Notices

Sobriety-A Much Better Rush - Weekender 21-24 May, 2021

Old 05-22-2021, 03:48 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm in and thanks Mags!

Love this:
"The physical and mental intensity of the chemical rush is far outweighed by the profound mental and emotional rush of your own creation of beauty and excellence."

So true!
Old 05-22-2021, 05:55 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi all!! I’m hitting 5 weeks of sobriety tomorrow. I’m still feeling very tired at times, my anxiety is still all over the place at times and I’m eating way too much sugar but I feel bit better which is good!! I have started to try to get fit too. I played badminton twice in the week then today I went swimming at 8am and then took my son and his friend to play badminton at 11! I think I’m gonna feel it later haha. I’m also going swimming tomorrow and may trial the gym lol!

Im loving all the birdie pics! I’m still trying to work out how to add pics! We went to a country life park near Haven in Exmouth a few years ago and they have bird flying displays and you can hold them too. My kids held the peregrine Falcon and I held the bald eagle. Wow the eagle is huge and very heavy. Both birds were absolutely gorgeous. It was breathtaking to be so close to them.

Hope your all having a fantabulous weekend xx
Old 05-22-2021, 06:03 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Jo, congrats on all the positive changes and family activities, all made possible by not drinking for five weeks. The anxiety will die down. It took a whole lot longer than I wanted it to take. For me it was several months.

Primativo! Really good insights in your post, thanks for that - I'm sure you've helped a lot of people with that post. This thread gets a lot of readers and lurkers, and that was very well described.

Sober Saturday morning never gets old, with allllllllll those hours ahead to do - Anything!
Old 05-22-2021, 06:09 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday!
These are some pictures from the beach yesterday. Speaking of paying attention to birds more - this pigeon (I think) was almost asking for it and let me get very close, I could almost touch it and wasn't even offering food or anything. Didn't seem sick but very docile.

I have some doves around my apartment, can hear their calls every morning, quite lovely. At first I thought it was some kind of owl - shame on me, I'm a biologist but can't tell what most birds are unless I have a picture and can do a Google Images search, or look for audio files online for their calls. I need to study the bird website bimini posted yesterday and maybe get a set of binoculars. The doves are much more pleasant companions than the upstairs family that stomps around at random times. Next time I move, it will be into a house in the woods somewhere, or the RV mentioned yesterday, and will only accept wild animals as neighbors . Alternatively, I hope my crazy noise sensitivity will go away with more sober time - it was never this bad before I started drinking heavily. Better now than during hangovers, but unwanted noises still drive me nuts at times, it seems more extreme than most people I know, at least in this city. My anxiety subsided very quickly, but this noise intolerance remains so far.

MLD - many people who had prior COVID indeed experience more side effects with the first shot, but it does not seem absolute. For example, I had COVID last spring (tested positive for antibodies and even donated plasma), but had the same vaccine reaction as most people who never had the infection, with much stronger side effects after the second dose. My antibody levels from the natural infection were quite low though in the last test before I got the shots. We still need to understand a lot more about this virus and the immunity. The great thing here is that we can around without a mask outside now, first time this week since last April. Quite liberating.

Jo - congrats on 5 weeks!
Old 05-22-2021, 06:15 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Aellyce, The Cornell Lab has bird calls, I use that site a lot.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org

AAMOF I (think) I heard a little waxwing again yesterday at the same spot and of course I made up a whole story in my head, "Where's your flock? Did you get lost?" I couldn't find it, and yeah! I keep meaning to take the binoculars, but meh.

Great pictures.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:59 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Afternoon Weekenders. I’m a bit late officially joining for the weekend, but in nonetheless for another sober one.

Nice photos, Aellyce. So many other great posts already, hopelessly too many to comment on.

We are having an egregiously lazy Saturday afternoon. I heard the word for the very first time on a TV show the other night and quickly decided it has to be a keeper. I hope my use is grammatically correct, lol.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:19 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thanks bimini for the bird resources, very cool!
Old 05-22-2021, 07:46 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jo43 View Post
Hi all!! I’m hitting 5 weeks of sobriety tomorrow. I’m still feeling very tired at times, my anxiety is still all over the place at times and I’m eating way too much sugar but I feel bit better which is good!! I have started to try to get fit too. I played badminton twice in the week then today I went swimming at 8am and then took my son and his friend to play badminton at 11! I think I’m gonna feel it later haha. I’m also going swimming tomorrow and may trial the gym lol!

Im loving all the birdie pics! I’m still trying to work out how to add pics! We went to a country life park near Haven in Exmouth a few years ago and they have bird flying displays and you can hold them too. My kids held the peregrine Falcon and I held the bald eagle. Wow the eagle is huge and very heavy. Both birds were absolutely gorgeous. It was breathtaking to be so close to them.

Hope your all having a fantabulous weekend xx
Hi Jo I had trouble adding pics too. Try this web site. That is how I do it now. https://postimages.org
Old 05-22-2021, 07:54 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

My mother lives in St Pete, Florida. We always see a wonderful variety of shore birds when we visit. Here is a pic I took of a Great Blue Heron a few years ago. We also see manatees and dolphins here along Tampa Bay. One time we saw a mommy sea otter with her litter. They were adorable!
Old 05-22-2021, 08:01 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Afternoon Weekenders

Primativo, well done on having an enjoyable night out and not drinking. It's interesting watching how people drink. When I was drinking I took litle notice because I was forever picking up my glass to drink. But it's interesting to watch how slow most people drink. Plus how little interest most people show in the drink they have. The drink to normal drinkers is something they will occasionally while talking. For me talking was something I occasionally did while drinking.

I've been struggling a bit these last few days. I had another drinking dream a few nights ago (the second in a week) and have had a feeling of wanting to have a drink. I keep having to try and distract my thoughts. Thankfully there's no strong cravings, just a few thoughts of how nice it would be to drink. I think it's probably down to the pubs reopening in the last few weeks. I posted a while ago in an earlier Weekenders thread that there are 5 pubs in the street where I do my day to day shopping. If I go for a walk elsewhere I usually pass another few. For most of the past year the doors have been shut. Now when I walk past the pubs the doors are open, the lights are on and I can sense life in them. It's beginning to feel strange that I'm constantly walking past them. Hopefully it's just a passing phase but it's making me feel a bit sad that I can't go in them and bored with what I am doing. Perhaps I need to change my daily routine and look for something new to do.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:02 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Magsie

Aellyce, lovely photos. could the bird be a Dove...it looks very dove-like.

Robbie, I lived very near to a pub and it used to lure me in every night, it was there like a shining beacon constantly. When I stopped drinking (for good) I realised the pub wasn’t the problem, I was. But it took a few months sober before I could go near alcohol at all for fear of not being able to control myself. Finding another thing to occupy your mind may help as another sober tool too.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:37 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done on avoiding temptation Primativo and congratulations on (almost) 5 weeks Jo43.

I can sympathise with you Aellyce about your noisy neighbour, they can make life miserable. My newish neighbour makes a bit of a din at times, it's not terrible but I never used to hear my previous neighbour.

In the park today..

Attached Images
Old 05-22-2021, 11:01 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

All of the fantastic videos and furry friends and birds are so much fun to slowly enjoy on a weekend! Bim, that Cedar Waxwing is magnificent. And all you early recovery folks, getting used to the opportunities of the weekends (and weathering the challenges of getting there), rock on! I'm in that boat too, and Friday nights can really be a challenge for me but am I ever glad, once I end a weekend and feel good, have accomplished things and remembering them. The potential is really beginning to open up for me.

Or was... Unfortunately I have developed either a problem with my tooth roots on the upper right, or a sinus infection, I don't know which. I've never had a sinus anything, so I don't know. Ouch ouch ouch. Dentist appoint, but not until Tuesday morning - !!! However, no need to feel bad, that's what Advil is for (doesn't stop it entirely but helps), and anyway, I keep thinking of this: what if I were still drinking? It's hard to believe that several short months ago I would have drank through this! Oh sure, dehydration and extra body stress is exactly what I need right now - not. It's as if I've popped into some alternate universe and I'm looking back at the old me in the other universe and saying, really ???

Meanwhile, once the Advil kicks in, I'm playing guitar! Something I have reclaimed in sobriety. Hope the weekend is going well for everyone.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:10 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Grateful09, a few months ago I had some tooth pain in the roots of my upper front teeth and thought it required attention or that it may be sinus...The dentist could find nothing but thought I may be clenching my teeth. In fact, I do press my tongue pretty hard against the back of my top teeth, right where it hurts. I've been diligently trying to break that habit, it's all stress related for me.

Because, heck, we've been under zero stress in the past year, right?
Old 05-22-2021, 12:53 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Mags- I try to understand the usage in popular langue for white doves and pigeons - I was thinking of that when I tied to identify the bird I saw. Pigeon or dove? Opted for "pigeon" as I saw the scientific discrimination was not relevant, and it was mostly colloquial. They also sometimes say pigeons are larger than doves in body size, and the bird I photographed was quite big (and fat, to be perceptive). But I really have no idea. Wish I could capture and thank the doves that frequent my apartment!

This is part of now "normal", Manhattan life. I can't say I dislike all that's this city offers...

Old 05-22-2021, 01:50 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

It was a pidgeon dear Alleyce. A white pidgeon. s

And the doves were new to me as well when I moved here....it was so funny to my husband that often in the morning I still say oooo, I hear the owls.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:56 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Afternoon Weekenders

Primativo, well done on having an enjoyable night out and not drinking. It's interesting watching how people drink. When I was drinking I took litle notice because I was forever picking up my glass to drink. But it's interesting to watch how slow most people drink. Plus how little interest most people show in the drink they have. The drink to normal drinkers is something they will occasionally while talking. For me talking was something I occasionally did while drinking.

I've been struggling a bit these last few days. I had another drinking dream a few nights ago (the second in a week) and have had a feeling of wanting to have a drink. I keep having to try and distract my thoughts. Thankfully there's no strong cravings, just a few thoughts of how nice it would be to drink. I think it's probably down to the pubs reopening in the last few weeks. I posted a while ago in an earlier Weekenders thread that there are 5 pubs in the street where I do my day to day shopping. If I go for a walk elsewhere I usually pass another few. For most of the past year the doors have been shut. Now when I walk past the pubs the doors are open, the lights are on and I can sense life in them. It's beginning to feel strange that I'm constantly walking past them. Hopefully it's just a passing phase but it's making me feel a bit sad that I can't go in them and bored with what I am doing. Perhaps I need to change my daily routine and look for something new to do.
I hear you Robbie. s xx

Think about it though.....struggling.....is it?
We are alcoholics who sometimes have thoughts about alcohol.
Sometimes in early recovery those thoughts are pains in the butt....nagging nasty and annoying.

But you are talking about it.
Which sounds to me like it is your AV that is gonna struggle to get you to listen to it.

As Dee has so often said ~ it doesn't have to be pretty, every sober day might not be perfect, but every one we get through is a major win.

As for the dreams....I see them as reminders of who I was, who I do not want to be anymore.
It might be easy to romance the coloured concoction in the glass, but the truth is it is a living nightmare.
With drinking dreams, I always feel like/felt like I was waking up from a horror movie. Just relief.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:03 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Three pics of sober ‘rushes’ yesterday. First one is view from a little ways from our new lot we purchased that we will build a home on, and the last two are views from the lot. So blessed!
Old 05-22-2021, 02:05 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

These are my rushes right now, my view to the mountain, and the hummingbirds feeding right next to me

Old 05-22-2021, 02:23 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Having a lovely weekend. Took Billie for a nice little walk and my brother came over and took me to the store.

So nice that all my weekends are sober ones. I can't imagine living the way I used to live. It wasn't living, it was just existing. Now I'm awake and aware and grateful for my life and my blessings.