Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

We got Sober…Where do we go from this point on? Weekenders 15 - 18 July 2022

Notices

We got Sober…Where do we go from this point on? Weekenders 15 - 18 July 2022

Old 07-15-2022, 10:28 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Happy Friday everyone! I'm retired and forget what day it is.

Thanks Mags for the opener. Where do you get the time to come up with this stuff? It's always creative and inspiring.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:31 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by RunningScared View Post
Happy Friday everyone! I'm retired and forget what day it is.

Thanks Mags for the opener. Where do you get the time to come up with this stuff? It's always creative and inspiring.
Thanks RunningScared. I’m retired from work so have a bit more time than before. Though now I look back and wonder how I had time to work.
Over the years I’ve saved some of the paragraphs and posts I’ve read on SR. They’re part of my sober ‘toolbox’. Mostly my opening posts are what I’ve learnt from other members on this site.

Fishkiller glad you stayed. Good work on the 2.5 years and good post.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:59 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone.

Leshar I am so sorry to read about your depression. It is such a debilitating thing which feels like it will never end. It will though
Old 07-15-2022, 01:02 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post

What to do now I’m over the physical aspect of addiction to alcohol?

A few things:

1. NEVER drink NOW
2. REMEMBER ALWAYS that abstinence is NOT control.
3. Be the best person I can today, everyday to myself and others.
4. Forgive myself, really.
5. Forgive others, really. Don’t confuse that with being a doormat.
6. Boundaries. Identify them, refine them, and (the hardest part when beginning this) is KEEP them.

Oh yes, many other things too. Laugh, cry, be mad, be sad. Experience mean and kind behaviors from others. Try to be kind to others. Practice self awareness.

Walk
Read
Write
Listen to music
Create music
Watch a movie
Google liver disease
Observe others drinking alcohol and how it affects them
Clean (the fridge, a junk drawer, the home, my teeth, give myself a facial, paint my nail).
Organize ANYTHING
Learn something new
Watch a movie, documentary etc.

And last, but not ‘least’ 😍🤓, practice

GRATITUDE

on the daily.

Thanks Mags
Weekend is getting close here and I have appreciated reading the inspirational ideas! The list from Freetobe reminded me of a podcast I listened to on the way home from work this week. This podcast was about how so many of us do a lot a great research and planning for quitting problem drinking, but not putting in the same planning for the hardest moments, or "game time" (I'm assuming cravings or whatever), when we really don't want to show up. So the question was, how to plan for the hard thing that you don't want to do (well you do ultimately, but in the moment you don't). I thought about Freetobe's list and thought that if I had my favorite three of those in my back pocket tonight (Friday night, start of weekend for me), I could "show up." I especially liked "organize ANYTHING," since many things went unorganized during drinking. Not uncommon, I'm sure.

My thoughts are with those who are struggling at the beginning of this weekend. I saw that you have also acknowledged that drinking won't solve it. You are taking that "road less traveled" and I really admire that.

My biggest challenge is making new weekend routines. Mr. Happy still drinks (though not with the same voracity that I did), so I'm hoping that he will decide to do what he was considering, which was to have a dry rest of July. Even if he doesn't, it's on me to create new weekend routines and practices. I'm so grateful to have so many ideas from you all, who have been where I am and truly understand. Happy weekend all.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:22 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Happy, for me it was about creating new routines for me, irrespective of what anyone else was doing.

For example, if you cook dinner, perhaps you can do it at a different time of day, or on the weekends and freeze stuffsomething to help change up that 6pm cooking with wine experience, to which so many of us can relate.

Every new habit we create is a positive step forward to being who we want to be. ❤️
Old 07-15-2022, 01:35 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

"it was about creating new routines for me"

This was huge for me, especially in those first few weeks and months. Instead of stopping at the beer store on the way home from work, I would stop for some tea. On my first out of town job after quitting, instead of getting wasted in the hotel room, which had been the standard practice for decades, I found a local AA meeting.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:37 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Happy, for me it was about creating new routines for me, irrespective of what anyone else was doing.

For example, if you cook dinner, perhaps you can do it at a different time of day, or on the weekends and freeze stuffsomething to help change up that 6pm cooking with wine experience, to which so many of us can relate.

Every new habit we create is a positive step forward to being who we want to be. ❤️
Beautifully said! Love the idea of every new habit. Really makes the weekend something to look forward to. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:04 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I hope everyone is doing well.

This Covid nightmare has left me up in a heap. I can't sleep properly at night and keep nodding off in small bursts when I get in in the late afternoon. Appetite is still not good so I'm off to the chemist in a while to get some more of those GP prescribed drinks which I should have collected on Wednesday. I felt like rubbish yesterday that I actually feel like I have long Covid. I was reading about the symptoms and a lot of how I feel does point to that. Hoping to go to town tomorrow if I can as I haven't been in a bookshop for ages. It's a nice day weather wise. Have a nice weekend everyone!
Tetra - I am right there with you. I’ve had it about a week now. Don’t sleep much at night, take long naps during the day. Think I’m getting better and then wham…,down again.

I hope you get some relief.

LHW
Old 07-15-2022, 02:45 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Actually I'm supposed to meet my brother tomorrow since the first time since Christmas. I was diagnosed with Covid about a month ago and in isolation for a week or so. I took another antigen test a couple of hours ago which was negative. So why do I still feel terrible? Pity there is no test for long Covid. I'm tired all the time with no desire to eat. Anyway ill stop whining. I'm still here with out hospital, ICU ventilator etc. I have to start eating though.

Thank you all for listening to me x
Old 07-15-2022, 02:51 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hang in there LHW and Tetra! I hope you get some relief soon. It's a strange virus, and seems to take a long time for many people. I'm amazed how the covid numbers have jumped up here where I am, and keep trying to stay away from it but you never know I guess.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:55 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words, ‘happy’❤️🤓

sometimes I have hard times still. Like when we arrived on this cruise ship, my first cruise, and the steward brought in two glasses of champagne

Ugh, for a moment, I thought ‘yeah, that’s be GREAT!’

But I shooed that thought away. SO FAST it had NO time to sit and percolate a visceral NEED. I breathed. I watched the bubbles rise. Mr Free drank his. I said might as well drink mine too. Uh no, he says. I’m good.

THATS my reminder. I would have drank both of them, then gone and sneaked some more, panicking that I couldn’t get enough,

i went to a friends years ago, drove my twins there too, then drank. I didn’t feel too buzzed, but took a breathalyzer JUST before I drove home. 0.18. 😨🫣

OMG. OMG. I have MAJOR problem with addiction.

So, back to 6 days ago on the first day of my first cruise.

After hubby said he was fine and I stared at the glass for the 15 minutes it took for him to drink his, I dumped it down the sink. We walked around the ship and distracted my brain.

Disaster averted NOT by chance, but by choice.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:57 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words, ‘happy’❤️🤓

sometimes I have hard times still. Like when we arrived on this cruise ship, my first cruise, and the steward brought in two glasses of champagne

Ugh, for a moment, I thought ‘yeah, that’s be GREAT!’

But I shooed that thought away. SO FAST it had NO time to sit and percolate a visceral NEED. I breathed. I watched the bubbles rise. Mr Free drank his. I said might as well drink mine too. Uh no, he says. I’m good.

THATS my reminder. I would have drank both of them, then gone and sneaked some more, panicking that I couldn’t get enough,

i went to a friends years ago, drove my twins there too, then drank. I didn’t feel too buzzed, but took a breathalyzer JUST before I drove home. 0.18. 😨🫣

OMG. OMG. I have MAJOR problem with addiction.

So, back to 6 days ago on the first day of my first cruise.

After hubby said he was fine and I stared at the glass for the 15 minutes it took for him to drink his, I dumped it down the sink. We walked around the ship and distracted my brain.

Disaster averted NOT by chance, but by choice.
Old 07-15-2022, 03:13 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I love you fish.

And I am so very glad you accidentally stumbled upon SR on that day 2.5 years ago. s xx
I hope you know the feeling is mutual. Though we have never met and never will, the difference you have made and continue to make in my life is priceless.
The only thing I have close to any comparable value to repay you is my continued sobriety.

Old 07-15-2022, 03:18 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

So nicely said fish. Venus AND you are WONDERFUL members here ❤️🤓❤️🤓❤️🤓
Old 07-15-2022, 03:20 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Changing habits and routines definitely a must in early sobriety.
Some I kept, others have faded but the main thing is the old one never came back.

kaily I'm sorry you have to see that pup being neglected. Please don't let it get you too down. We see it ll the time here and it never gets easier.

Free, it most definitely is a Choice. Just make the right one every time and we will be OK.
Old 07-15-2022, 03:36 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
I hope you know the feeling is mutual. Though we have never met and never will, the difference you have made and continue to make in my life is priceless.
The only thing I have close to any comparable value to repay you is my continued sobriety.
We can meet. I would love that. We could go fishing. I think we can work that out one day. I have faith. ❤️
Old 07-15-2022, 03:52 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
Actually I'm supposed to meet my brother tomorrow since the first time since Christmas. I was diagnosed with Covid about a month ago and in isolation for a week or so. I took another antigen test a couple of hours ago which was negative. So why do I still feel terrible? Pity there is no test for long Covid. I'm tired all the time with no desire to eat. Anyway ill stop whining. I'm still here with out hospital, ICU ventilator etc. I have to start eating though.

Thank you all for listening to me x
I agree love....you need to start eating. Your body might start to want food once you eat regularly again. And it might help you with the fatigue. s xx
Old 07-15-2022, 04:12 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

We can meet. I would love that. We could go fishing. I think we can work that out one day. I have faith. ❤️
A group getaway! A bunch of us have been talking about doing that for a while now….look at me totally inviting myself
Old 07-15-2022, 04:17 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Prayers to all struggling with depression . I am. GP mentioned putting me in hospital aways back with med changes. Gonna take months to feel anything like normal. Depression is like feeling disconnected to all, to the world. I know it'll pass, but hard yards need doing. Walking bignose for lots of hours helps.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:22 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I am with you all the way Purps. ❤️

PJ ~ I recovered from depression, but I will never forget. So many of us know how you feel. You are not alone. ❤️❤️