Notices

Weekenders , Sober Valentine - 09 - 15 February 2024

Old 02-09-2024, 09:26 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

(((DeplorableDog)))

I'm glad you were there with him, giving him loving ear rubs.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:26 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing DD
Very very sorry for your loss
Old 02-09-2024, 09:27 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
DD- I am so sorry about Hercules' condition.
Yes, it's a very hard decision to make. I've had to do it with my beloved Great Dane too. It sucks big time.
Nothing anyone says makes it feel better - I know.
I am thinking of you and your beautiful dog.
Be strong. We can do hard things.
I have always wanted a Great Dane but have been warned they are one of the most expensive breeds to care for and life expectancy is 7-8 years. I always stop and admire the ones I see though. When I was dating my wife their neighbors had one that was young. I fell in love with him and used to go out back at their house just to reach over the fence and pet him.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:16 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about this DD.

I've not owned too many dogs. I'd say Rottweilers and, yes, Dobermans would be my favorite breeds - never had either just the average mutt.

I have an elderly cat, and I am surprised by how well she gets around. And if that cat could talk or write, she's seen everything in the past 15 years the old and bad lol.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:26 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Magsie

It’s not too soon if it feels right for you DeplorableDog. You’ve been amazing with Hercules, right up to the end. R.I.P. Hercules.

Saou, it does have a bond-like sound to it yeah.

Marty, you’re well organised for your trip. Sounds exciting. You’ll both love Ireland, I’m sure!

Runner congratulations on 494 days.

Old 02-09-2024, 10:40 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

DD, I just feel so badly for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Hercules. s I know this must be a horrible time for you, but you'll do what you have to do and what is best for Hercules and feel good about doing the right thing. It is so painful and I hope you both are not suffering too badly. All my love. Take good care and grateful were sober, for our animals if nothing eise.
I had a Doberman who was my soul mate and he told me when he was ready to go. It took me 10 years to get another dog. I did have my horses though, so at least I had something. It's a very hard thing to do and I send you courage and love.
Have a wonderful, sober day everyone. So grateful for this thread to remind me sobriety is something we always have to be vigilant of.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:35 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

DD, no it's not too soon to get another dog. It's no disrespect to Hercules, but rather, an homage to him and the good life you gave him that you are now giving that same good life to another lonely dog. Get another dog whenever you want to. The dog you adopt will be happy to have a loving family and a place to call home.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:54 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about the loss of Hercules DD. A beautiful dog, indeed.

You did the right thing. ❤️
Old 02-09-2024, 02:25 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss, too, DD, and I don't think it is too soon to get another if you guys are ready.

Happy Friday night, all! Going to Japanese hibachi and excited. It's been a long time. Looking forward to the Super Bowl this weekend. On the sober bus!!
Old 02-09-2024, 02:56 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

More hugs to you and your family DD….Hercules had a great life thanks to you! He knows another dog won’t replace him, whenever you choose to do so.

Old 02-09-2024, 04:15 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I’m sorry DD.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:06 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

So sorry, DD. I had to say goodbye to my 12 yo Pittie, Buddy, Aug 1st. He had had cancer for a couple of years, but it turned out that it spread to his liver and spleen and he was deteriorating rapidly. It was so hard, but there was no question that he was dying before us. This was the dog my 16 year old grew up with. She was four and he was 11 weeks when we brought him home. It was by far the hardest goodbye I’ve ever had with a pet. I don’t know when I’ll be ready for another dog, but we did bring in a new kitten two months after Buddy died. It helped with feeling like I was forgetting something all day every day without my routine with Bud.

You will know when the right time for another dog will be. For some it is soon after loss, for others it takes a long time. There is no right or wrong.

Rotties are such awesome dogs ❤️
Old 02-09-2024, 06:58 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi DD
How are you holding up. Been thinking about you a lot. ((())))
Yes, we had 3 Danes. They weren't that expensive to care for actually. But yes, their life expectancy isn't long.
I always said I'll never get another one - because of that heartbreak - but they still are my all-time favourite breed.
When our last one passed, I was so so so heartbroken. At the time we had a Basset, who was the Dane's shadow. The poor dog grieved even more than I did.
So, 2 weeks after that the children found a "lemon" basset litter and surprised me and the Basset with the pup. I was upset at first, felt I was betraying my beloved Dane, but must say it helped both me and the other Basset get over our grief.
You will know what is right for you to do.
Be strong and know we're all thinking of you.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:18 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I’m so sorry DD. We lost our previous dog to lymphoma. She was barely 3 years old. I think I know how you must have felt spending that evening with him. It’s truly heartbreaking, but you made the right decision. Getting another dog or even thinking about it felt like betrayal at the start, but I’m sure glad we did.
Old 02-09-2024, 11:05 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

A foggy start to the morning here, I was surprised to see.

Have a good sober Saturday. Shout out if you’re having a problem. We help each other along the sober road.

Love to all xxxx

Old 02-09-2024, 11:20 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry for your loss D-Dawg. They leave a void.

Welcome to Weekenders clearlyheaded. Sisu - that's a Skandinavian thing isn't it?

Old 02-10-2024, 12:38 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thinking of you DD

I've got a busy weekend ahead. My mother had a hip replacement operation on Thursday. She's doing fine although is very sore at the moment. She'll be coming on home on Monday if all goes well. I'm going up to her house later this morning to get it ready for when she comes out of hospital. The occupational therapist came out to her house yesterday and made notes about what sort of aids she will need and some of them are getting delivered today. I'll then be going through to visit my mother in hospital. Back home to watch the football (soccer) later this afternoon.

It's another murky day outside. It never stopped raining at all yesterday and I got soaked more than once. A sunny day would be welcome.

Take care everyone.
Old 02-10-2024, 03:37 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 495.
Old 02-10-2024, 06:37 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Magsie

Robbie, pleased your mum’s hip op went well. Good you was able to get some aids for the home for her. All the best in her recovery. Hope the pain soon passes.

Runner congratulations on 495

Old 02-10-2024, 06:54 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Out of respect for DD I posted this elsewhere last night. But it helped to get me through last evening.
Did a great core workout and will cycle with the guys this morning.

Last night’s post:

Friday evenings are difficult for me, especially when my husband works the overnight 12+ hour shift.

Here is a list of things that I’m grateful for and things to be excited about. No particular order.

1. My sight. I can see the blue sky. I can see my cute dogs.
2. My health.
3. My dear husband.
4. My dogs.
5. My friends.
6. The new YouTube channel that I found: “Cozey Times”. As silly as it sounds, it’s helping me to sleep. Snowy noises and cracking fires.
7. The group ride that I will do tomorrow.
8. My friend who is coming over for lunch tomorrow.
9. The hot bath that I will take tonight.
10. The run that I will do in the next hour.
11. The cool new music that I uploaded onto my playlist.
12. The fact that I have food to eat.
13. Not to be in physical pain.
14. To know that I will sleep in a warm bed tonight.
15. To be able to smile and to laugh.
16. To know that I kissed a few frogs. But that I married my Prince.
17. For the new(ish) milk frother that I bought on Amazon. I love it!! I use in to froth milk for London Fogs and for coffee.
18. Chips and salsa.
19. Being able to take care of my friend’s dog while they’re in Hawaii.
20. To be sober for this amount of time.
21. To be able to walk and talk.

I could go on. But this will get me through tonight.
Thanks.