Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

“Is it worth sweating the small stuff” - Weekenders 19-22 May 2023

Notices

“Is it worth sweating the small stuff” - Weekenders 19-22 May 2023

Old 05-20-2023, 03:07 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Forwards, I hope the promotion thing works out.

" Only possible in sobriety" - indeed!
Old 05-20-2023, 04:39 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Have to try to get caught back up, although heading back in for more surgery Tues, Walking very slow and only household distances at the moment. Grateful for the very small things in life because it was getting quite bad in the hospital with poor care...All I had was the simple things.
Old 05-20-2023, 10:32 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Just finished watching The Way Back with Ben Affleck. About alcohol dependency, recovery, life difficulties, and sports. Probably more of a guy movie. Hits pretty close to home.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:00 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I watched it a few years ago, and I also liked it.
Old 05-20-2023, 12:46 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I will have to see if I can find it.
Old 05-20-2023, 01:39 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

It's free on Prime, if you are a member. s
Old 05-20-2023, 03:19 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

It is a good way of feeling grateful- by thinking of the things I used to take for granted.
I had this thought 'many of my former friends have successful lives with careers, homes etc, and what have I got?'
Answer...I burned badly, lived and stopped drinking.
Old 05-20-2023, 03:33 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

PJ, if I've learned anything since becoming sober guy, it is that everyone has issues they would like to overcome, perhaps especially those who seem 'successful' on the outside. But that's not really the point. Gratitude I think may be the most pure form of success.

Ben Affleck's character in that movie drank beer in the shower, which I used to do.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:10 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
PJ, if I've learned anything since becoming sober guy, it is that everyone has issues they would like to overcome, perhaps especially those who seem 'successful' on the outside.
Never know what turbulent waters lay below the calm surface.

That's right City. I follow true crimes in society as an interest of mine. That family that has it all, the house. the sport cars, fancy vacations, and more. Well I can tell you the 'issues to overcome' for said family can be very deadly. Its like SUNRISE they seemed so nice and had it all. Why did he do it? Why are they all dead? Nice family now?

Comparisons are odious, best avoided for better mental health.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:26 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

End of Day 552 - Ran a 7k in 45 best ever run. Had a good dinner and watched Shutter Island on Prime. Too convoluted/complex for me. Lost interest after about 45 minutes and said good bye to that.

Congrats to all milestones today. Good night from Seattle.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:41 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 233 (33 weeks).
Old 05-21-2023, 03:09 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Congratulations on 552 days calmself.

Runner congratulations on 33 weeks! They’re mounting up.

A bit late but congratulations Alpine. 1 year is brilliant!

It’s a gorgeous sunny morning here at minute. Us English are always pleased when it’s sunny and we have conversations about how nice it is. I remember the first time I went to a hot country on holiday and said to someone “what a lovely day”. I got a quizzical look back at me.
I guess it’s always lovely days in some places.

Have a good sober Sunday xxxx

Old 05-21-2023, 04:06 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Have a good Sunday Weekenders! ☼
Old 05-21-2023, 04:43 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Glad to hear that your up and about Alpine. I was a little worried about you.

Going from some pretty extreme cold and snowy days to very hot and sunny, sometimes within the same week, teaches me to appreciate the good days. Very similar to life I suppose with it's ups and downs. These days, "Post Dad", I find myself saying, "Be grateful you can still do that!" whether its weeding the garden, pushing a shopping cart, getting a snack or hugging someone.

Speaking of hugging, Dad came into my dreams last night and I was able to give him a hug and tell him I missed him.

Have a great Sunday.
Old 05-21-2023, 05:05 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

What a great dream STDragon
I walked a few laps in the apartment yesterday. It is tough on the leg due to pain and the location of the wound vac sponge. Hope after surgery I will be more mobile and it wont take long to heal.
Old 05-21-2023, 05:06 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Mr

Just wanted to say Hi to the weekenders...
I like the OP Mags. I will try to consider it and incororate it more. I hope everyone is mozying along through time soberly. Im doing pretty well at being a normal half decent human being. I know lots dont like saying recovering alcoholic and i still dont know if that is a way to describe myself but all i know is that for the better part of 30 years i had no off switch when it came to drinking and drugging. I celebrated 25 years with Mrs Vman on the 8th may and mini Vman is now 10.... time flies.
bisous
Vinny
Old 05-21-2023, 06:09 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders. Still really miss the thanks button. for all your posts.

Purps that is so cool you went to Sunken Gardens. I used to live a few blocks from there. Needless to say I have been there a few times. My family settled in St. Pete after my dad retired from the Navy. My brother and sister are still there.

Congrats on all the milestones.

My tennis team is in the city championships tomorrow night. Hoping we get a W so we can go to States.

Feels great to be sober on a Sunday morning. No hangxiety!
Old 05-21-2023, 06:35 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Vinny.

Dragon, lovely dream about your dad and hugging each other.

Alpine, gently gently.

Bought some bedding plants a lady was selling in her yard. Found spaces for them in our borders.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:51 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good Afternoon Weekenders!

As Mags has posted, it's a gloriously sunny day today. I went for a long walk this morning. Quite a nostalgic one too as I went for a walk in an area of my town I haven't been to for many years. It's on the edge of town and it used to be farm land. In the 1970s I used to go blackberry picking there every year during the school holidays. The fields have all now been sold off and there's been a lot of building work going on as factories have sprung up. There used to be a stile there, on the edge of the famer's field. I've got a picture of myself standing on it, aged 5 or 6! Sadly, that too has also gone, removed ahead of factories being built around where it stood. It was there the last time I walked around the area (admittedly that was about 20 years ago). It's called progress I suppose...

Hello Vinnie, good to see you again :wave; Congratulations on your recent silver wedding anniversary!

CBS, I hope your tennis team wins tomorrow 🎾

Alpine, I hope you feel much better soon

Take care everyone!
Old 05-21-2023, 07:30 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I live 4 miles from the pacific ocean with the seasonal overcast at the moment. Cool temps in the mid to upper sixties, maybe the clouds break a bit around noon. Right now inland the temps are in eighty's, desserts nineties with all day sun. The current weather reminds of some gloomy detective movie shrouded in mystery. Like Philip Marlowe looking for the sun but thwarted at every turn. It's all a lesson on acceptance on the things I cannot change. Also having an attitude I can change as to see the sun when others can't.

Self-Care and Wellness Retreat (Purplrks3647)