Notices

Tired of waking up feeling horrible

Old 06-25-2021, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired of waking up feeling horrible

Some days I wake up just groggy, some days still drunk and some days so hungover I can't go to work and on the very rare occasion I might wake up feeling good, usually when I'm too hungover the day before to drink again..
​​​​​​I am tired of this life and really want something better for myself and I know the 1st step is to stop drinking but boy does it seem scary to break up from a 25 year relationship. I envision that things will only get worse if I don't make that break soon...
Old 06-25-2021, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ZIP

You're on the right track, Red. Long term drinking and an aging body don't mix well. For many of us, it exacerbates existing health problems--or will certainly contribute to such problems in the future. I really relate to your post. It's best to finally quit the booze habit.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Red, It'll get worse before it gets better it did for me, what's your plan?
Old 06-25-2021, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Red…I know just how you feel…Sick n tired of being sick n tired 🙁 Binge drinking used to give me the high I was looking for without the day after horrible withdrawals…The older I got, the drinking just didn’t do it for me anymore and to boot, the withdrawals were horrendous 😩😩😩 Finally quitting wasn’t easy and it was even scary…Once I got past the monthly pawsy cycles, things got way better…

Consider getting to the point where waking up in the morning will be pleasurable not painful…

Heres to hoping things pan out in your journey of sobriety.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One of the greatest benefits of being sober is waking up feeling good. I used to wake up feeling horrible and hating myself - not anymore.

I hope you'll get whatever help you need to get sober for good. It's hard at first, but so worth it.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is a horrible cycle. I was certainly drinking to cure the hangover from the day before. I think I finally just hit the mother of all hangovers and that convinced me to stop. Do it one day at a time, but stop and see where you are. My hangovers would last 3 days, so it would take a week or so to feel like I was normal. Try it for a week, then a month. You can do it. If I can, anybody can. Best wishes on your recovery.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Getting sober is scary but continuing to drink is scarier Red.
We've both lost friends.

You have a chance for a great life, once you put the booze down and keep it down.
Do whatever it takes.

D
Old 06-25-2021, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Red. That's just how I felt before coming to SR & finally getting free. It was no longer fun, exciting, or relaxing. I was dependent on it, & it was ruling my life.
You'll be so happy to wake up free from that awful dread we feel when drinking.
You're so right - things will only get worse. I ended up doing reckless, dangerous things. It was so hard to dig myself out of the mess I made. You'll be avoiding so much pain by ending this cycle. You can do it!
Old 06-25-2021, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ah Red, so good to see your post. I'm glad you are still around.

Yep this change is so dang tough.

Big hug to you.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happy to see you too Red. 🌺

Time to pack it in mate, life's too short to waste it on not living.

You will never ever regret it.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

To put it another way - I've never woken up sober and wished I had drank the night before.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
To put it another way - I've never woken up sober and wished I had drank the night before.
Isn't it pure insanity that when actively engaging in this addiction we wake every morning wishing we hadn't drunk the night before, yet we pick up again by that very same evening.. But the reverse isn't true we are just so grateful we didn't drink..
Old 06-26-2021, 01:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wake up in gratitude Red.

Give it a burl.

Old 06-26-2021, 01:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RAL

Welcome back Red. Great to see you Maybe join the June class?
Old 06-26-2021, 01:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Red, I felt that way too. I am so glad I quit. Quitting is hard but a drinking lifestyle is harder.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't remember it getting worse [Could be a selective memory thing] but I know right now it's an effing better life. I don't believe I have a complaint in the world right now.
Are things 100% perfect, nope but it's life and I'm enjoying/dealing with it.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back Red! I can definitely relate to how you are feeling, I spent many mornings waking up feeling awful, and swearing I was going to stop only to find myself drinking again that night. I finally had enough, I wanted to be healthy, both physically and mentally and I knew that couldn’t happen if I was still drinking.

I have been sober for five and a half years now, and SR has been one of the biggest parts of my recovery. Join the June clas, and then the July class when it starts up, also pop into the 24 hour thread, you’ll find lots of support in all of those places.

You can do this!
Old 06-26-2021, 03:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Red. Indeed it’s a horrible cycle we found ourselves in. I, too, would wake up and promise myself that the day before was my last day of drinking, only to break that promise a few hours later.

I wasn’t feeling particularly bad on the morning of my quit day. In fact, I felt fairly good, but had been mulling the quitting for quite some time. Though I had withdrawal throughout the day, I was so happy on my first day because I had finally taken action on something that needed doing. The next morning and every other morning since have been the best part. I know every day that goes by, my body is getting healthier.

You can do this, Red. You’ll be so glad you did. You’re not alone. 🤗
Old 06-26-2021, 04:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I said good bye to the b.... almost a year and a half ago after a 30 year relationship.
Don't miss that B one bit.

Don't miss the horrible mornings one bit

Nothing to fear what so ever
Old 06-26-2021, 07:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The relationship I had with alcohol was extremely abusive.
Someone had to go.

Getting sober is hard work but what is harder is living a life in chaos from alcohol. The hangovers, the lack of energy, the guilt, the proclamations. The list goes on and on. Its just chaotic madness. I can tell you that there is freedom and happiness on the other side. It is truly an amazing feeling to take back your life and live free from addiction.

One day at a time.