicate situation, I devised a plan to handle it. A couple of times, I even took it to the group and got input. It just seemed like a common sense way to do it, so it was no big soul-vapourising thing. It was about as complicated as remembering to brush my teeth, but then.. that's just the way I often do things.

I think why the plan is emphasized so much in the forum is that newcomers often come in with a plan like, "I plan not to drink," <well, duh?!> but have no clue how to do this. It sounds like a plan, and maybe for some, that's all they need, although I doubt it serves many all that well. For some, it may be enough. I know a couple of people who claimed to have done it that way. At any rate, in your case, I wouldn't worry too much, because I believe you are problem solver and quick to see that if something doesn't work, you need to figure it out. And then you will be making a plan, even if you are loathe to recognize it as such.