Notices

Horses for Courses - Weekenders 15 - 18 October 2021

Old 10-13-2021, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

to the Weekenders

Working and Observing for some years on the Racecourses around Britain, I learnt that there are some courses that horses prefer more than others and succeed on these courses.

Left Hand or Right Hand courses were important. Some galloped perfectly around one course to then perform badly at another.

At a race meeting in Doncaster I remember there was much expectation and anticipation for the favourite to win a particular race.

I was gobsmacked. Didn’t they realise the ground was all wrong for this horse, it hated soft ground!

It lost, in fact the horse pulled up because it couldn’t gallop in the soft.

Strange that what is good, for example, soft ground(going), right-handed courses, for one horse can be the failure of another horse.

Pretty much like our recovery I think!

What works for each of us may differ.

Finding your ‘right’ ground and ‘right’ course makes all the difference between keeping on our sober course or pulling up at a hurdle along the way.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes.

(Psst. We’re not just here to talk about the good stuff, if you’re struggling.....please shout out).

(We’re here all week too!)

Old 10-13-2021, 11:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags Love the intro. Being a horsey girl for most of my life, I have seen the most neurotic horses come good and thrive in the right environment. Sadly vice versa too. They are sensitive souls. As are all animals, which is often overlooked as we bulldoze their homes and poison their environments.

Security is a much needed foundation for a healthy life.

Mags your rice therapy is so simple but sounds really effective. I hope it helps.

Sao I hope today is better. Some people have no sense or feelings.

I bumped into an ex boyfriend in the supermarket yesterday. I hadn't seen him for 12 years. He is 10 years younger than me. The last 12 years have not been kind to me as my alcoholism progressed. He looked exactly the same if not better than before. I could see him looking at me as if to say, what happened.

Anyway it stirred up lots of stuff. Not for him romantically. But for a time I still had fun and laughed. Sigh ..

Other news, Alfie mugged Daisy of her chew, then I mugged him. Chew is back in the cupboard.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, don’t be hard on yourself. I look in the mirror and used to see my mum now I see my nannan. Alfie’s been waiting to do that since Daisy hid her chew I bet!
Old 10-14-2021, 12:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks, Mags...
Old 10-14-2021, 12:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm in....shotgun too!?
Old 10-14-2021, 12:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you Mags

D
Old 10-14-2021, 01:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Reid, Congratulations on shotgun
Old 10-14-2021, 02:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags for the OP. Any tips for todays races ?

Everything is good in vmans land. I finally found a treatment which works for anxiety... Peace at last

Hope everone is well....weekenders !
Old 10-14-2021, 02:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good morning everyone, today is 50 days with no alcohol.

morning exercise shortly and then coffee.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

AthensDawg congratulations on 50 days

Vinny, yeah, keep your money in your pocket! (that’s not a tip but what I heard said once by a racing commentator in a lift when he was asked).
Old 10-14-2021, 03:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for this new chapter Mags!

I found the ‘right’ ground and ‘right’ course for me : "Don't take any"

Have a good day Weekenders! ☼

Old 10-14-2021, 03:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Was thinking that the bookies must have done well on the horse that was favored to win.

We had horses when I was growing up, but they were half-wild ones that my dad had picked up cheap here and there. Saturdays at the horse barn were more like a rodeo event.

Athensdawg, great job on 50 day!

Kaily, when I was still drinking, people would sometimes comment that I looked older than I was. Tough mileage when you're drinking. Years ago I was always very proud to leave others in the dust so to speak while doing the physical work. That is certainly no longer the case.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

This old horse ran on more wrong courses than I can count.
I am on the right track now and IN for this weekend!
Thanks Mags!
Old 10-14-2021, 05:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great analogy, Mags. When I first got sober I had zero doubt in my ability to stay that way until I went to some AA meetings and was told I was on slippery ground unless I did this thing or that thing. I thought they were way off base. I found my people here in this forum. Animal lovers, unite!

And, Cityboy, you mentioned that you struggle with social situations...I find you very engaging.

There is a way to stay sober and it's only as simple or as difficult as one decides it is. Now the rest of life - lots of mysterious stuff on which to ponder!

Head butts all around. In for a sober weekend with my Weekender pals.

Old 10-14-2021, 05:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post

Kaily, when I was still drinking, people would sometimes comment that I looked older than I was. Tough mileage when you're drinking. Years ago I was always very proud to leave others in the dust so to speak while doing the physical work. That is certainly no longer the case.
Ha ha, I used to add on years so my age matched how I looked.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good. Morning!

Im on the right track, I do believe!

For some, it is simple, black and white. ‘It’s easy!’

For some, very difficult, ‘multiple times falling out of the race, can’t find the pace, have a poor jockey, not able to get premium oats, etc’.

I’m in it for the long haul, like the half marathons - I don’t know how I’ll finish, or if I’ll place.

What I do know is, to be careful where I place my feet, to look ahead, and be careful to watch for and avoid those things that will trip me (other racers, roots, rocks, uneven ground).

Thanks for the great opener, Mags!

Hope everyone on here has a splendid weekend. 😎
Old 10-14-2021, 06:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm IN!
Congrats on 50 days, Athens!

Not much to report here, just really really busy. But I got some sleep last night, because my tooth pain seems to be gone. Yesterday was a bit rough, being only the next day after a major procedure. I didn't know what to expect and it was still quite painful at times. Seems much much better today. I have a renewed commitment to taking excellent care of my teeth. Things got sloppy while I was still drinking. Since I got sober it's been much better, but I still smoked until 2 years ago, so that didn't help. And on top of that, I did develop quite a sugar habit, so my poor gums and teeth did suffer. Cutting back on the sugar, no longer smoke, and I have committed to better overall habits. It's all I can do.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags

I shall be saying neigh to alcohol this weekend.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Andyh

😂🤣😂😅
Old 10-14-2021, 10:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders!

Thank you for the thread, Mags!

I used to go horseback riding, so this sobriety metaphor make perfect sense for me.

I would add another one. When the trainer was teaching me to jump she used to say: "Don't look at the hurdle. Look beyond. If you keep your eyes on the hurdle, you will never get over it".

Today I am nine years sober. I posted about it in a separate thread, but decided to brag a little bit here too)

I had a dentist appointment in the morning, and finally I just scheduled appointment for a regular check, not because of some dental emergency. And I got away with just teeth cleaning.

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
T.

I bumped into an ex boyfriend in the supermarket yesterday. I hadn't seen him for 12 years. He is 10 years younger than me. The last 12 years have not been kind to me as my alcoholism progressed. He looked exactly the same if not better than before. I could see him looking at me as if to say, what happened.

Anyway it stirred up lots of stuff. Not for him romantically. But for a time I still had fun and laughed. Sigh ..
Kaily - It seems to be ex's kind of days. I saw the former "Hell maybe" in the bus on my way from work. And his is 9 years younger than me). It's been over two years, and I tried not to look at him. But a quick glance was enough for me to think "Oh, You got to be joking. I was upset about him?"

Vinny - Hi! Glad to hear you've found help with anxiety.

Sao - Sorry, I don't know what happened, but sending you positive vibes.

Have a great day, everyone!