Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Happy to be Sober? OR Dying for the next drink? Weekenders 10 - 13 September2021

Notices

Happy to be Sober? OR Dying for the next drink? Weekenders 10 - 13 September2021

Old 09-09-2021, 09:54 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I actually eat very healthily. But I binge afterwards every single evening. I look forward to it all day. Sometimes I'm sick.
I think talking about it is a BIG win dear Kaily.

You are opening the door to help....and we collectively understand very well.
I never purged, but I have gone through a good few years of anorexia and a lot of years of obesity.
Eating issues are hard.....for sure. xx

Old 09-09-2021, 10:01 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks, Magsnificent, for another thread and great topic. I, too, love the broken chain and free birds; recovery is very much like that for me. Never EVER want to return to the true HELL of alcoholism.

Thanks, all, for the great posts.

freedomfries, stick with it and build a very strong and very active Recovery plan; chances are you will embrace and value your sobriety.

Al, , belatedly.

Aly, hope all goes well with your test shots and, eventually, the ablation. Two friends have had neck ablutions and responded well. Lots of love and thoughts go with you. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:05 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thank you, dearest Leigh!
Old 09-09-2021, 10:06 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

...and just for the record, I eat well too, but in the past I would sit and eat a half gallon of ice cream and a loaf of French bread with a whole wheel of brie cheese - in addition to my regular meals. Chocolate was not my choice unless it was mini Snickers or Reeses...chocolate could trigger a migraine for me and if there's one thing that will change your food choices it's a debilitating migraine for two days. Not recommended as a Solution!!

I could eat almost a pound of peanut butter in one sitting along with that French bread too - if brie wasn't on the menu. Or a whole big bag of potato chips sitting in front of the TV. It's all about impulse, food choices, depression, anxiety. It's not one particular food although chocolate does have some powerful physiological triggers and it does help with mood so that's part of the problem for sure. Just like alcohol though - there's a binge/restrict/feel great/feel shame mood alteration and breaking that is not easy. That stuff is deep.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:56 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I actually eat very healthily. But I binge afterwards every single evening. I look forward to it all day. Sometimes I'm sick.
Kaily, sorry to hear you're struggling with this . Is this something that you've always struggled with or is it something that has either started recently or has got worse recently? I'm just wondering if it could be linked to the recent problems you have been having with your neighbours? Or if you've had a binge eating problem for a while, could recent events have made it worse (because of anxiety)?

Old 09-09-2021, 11:08 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks for this new chapter Mags ☼

I'm in for another sober weekend!
Old 09-09-2021, 11:24 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks Robbie. It started (mildly) when I got sober. After some time I got it under control for about 8 months but then relapsed about a year ago and it has got worse since then.

I have discussed it with my Dr but little she can do. I suffer bad anxiety anyway which is medicated.

Maybe I need to learn to knit.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:17 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I’m in….had a bit of a slip here this week. Need to refocus.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:50 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily I saw an advert for arm knitting in a nearby village.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:02 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday Al
Glad you’re here LHW

D
Old 09-09-2021, 01:06 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Kaily - I was a recent victim of identity theft and it appears that somehow the breach occurred with my cell phone provider. Just a thought for you to check out.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:24 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Glad that you are back with us, LHW.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:49 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you LHW
Old 09-09-2021, 02:55 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I just Googled ‘arm knitting’ - looks cool. Quick, easy and pretty.

Old 09-09-2021, 03:12 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders

Thanks Mags, I’m in for another sober weekend

Marty that was another really great post, that really resonated for me, thank you

Aly, hugs for you and your Mum. I hope the procedure goes well

Kaily I found I substituted alcohol for food to a certain degree, especially sugar. Sugar is so addictive
I’m struggling with not pigging out in the evenings. I eat healthy food all day, then from dinner time until bed time I seem to eat everything in sight. I’m trying to not buy stuff that I will scoff, but we always seem to have scoffable food in the house (partner and teen always want chips, biscuits, icecream, sweets etc).

I don’t know if this is going to work, and it might not make much difference, but I decided to try. I just cooked up a huge pot of veggie soup. It’s an old heart foundation recipe for losing weight prior to surgery. It’s basically just tomato based (a couple of tins or heaps of fresh tomatoes and water) with heaps of veggies, plus chilli and herbs for flavour. So I’m going to try and eat soup in the evening. I also bought salsa to eat with carrot and celery sticks. That way I can munch away. I know all the other food is there too so I might not be able to resist, but I have found previously that if I can get through a week, I get on a roll….
Old 09-09-2021, 04:29 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I’m in, JOYOUS To not be ingesting poison, and joyous to have pigged out on pizza today.

Did a four mile walk this am, so must be justifying my pig out.

Ice cream is GREAT, bim, but not that much. And a few years ago I ate a whole French baguette by myself with olive oil and balsamic glaze. 🤢🤮

Just a quick hello here, jumping in the shower, surprised i was able to get in. Having trouble earlier in Midwest with super slow loading.

Choose life, everyone! It can be happy without alcohol.

Just turned down a glass of wine earlier.,Felt like a superpower to me!
Old 09-09-2021, 05:46 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi Free
yep sobriety is our superpower
Old 09-09-2021, 06:33 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Since we're on the subject of binging on unhealthy foods... My brother called earlier and was at a baseball game. He apparently had access to the VIP room, because he sent me a picture of the buffet. It all looks good but I think that now I know what the heart association means when they recommend avoiding red meat. They're talking about those hot dogs.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:38 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, the American Heart Association would be all over that meal. Pass the sauerkraut but hold the meat, please.

Kaily, hope the rest of the day was quiet for you with no more surprises.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:46 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Ahhh but the red colour is so natural