Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

We got Sober…Where do we go from this point on? Weekenders 15 - 18 July 2022

Notices

We got Sober…Where do we go from this point on? Weekenders 15 - 18 July 2022

Old 07-15-2022, 12:11 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 243 , they’re certainly mounting up. Sleep well.

Kaily, I’m pleased you could see a therapist. Give it time, it may get clearer and more fulfilling as the sessions move on. Sorry it’s triggering. Take plenty of sober tools and your sober muscles with you. . I felt like I’d been through the wringer when I went. Though I did get more understanding of the me I’d hidden from myself.
I hope your neighbors look after their dog as you have.

I’ve found some supermarket bird food ‘dusty’.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:13 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Kaily, I hope the therapy sessions get better. I've had poor luck with the cheap grocery store bird seed also.

Sao, it took me a second also. Nice.

Patcha, hang close and let up help you through.

The British Open is on this morning. They were just showing TW tee off.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:10 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

HI all! Trying to catch up with what's going on and Mags, I loved your post. I could not have said it better. SR has been such a positive influence for me and I only hope I can pay it forward.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:45 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you back Alpine. Hope your trip went well.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:05 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags for the new Opener. I am guilty of playing the blame game. I need to be held accountable. And as someone else said live in the moment and not worry about the past or future. I am a chronic worrier.

Anyway, I am in for another sober weekend. Will hit month 19 on Sunday.
Old 07-15-2022, 07:16 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi CBS congratulations on 19th month
Old 07-15-2022, 08:01 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hello everyone

I always read the weekenders but my attention span is so short I don't post much because I feel bad if I miss responding to anyone.
I know.

Anyway 2.5 years ago today I was drinking. Day drinking alone. I was miserable. Had been for quit some time.
I found SR mentioned on another forum totally unrelated to sobriety or anything close to it. Someone posted asking for help quitting in a general discussion area of the forum and a poster sent a link to SR.
I was a member of the forum but had found the post during a Google search for quitting drinking. It was an older post so I never saw it while on the forum.
I joined. I posted. I got support pretty quickly. I stayed here all day.
Still drinking. Once I start I cannot, well at least will not, stop until I pass out.
I read countless posts and spent who knows how many hours here reading and responding to folks supporting my thread.

This place just felt right to me.

I was not wrong.
That was and will be the last day of my life alcohol ever touched my lips.

I had been on other quitting forums but they all pretty much centered on a certain program or mindset.

I think what made SR so comfortable to me was the different thought processes. The different methods discussed and I think out of all was the fact everyone agreed there was more than one way to quit and that it was up to me to find the way that worked for me.
I liked that open mindedness. It was comforting. I didn't Have to do it this way or that way. I could do what felt right for Me.
And that is exactly what I have done.
That's how I've done most things in my life, take a bunch of info and compare it to my life and skillset then make it work. So why could it not be done with sobriety?!
Frankly I had never thought of that.

Where do I go from here? Forward of course.
Sober

Thanks to all who post on SR. Your words truly do change people's lives.
To those who are still struggling to find their way, keep looking. Never stop looking but don't use the excuse you haven't found the right way yet to keep drinking. Put the booze down and Make your Own way.
Or take a path followed by many before.
One of the 2 Will work for you but you gotta Work it.
Can't plant a seed if you don't first Work the soil.

Have a Great weekend everyone and keep fighting the good fight

Old 07-15-2022, 08:22 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Love and peace to all our Sober buddies and those struggling. Have a great day all.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:35 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

No vet for the dog
Old 07-15-2022, 08:43 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Kaily, I hope your pup is feeling better.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:43 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Patcha!

Good post Fishkiller, I has not really thought about it before but you're right, people don't tend to chainsaw a specific recovery method on SR and that is a good thing because "all" you need to do is not drink - not drinking won't kill you so how you get to not drinking is all personal psychology. You just have to keep examining yourself until you find the mindset that gets you sober.

There is a possibility that on Sunday the temperature in the UK (or parts of it) will hit the highest ever recorded. 40°C / 104°F s a possibilty. The temperature had never reached 100°F until 2003. Global warming has well and truly arrived.

Hey ho, at least it's Friday and hometime.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:46 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Hello everyone

I always read the weekenders but my attention span is so short I don't post much because I feel bad if I miss responding to anyone.
I know.

Anyway 2.5 years ago today I was drinking. Day drinking alone. I was miserable. Had been for quit some time.
I found SR mentioned on another forum totally unrelated to sobriety or anything close to it. Someone posted asking for help quitting in a general discussion area of the forum and a poster sent a link to SR.
I was a member of the forum but had found the post during a Google search for quitting drinking. It was an older post so I never saw it while on the forum.
I joined. I posted. I got support pretty quickly. I stayed here all day.
Still drinking. Once I start I cannot, well at least will not, stop until I pass out.
I read countless posts and spent who knows how many hours here reading and responding to folks supporting my thread.

This place just felt right to me.

I was not wrong.
That was and will be the last day of my life alcohol ever touched my lips.

I had been on other quitting forums but they all pretty much centered on a certain program or mindset.

I think what made SR so comfortable to me was the different thought processes. The different methods discussed and I think out of all was the fact everyone agreed there was more than one way to quit and that it was up to me to find the way that worked for me.
I liked that open mindedness. It was comforting. I didn't Have to do it this way or that way. I could do what felt right for Me.
And that is exactly what I have done.
That's how I've done most things in my life, take a bunch of info and compare it to my life and skillset then make it work. So why could it not be done with sobriety?!
Frankly I had never thought of that.

Where do I go from here? Forward of course.
Sober

Thanks to all who post on SR. Your words truly do change people's lives.
To those who are still struggling to find their way, keep looking. Never stop looking but don't use the excuse you haven't found the right way yet to keep drinking. Put the booze down and Make your Own way.
Or take a path followed by many before.
One of the 2 Will work for you but you gotta Work it.
Can't plant a seed if you don't first Work the soil.

Have a Great weekend everyone and keep fighting the good fight
I love you fish.

And I am so very glad you accidentally stumbled upon SR on that day 2.5 years ago. s xx
Old 07-15-2022, 08:49 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
No vet for the dog
Kaily, how bad is this situation? You might need to report it to animal welfare.

s xx
Old 07-15-2022, 08:53 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is doing well.

This Covid nightmare has left me up in a heap. I can't sleep properly at night and keep nodding off in small bursts when I get in in the late afternoon. Appetite is still not good so I'm off to the chemist in a while to get some more of those GP prescribed drinks which I should have collected on Wednesday. I felt like rubbish yesterday that I actually feel like I have long Covid. I was reading about the symptoms and a lot of how I feel does point to that. Hoping to go to town tomorrow if I can as I haven't been in a bookshop for ages. It's a nice day weather wise. Have a nice weekend everyone!
Old 07-15-2022, 08:54 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Oh gosh. I didn't realize it was that bad. If you need to report them, like Venus says, please do so. Love you Kaily and your lovely pets! Good luck and all the best to you and your lovely dogs. Take good care of the babies! 💖💥💢💟💞☮💫☯💖
Love and peace to all of you, my friends.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:59 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Aly it is not my dog that is poorly, it's a neighbours dog.

Venus, I can't report my neighbours I have to live here. I need to draw a line else I will make myself ill. I have done and said what I can.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:05 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Sending love, Kaily. 💖💌💟☮💞
Old 07-15-2022, 09:35 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Tetra so very sorry you think you have long covid. I have heard there are support groups for it.
Kaily I am sorry your neighbors are being irresponsible about their dog. Did you try to tactfully suggest they take him to the vet? Maybe you did and I missed that.

Sao I am with you on the climate change. I am trying to reduce my carbon footprint as much as I can. Looking into getting solar panels on my roof. Not sure I get enough sun. Is this allowed or is this discussion political? It really is just science and fact.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:56 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders,
I'm checking in for a sober weekend. I'm struggling with severe depression and can hardly function. Yet another medication trial, it's very wearying. I can just about brush my teeth, that's all.

Kaily, I'm so sorry about your ME. That must be a huge challenge. You did your best with that poor dog.

FK, thanks for the inspiring post. Your story and contributions have helped me a lot.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:26 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

CB, I am a huge worrier too. Mr. Alpine says if there is nothing to worry about I will make up something to worry about.
Kailey, sorry about the pup issues. It is so hard when your hands are tied
Leshar, sorry you are feeling so depressed. I have been there and it is no fun. Big hug to you]
Tetra, sorry you are feeling so poorly. I hope you feel better soon.