Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

A good place for the weekend - Weekenders 22 - 25 October 2021

Notices

A good place for the weekend - Weekenders 22 - 25 October 2021

Old 10-23-2021, 02:43 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Wonderful pictures Captain!
Thanks for sharing them ☼
Old 10-23-2021, 10:02 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders from a still dark U.K.

Thamks for sharing the pics with us CaptainHaddock, beautiful trees. Pleased your mum’s memorial service went well.

Been having some weird dreams last just lately. Last night I dreamt I was pregnant at 63 years. give me strength. Thankfully it was just a dream. 😳

​​​​​​Don’t forget to shout out. We’re ‘non judgemental’ good listeners.

Love to all xxxx
​​​
Old 10-24-2021, 12:20 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Superb photos CaptainHaddock, the Jacaranda looks great at this time of the year.

I hope everyone got through Saturday night OK.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:48 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Wonderful pictures Capt. I can see how having a memorial service much later could be better in some ways and more awkward in others. I hope you are managing with it OK.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:15 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sunday morning on the left coast of the U.S. It won't be light out for hours, but I woke up and - I'm up!

Lovely trees, do they have a fragrance, Captain?

Kaily, check in girl. I know it's hard but we're with you and we're your friends.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:05 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Thanks for the pretty pics Captain. Kaily I hope you are okay! Mags I have pregnant dreams too and when I wake up I am so relieved. I have three children but I knew after number three I was done! Sharing a pic I took of the sunset from the top of my driveway last week. We have so many trees we can't see sunsets from the yard. Happy Sunday everyone!

Old 10-24-2021, 10:32 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Magsie

CBS yeah I was relieved too! what a beautiful sunset. The sky looks amazing!
Old 10-24-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Wow CBS ~ that is just divine honey! ❤️
Old 10-24-2021, 01:29 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

A great photo and a beautiful sunset CBS.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:56 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

CBS I’m glad it all went well

Beautiful photos Free, Captain & CBS
I love jacaranda trees, they remind me of my childhood.

Captain I’m so glad you had the memorial for your mother ❤️

I have some really weird dreams too Mags lol. But last night I dreamt about my Mum, we were walking down the street, it was really comforting to feel her presence when I woke up this morning, I’ll take the feeling with me all day ❤️
Old 10-24-2021, 06:27 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Magsie

Willow, that’s a lovely dream of your mum.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:11 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Morning all,

I'm up early here to try to get my work started ahead of the day and I can report another sober weekend complete. My housemate cooked yesterday which was a treat. He had a glass of red with it and it didn't bother me at all.

Thanks Captain and CBS for the lovely photos. Sao, I have long believed that communal ground source heat pumps should be a thing. Air source pumps are noisy and inefficient by comparison.

Paul McCartney was on the radio here over the weekend having just released his autobiography. It was a good listen, in particular how many of his lyrics and melodies came to him in dreams. 'Let it be' was a dream about his mother reassuring him during a difficult phase. How nice, I thought. Apparently Mr McCartney was going to be an English teacher as his original career.

Anyway, I had better get on with said work... Kaily, I hope you're doing OK. Warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:04 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Forwards, have a good day at work. Pleased you had a sober weekend.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:45 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, good to see you Forwards, I agree, ground sourced heat pumps are the way forward. I live in a low-rise block of flats (apartments) which presents a challenge but not an insurmountable one. I expect the hardest part will be persuading the other residents. Today is the day that London's ULEZ - Ultra Low Emissions Zone - expands significantly. Basically if you drive an old diesel you have to pay.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:13 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Ground source heat pumps. Sounds expensive. I would be hard to convince, but then I'll be paying for the big re-siding project we did for the next ten years, so I'd be hard to convince of any big expenditure.

Monday and another non-drinking weekend in the Books. 399 sober weekends. I'll probably forget it's Weekend #400 by the time Friday rolls around.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:47 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
saoutchik

They are pricey up front bim but then it's free heat thereafter. There are also financial incentives like grants plus they are a niche/early adopter purchase now but there should be economies of scale at some point.
Congratulations on 400 Sober weekends. Epic.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:57 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

just life happening...I'm ok with that
Old 10-25-2021, 05:02 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Ground sourced AC would be worth a look for us, if or when it exists.

Bimini, 399 weekends without drinking proves that it's possible.

My team plays athensdawg's team this weekend. It's called "The World's Largest Cocktail Party" for a reason. The tradition of the game is one huge tailgating affair with setups that include outdoor kitchens, flatscreens with satellite reception, and of course all manner of alcohol. I'll be watching it on tv, drinking my sparkling water and sport drink mixtures.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:42 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Another sober weekend in the books for me.

Had an awful experience Saturday. Friday afternoon, I took my new convertible 35 miles to a dealership so that they could perform the 15,000 mile service on it (I bought the car used). The service was supposed to include a full inspection, an oil change, topping off of all fluids, some lubrication of various moving parts. Well, they tried to up-sell me on some services I didn't think I needed (like a new set of tires), and since I'll be storing it for the winter, I brushed off all of it and got out of there with just paying for the service. Saturday, I did notice a small bit of oil on my garage floor, so I checked the dipstick and it had actually TOO much oil in it so man friend and I figured it was over filled a bit and maybe what we saw on the floor was just some extra that made its way out somehow. So, we took her out for a spin, one last time before winter storage. We did notice that they did not top off my windshield washer fluid, and that they had left oily fingerprints on the car. As we were approaching home, my tire pressure sensor went off. That was annoying, since I had just had it in for service the DAY BEFORE and they were supposedly properly inflated at that time. So when I got home, I went inside for a few minutes to let the dog out, then went back to the garage to check on the tire pressure. What I saw then was unbelievable... a huge pool of oil spreading from underneath the car. I quickly got on the floor to look underneath, and there was a steady stream of drips of oil coming out from the area I assumed was the drain plug. Evidently, they did not properly tighten the drain plug after the oil change!! I put a drain pan under the car to catch what was dripping out, called the dealership to see if anyone was still there. Service folks all gone for the ay, but I talked to the sales manager. He was rightfully extremely apologetic and promised they would make it right. Yesterday, the man friend came over we jacked the car up and went underneath to see if we could tighten the drain plug and get some oil into it (by then all of it had drained out). But it's inaccessible without special tools and having it on a lift. So there it sits in my garage, un-drivable (luckily, the oil did not all drain out while I was driving it)! Oh, and the tires evidently were not filled at all, as two of them were low on pressure. The inspection sheet showed that they were inflated to 36 PSI, which is not even the correct pressure for those tires, so I think they just blew it off completely. I sent the sales manager pictures of all of it, and a video showing the oil dripping out of the bottom. I'm waiting to hear from them this morning. They will have to come get it from my house, transport it on a flatbed, fix everything, and bring it back to my house. And I don't want to pay a penny for any of it. I am calmed down now, but I was absolutely livid. NOT once did the thought of a drink cross my mind, though.

I hope Leigh and Kaily are ok.
Congrats on (almost) 400 weekends, BIM!
I love the jacaranda tree pics, Captain.
Free, Now you've got me wanting to go to Kiawah. Looks really nice.
I'll probably tune in to watch the Gators and Dawgs this weekend. If I'm not doing other stuff.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:49 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Magsie

Marty, the incompetence of some ‘skilled’ workers winds me up too! Thank goodness the worst of it happened when you got home.

Bim, brilliant! Upcoming 400 weekends.

Had my booster this morning. All went well. So far so good.