Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Happy to be Sober? OR Dying for the next drink? Weekenders 10 - 13 September2021

Notices

Happy to be Sober? OR Dying for the next drink? Weekenders 10 - 13 September2021

Old 09-09-2021, 04:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Magsie

Glad to hear it SnazzyDresser Good to see you.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi all weekenders. Spent my first birthday in many years yesterday sober, watched my sons game (rugby)sober, drove home and had a cake with my family sober and woke up this morning no hangover, guilt free or saying never again to myself with sweat pouring down my forehead. Yes being sober is just great.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Afternoon Weekenders and thanks Mags. I hope your wrist will get a good workout or rest the weekend, whichever it needs to keep getting better.

Nice to see you SnazzyDresser. I always have to remind myself that your avatar is the real you, at least I think so

Welcome Haris and congrats on shotgun Reid.

I‘m sorry to hear about the identity issue, Kaily. Hopefully nothing serious will come of it. I think identity theft is a particularly cruel crime, even if it lacks violence.

Edit: Belated happy birthday AL48. Sorry, I didn‘t see there‘s a page 2 already.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Kaily, I hope your personal information and bank account are safe. There are so many bogus emails and calls now. I wonder if they have figured out to just verify emails addresses, phone numbers, Facebook accounts, etc. and then sell them to some online advertising companies. I've been getting tons of bogus calls recently and it really gets annoying.

Great opening mags. "Dying for another drink." Killing myself slowly for so long, and damaging those around me.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was just thinking last night how I am so happy to be sober. This year has been the year of "Chopping wood and carrying water."
At first, the task was really arduous. I was a mess. After some time of "chopping wood and carrying water" my body and brain became adjusted and the task became easier. I started to add in more tools and honing in on positive thinking while still "chopping wood and carrying water."

I am truly happy to be sober and truly happy that I understand how to stay sober and be productive in my life. I cant wait to see what will be accomplished in the following months and years! The sky is the limit! Keep on moving forward everyone. We are doing this!
Old 09-09-2021, 06:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Magsie

Belated Happy (sober) Birthday Al, pleased you had a good day!, it’s good feeling

Nice one Mizz!
Old 09-09-2021, 06:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks CaptainHaddock, it’s getting some of both, exercises and rest. It helps.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm IN! Thanks, Mags. Love the image of the broken chain and the birds. That's how it feels to me.

I'm definitely happy to be sober. Took a while to get to that point for real. Yeah, at first I liked not having hangovers or wondering what dumb thing I had done or said, and I liked that I wasn't adding to the heap of emotional and relationship and legal junk I needed to clear up in the early months and years (still some lingering issues there). But I didn't really feel HAPPY to be sober for a while. It was like Mizz said, "chopping wood and carrying water." Going through the motions, doing the work, day after day. I'd say a couple of months in, I started to have days when I could feel some joy now and then. It was fleeting. I was still mostly miserable, but I knew that was a temporary state. At least I was counting on that. I saw people in AA meetings with some good time under their belts, and they were always talking about gratitude and stuff, so I figured they must know something I didn't know yet. I kept at it. It was hard a lot of the time. I had so much to deal with... there were times I'd just sit and cry. I had ruined or nearly ruined so much in my life. Happiness? That was a dream in those dark days (it was also winter in the far northern US when I got sober... so it was indeed dark and cold). But I had support, and hope.

I can honestly say that the clouds really started to lift about a year in. I felt free. I felt calmer, much more capable, and began to like my life and myself a little. As time goes on (I'm at 6 years and 9 months now), things just keep getting better. I'll never go back. I have gotten through a lot since I got sober, and I did it all without resorting to alcohol. I'm not bulletproof, I know that. I remain on guard. No resting on laurels. One of the reasons I continue to visit SR regularly is because I feel like I want/need reminders now and then of what life used to be like, and I also believe the AA adage that "if you want to keep it, you have to give it away." Sharing my experiences and I hope a little bit of wisdom here helps keep me spiritually aligned.

Happy to be sober, happy to be here. I owe a lot to SR. Thanks to all of you for being here. I mean that sincerely.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags for another great intro

Good to see everyone here
Old 09-09-2021, 08:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

(((Kaily))) The banks and credit card co's are usually very helpful when I've had that type of thing happen. I wasn't accountable for any of it and I cancelled all my cards and got a very, very few new one. Sending prayers and love.
Thank you so much for the nice things said about my mom. It's rough on both of us. She's trying, I think. I appreciate that with all my heart.💗
I have to go for my second test shot today in my back. The gov't says you have to have two test shots in your back before you have the actual ablation. I can't wait. My back and head have been really bothering me. Luckily driving doesn't hurt my mom, so she can take me and pick me up. It's really close. They won't let you Uber, cab, it has to be someone you know to pick you up.
Mags, so good to hear you are feeling a bit better. Are you still going to phisio? How's the lovely Mr. M? All my love to you.
If I didn't mention you by name, I'm still thinking of you!
Have a great day to each and everyone of you. You are all so special to me in your own unique ways. I feel so lucky to know you all!
Old 09-09-2021, 09:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Magsie

Marty, when I saw the pic of chains and birds breaking free, it felt apt for me and hoped it did for all of us. Glad you liked it

Aly I hope the second shot helps and doesn’t cause any more pain love. Glad your mom could drive you there. Take care xx sending lots of healing prayers x. Mr. Mags is doing great. His op was a success and he’s ok thanks Aly. I’m ok. Getting there. I get impatient and annoyed with myself cos everything takes longer. But most of the time I’ve accepted it and just get on with it.

It’s still hot here but muggy. Think that rain they promised us is on its way.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Joining the Weekender thread!

Thank you for the new thread Mags, quitting booze is the opposite of a restriction, it is liberating as you can drive, use social media and talk to people without intoxication consequences. Booze is a chemical prison.

Welcome to Weekenders Unite4strength!

A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY Free2 and a non belated one to you Al48!

Best wishes to you and your mum Alysheba.

Kaily that is irritating about the booking.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks to those that offered support. It's all a bit stressful.

I was just looking at local AA meetings, thought I might go and see how I feel about them now that I'm sober. Also to seek help with my secondary addictions. Anyway I found one called Recovery goes Rogue on a Sunday. Great name, made me laugh.

Aly I don't really understand the procedures that you have to have or what they are for but I do hope they work and make you more comfortable.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thank you so very much, Mags and Sao. Goodness knows, we could use some good luck our way. i do appreciate the nice things you say (and funny and informative!)
Glad to be with you all today. I could use a very cool group of people around today!
Have a great day all, WE all deserve it!
Old 09-09-2021, 09:41 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Kaily, I've had to study it, so just know that any procedure I have to have involves needles and usu lots of them. Thank you, Sweetheart.
Once again, heartfelt wishes that mess gets cleared up. 💫💖💘💟💥💜🧡
Old 09-09-2021, 09:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

In for a sober weekend, of course. Not dying for a drink. Not dying for anything right now. All seems to be in balance in my world - at the moment. As long as I don't spend a lot of time with the news or covid-mania, I'm good.

I'll once again say that food was my hardest "addiction" to break, and specifically sweets for so many reasons. Myfitnesspal and their forums were helpful for that, K-girl. So is logging food. Every day. Even the binges - which I still have on occasion, but I accept one now and then. It doesn't help me to beat myself up over a pint of ice cream. I just don't do it often.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Bim, I started drinking sugary Cokes. I've never had anything but diet drink since I was a kid. The teeth, weight, etc. Now, I think I've given myself a mild addiction to Coke! I really have to wean off. If I only drank one a day, but it's a few. I guess there is a lot more sugar in booze (and Coca-Cola) that I would have imagined!
Old 09-09-2021, 09:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I actually eat very healthily. But I binge afterwards every single evening. I look forward to it all day. Sometimes I'm sick.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:54 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Kaily, if you have credit cards, most issuers have numbers that you can call and track usage; it is an automated service provided by most carriers. Really sorry that you had this experience. My husband was the victim of identity theft what a mess loans we’re taken out for the purchase of a Mercedes; applications were made for PayPal and Best Buy accounts. At another time, someone used my credit card to purchase “online minutes” for online gambling to the tune of $6,600; it took a while to sort that one out. At another time, someone purchased round-trip airline tickets from Seattle to Hong Kong; luckily the bill arrived three days before the scheduled flight and I was able to notify both the airline and the credit card company. We suspect that the identity theft originated at the DMV; we couldn’t trace the source of the credit card misuse.

Hope that this experience is the end for you but, if any other activity occurs, you may want to consider a credit monitoring company.

Hugs, Kaily.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:54 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm absolutely tickled pink to be sober! My life is much easier and simpler this way. No drama. Any problems that crop up are taken care of. I take much better care of myself and my beloved critters.

Yes, I love living sober and will live that way for the rest of my life.