Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Happy to be Sober? OR Dying for the next drink? Weekenders 10 - 13 September2021

Notices

Happy to be Sober? OR Dying for the next drink? Weekenders 10 - 13 September2021

Old 09-09-2021, 07:25 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Nice post.

Nope. I can honest-to-God say that I want an alcohol drink as much as I could go for a glass of carpet cleaner. I mean that, these days I see it as straight-up poison, because that's what it is for my system.

I also can't imagine how the heck I could do it. Between full-time job, 2 small kids, grad school at night, and cooking/garden/cleaning -- I don't even have the energy for alcohol. Alcohol takes too much of it. Your body has to expend huge amounts of time and energy expelling the poison.

Who's got time for that ****?
Old 09-09-2021, 08:17 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

^^^ I'm with Evoo on this one. I lost the desire to drink a long time ago and now the thought of drinking literally turns my stomach. Evokes a 'yuck' from me. It's a toxic liquid and, like the saying goes, I'm "once bitten, twice shy". Since I once had 20 yrs sober and threw it away 14 yrs ago when I started drinking wine to 'relax' before the kids got home from school. I love my sober life too much to lose it again.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:18 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Ate so much ******* food yesterday. But I wasn't eating during my recent bender so perhaps I needed to. Made sure to get lots of thiamine. Healthy diet starts today. Aiming for a about 1500 calories, want sustainable weight loss. And be sure to get my five a day.

Starting couch to 5k when the sun comes up so excited about that. Will be able to run a 5k by Halloween if I stick to it. I miss the runner's high. It's better than alcohol.

I'm unemployed at the moment but going to work on my CV later. My CV is a disaster but I have some admin experience so hopefully I can get a nice admin job this year. It would be good for my depression and anxiety.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:46 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

im in but late as usual, thanks for the thread mags x
Old 09-09-2021, 08:49 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

You guys are KILLING me about the red hotdogs! Gross!

ive eaten less than 20 hotdogs my whole life……

last one was watching American baseball World Series playoffs a few years ago 🙄🤯

it wasn’t red. It was Hebrew national Kosher without chicken lips and other ‘additives’ like red dyes #40

Old 09-09-2021, 09:01 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Evoo and erratic good to see you

I joined Slimming World years ago. It was when I got sober for 8 months on my own, but magically thought I could drink like a normie. how wrong was I.

Anyway, I digressed….when I went to Slimming World I always remember the host said ‘if the food is shiny it’s fattening’. I’ve watched many a cookery program since and thought this looks healthy until they add the ‘shiny’ sauces.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:56 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning.

Welcome to Weekenders Evoo!

If ice cream was healthy I would probably eat it three or four times a day.

I joined Weight Watchers once, I said it's an emergency can you send someone round?

They replied "certainly, we've got lots of those."
Old 09-09-2021, 11:23 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Thankyou for the birthday wishes going to have to change my username to AL49 .
Old 09-09-2021, 11:35 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Magsie

Al,
Old 09-09-2021, 11:37 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Morning.

Welcome to Weekenders Evoo!

If ice cream was healthy I would probably eat it three or four times a day.

I joined Weight Watchers once, I said it's an emergency can you send someone round?

Brilliant Saou!
Old 09-10-2021, 03:32 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

My desert roses are in bloom ❤️

Old 09-10-2021, 03:43 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Those desert roses are shockingly pink! Thanks for that, it helped wake me up. Beeyouteefull.

If ya'll get me started on my food issues and the things I've done/tried to get it under control I'd fill up the internet, and nobody wants that. I'm a Moderation Management girl with food. Trying to stop eating delicious treats is impossible so I use all kinds of tricks to allow those foods in, but moderately. For me that mostly means every-now-and-then. Then the rest of the time I focus on

#1. Enough Protein and Fat,
#2. Enough fiber (I shoot for 800g fruit and vegetables a day, usually hit about 40-50g fiber) and
#3. Variety

I gotta keep it simple, ya know?

The biggest thing is psychological. If hunger's not the problem, food isn't the solution.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:57 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

good morning. Yesterday was a struggle but I battled through it without alcohol. Happy to be sober this morning and got some decent sleep last night.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:08 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Magsie

Willow, lovely desert rose. Not like roses I'm familiar with.

Bim I think moderation is good.

AthensDawg, pleased you got through yesterday sober. The battles get easier.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:23 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Afternoon Weekenders.

I have to check whether my employer has somehow set up a pinhole camera at my home (office), because if they did they‘d be rather shocked by what they see. It‘s been a long, hard week and I have to admit that about half of the work I did today involved gardening.

On that note, Willow, I’m pretty sure your desert roses are endemic to Southern Africa. Over here it‘s called an Impala Lily (adenium multiflorum) although it could also be the closely related Swaziland Lily (adenium swazicum). They are very popular so there are many hybrids and it‘s often difficult (for me at least) to identify them as the one or the other. Yours is flowering beautifully.

Erratic, I‘m glad to see a much happier looking bee .

Old 09-10-2021, 05:30 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Willow, those desert roses are very flashy. They look like they are plugged into a wall socket. Nice!

AthensD, you guys should have an easy weekend. Famous last words, eh. Ranked #2, nice! Going on my second football season since I quit drinking, now I don't seem to feel all that anxiety of win/loose, players getting hurt, or how much beer can I possibly drink before switching to whiskey drinks at half time.

Bimini, I'm going to remember that. "If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution."

Al, I would start going backwards. Change name to Al47 this time, Al 46 next year.

Saou, maybe low fat spinach and kale ice cream?

I was wondering about the hot dogs. Why red? Why not orange or blue or pink? I'm sure it has to do with market research and what color of hot dog is likely to move the fastest.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:23 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post

I like to keep myself in shape. round is a shape.

I have the body of a God. well, of Buddha anyway.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:53 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

thanks captianhaddock ,x thought i needed cheering up lol
Old 09-10-2021, 08:12 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Sunset below from last Night. Courtesy of Fires elsewhere. I'm 'glad', I guess, that any Haze is not inside my Head these Days.

I try to keep the *good* desires, and trash heap the others. Drinking among them. I've absolutely no desire to ever pick up again. An occasional bit of watchfulness is now all that's required to remain Effortlessly Sober.

MesaMate's Salon Gal Pal had one rough upbringing. She sobered up 12 Years ago in her 30s. That lasted until she recently met 'Mister Wrong'; an accomplished Alk and Daytime Drinker. With her Shoulder mending just fine, part of her Salon visit today is to play Relationship Counselor to this Gal who pretty much lost everything when her own Salon failed during the CV-19 turndown. Her now-renewed drinking with her new Partner has packed on the weight, of course. Relationships are strained. All the familiar, predictable knock-on effects. It's a true mess that I can process only from my protected, remote Lair O'Sobriety. While I no longer 'need' reasons to not drink, watching this Gal's Life implode is a convincing reminder.

A lil Music to accompany the nice Flower Pix.

'I Kiss The Flower In Bloom' ~ Close Lobsters

Thanks again, Mags...

Old 09-10-2021, 08:24 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Magsie

Gorgeous sunset MesaMan. It’s sad when we see someone destroying their lives for their addiction. We can’t do a thing to help if they don’t want to stop.