Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

“Is it worth sweating the small stuff” - Weekenders 19-22 May 2023

Notices

“Is it worth sweating the small stuff” - Weekenders 19-22 May 2023

Old 05-18-2023, 12:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

"You gotta look for the good in the bad, the happy in the sad, the gain in your pain, and what makes you grateful not hateful."
--- Karen Salmansohn

Sober I have a better perspective on stuff. I can put the 'things' in a context that helps me see the big picture. Drunk me is stuck in a prison of perspective that is deceptive. Bending reality to suit my needs wile discount the needs of those around me. Don't let the small stuff become a trap that closes your mind off from others.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Richard Carlson's Don't Sweat The Small Stuff is one of the best books I have ever read, just saying—it changed my life. ❤️
Old 05-18-2023, 12:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

In for a sober weekend and thanks Mags and hello everyone.
Captain those are brill pictures, looks amazing!
I too am definitely guilty of sweating the small stuff, its always been a problem of mine and I still do a little but nowhere near as much as I used too that is one of the many gifts of sobriety amongst many others.
I do think I'd like to read that book Venus, just got to wait for credit day.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags and friends….count me in for another please!

Old 05-18-2023, 01:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

'Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all small stuff.' was always my mother's favorite saying. Those words have been circling around me for decades, but I never really got them. Most things are small, true, but some things are big. Taking care of a parent with dementia, being diagnosed with a major illness, overcoming addiction - those things are big and are deserve a little sweating over, right?

It's only when my mother passed almost a year ago that I finally got it. Life is full of ups and downs, triumphs and failures, loves and losses. But in the grand scheme of things, nothing lasts forever and everything that is going on in my life right now is but a temporary stage setting for the drama that is my life. Life is in perpetual flux with events and circumstances constantly ebbing and flowing, morphing and changing. Why do I let myself get worked up over things that are only transitory and ephemeral in nature?

I now add a line to her favorite saying. 'Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all small stuff. And absolutely nothing is worth drinking over.'

In for a sober weekend.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Finally got to sleep this morning around 6 and woke up just now at 3. Feeling a bit better.

The new slippers I ordered came today and they fit right. . So I can throw out the ones with holes and donate the almost new slippers that are too big.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend!!
Old 05-18-2023, 05:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

In for a Sober Weekend.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

CBS congratulations on 29 months sober

Marty, I can relate to your post. I’m a born worrier. I thought drink took it away but all it did was delay and build it up in my head.

Saou, I think having a plan for the day helps, especially when first sober. I remember when I first stopped I was doing the same as I was when I drank, but without the drink. It took a few months for me to get a plan of action and start on the recovery road.

CaptainHaddock, lovely photos. The houses are brightly painted in all different colours. Is there a story behind it? I was in Positano, Italy once and told that all the house were brightly painted were so the men who worked out at sea could see their homes. Never did know if it was the reason for it, but a nice thought..

My little tree (more like a twig) out front is getting some green on even the Robin and sparrow visit it daily. I like to think it’s flourishing because the big trees on the green are looking after it. Might sound daft but it makes me happy.

Have a good sober day. Lots of love xxxxx
Old 05-18-2023, 10:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Morning Mags, yes, those were initially rental houses. Apparently a term of the lease agreements was that tennants had to keep them in their original white colour. Slaves could not legally own property, so as they were emancipated and could buy property, the houses came to be painted in these bright colours as a proud signal of ownership.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Magsie

That’s nice CaptainHaddock.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 229. Up early as couldn’t sleep. Best to all on your journey.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Magsie

Have a good day Runner. Congratulations on 229 days!
Old 05-19-2023, 01:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mags, it's not daft at all to talk to green living beings. . Plants can and do react to our interactions with them. I've read some interesting articles about plants being hooked up to a polygraph machine and noting their reactions to different stimulus.

I went to bed kind of early but could not fall asleep so got up for a while. Watched some YouTube videos, love the quizzes they have. . I like to see what knowledge I've retained since I was in school.

Billie is lying on the sofa, watching me. I took her out on the p.p. a while ago and she peed right away, . When I stop what I'm doing and look at her, she almost always looks back at me. . I've discovered something else she does/reacts to. If I call her to come to where I am, and she doesn't come right away, I say, "Oh now I'm going to cry. boo hoo hoo" and nine times out of ten she'll come right in and jump up to lick my face and see if I'm alright. I look over at her and the sight of her, sleeping so comfortably on the sofa, fills my heart with love. I'll go over there, sit down beside her, and sweet talk her. . She immediately rolls over so I can rub her tummy. . I estimate that my beagle Riley (that we used to have) rec'd over 24,000 tummy rubs in the 13 yrs we had her. . Amazing to think she still had hair on her stomach, for all that it was petted so much.

The itching seems to be subsiding so maybe I'll try again to get to sleep.

Old 05-19-2023, 03:02 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

In for another sober weekend!

Have a good day all ☼
Old 05-19-2023, 03:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Sami may or may not be going home today, with the confusion caused by the potential westjet strike, we are not sure if her mom will be back today.

As for who's the boss. I think we came to a mutual agreement. She will eat anything that falls on the floor (whether it's food or not) but will not stick her nose in the garbage. She will sit for a treat, but will not stay. (Her tail will not allow that). She will go potty in the back yard, but must be accompanied at all times. She will not beg for food at the table, but if the chair is not pushed in, everything on the table will be hers. She will tolerate a bath, but don't use a towel. (blow dry only). At bed time, all doors must be left open and she will choose who to sleep with, sometimes changing beds in middle of the night.

Her mom warned us of all the bad behaviors to expect, but she was really an excellent guest. I suspect her mom is a bit of a push over.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:39 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never did get back to sleep. . I'll get coffee-ed up and make my five phone calls re appts.

I hope I can see the neurologist soon. My carpal tunnel is getting a lot worse, and in addition to very weak and clumsy fingers, the pinky side of both hands is numb and painful.

Billie didn't mind sleeping in our bed by herself. I must have tried three times to get to sleep but never happened. I'm not going to nap today. I want to be tired tonight and able to fall asleep.

My cute little (useful) porch potty that Billie uses is pretty neat. I take up the astroturf mat once a week and rinse it twice in plain hot water, hang it on my porch gate to dry. I've discovered however, that the fact that she pees and poops out there means we have swarms of those little flies. I read that lots of house plants are a deterrent to flies and other bugs; lemongrass, mint, catnip, lavender, rosemary. I asked my daughter to please take me to Walmart or some other big store that has a garden section, and look for a few of those plants to leave on the porch. It gets good sun in the afternoon so they'd get plenty of light. I want to try it and I'll let you know what I get and if it works.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:31 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Stunning photos CaptainHaddock, Cape Town makes most "Top Five" lists of world's most beautiful cities.

Trees definitely have communication networks Mags, there is even a scientific word for it - mycorrhizal networks (I didn't know that word btw, I just looked it up)

I passed by the London Eye today, they were advertising a capsule done out to replicate the coronation
Old 05-19-2023, 12:06 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Magsie

Dragon, sounds like Sami had a good time at your home.

Least, it’ll be nice to have some plants on your porch and if they serve as a deterrent for insects it’s even better.

Saou, interesting about the communication network for trees! And a strange thing. Mushrooms starting growing on our front lawn near the tree. Is this a coincidence or is my little tree being helped along by the big trees as I thought.

“Mushrooms are the fruit of the mycorrhizal network fungus, and connect trees through tiny threads called mycelium”.
Old 05-19-2023, 12:07 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I need to ask a question of you fine sober folks. . I have a nice small porch potty that has a drain hole under the astroturf pad on the base. But the drain hole is plugged and there's a small C bend piece of tubing to connect the drain hose with the base. I have nothing rigid but flexible to put in to clean it out. I have no idea what to pour in the small hole to flush out the clogged drain.

I've tried Dawn dish soap and hot water but that didn't help. I'm stumped...