Notices

Sobriety-A Much Better Rush - Weekender 21-24 May, 2021

Old 05-22-2021, 02:44 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Lovely pics everyone. Those mountain views must take your breath away in real life..

Robbie, I am sorry you are struggling, I suspect the daytime thoughts are triggering the dreams. I know how unsettling and real they are. If you were to drink at this point, after so much sober success, the regret would be utterly devastating - remember that when the temptation seems beyond resistance. Yes the pubs look welcoming, warm and inviting BUT that is an illusion for us alcoholics. Our truth is falling out of the door at closing time, empty pockets, fake friends and loss of control. And then the hangover, the sickness, anxiety and lack of sleep. No not worth the short term pleasure of the first longed for drink.

It is a winding road to sobriety with many challenges along the way but we are the only ones that can secure our safe arrival at the destination.

Old 05-22-2021, 03:22 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Mags asked earlier about the eagles and I just returned from a walk and a good 20 minutes of viewing a pair of eagles at the nest tree. Fingers crossed they are bonding and thinking about eggs. A third eagle tried to get in on their little relationship and was promptly dispatched - so these two are being territorial. That's a good thing. The male (I think it was the male, I'm guessing) even brought some kind of food treat at one point. I'm hopeful.

Summertime drinking and pub memories are pretty normal. I can't even be a little bit wistful about it anymore, I just can't afford to.

There's nothing worth chasing in the bottom of a bottle.

Old 05-22-2021, 03:35 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

That’s exciting Bim!

What a nice sober rush you describe. 😍
Old 05-22-2021, 03:51 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Little snapshot of one corner of my garden....the flower light on the left is brand new today.

Old 05-22-2021, 04:37 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, Saturday night here and I'm still having the tooth root (or sinus?) pain and I have to admit, wow, was my AV telling me how dumb I was not to drink! But ... here in this space, I found the will to tell the AV what for, and I'm grateful for many insights on this thread, including (but not limited to):
* wow Bim really ... possible jaw issues? That rang a bell. Totally makes sense, given the stress of early recovery. Will update after the dentist ...
* the dream discussion. Don't we get some insight into what comes out in our dreams?
* the wonderful photos - oh my goodness, from Manhattan to Colorado (as a younger-end baby boomer, John Denver's colorado songs always come flooding back - my apologies all)
* the weekend experiences that let me know I am not alone, and
* most recently, wow, venuscat, those blooms took my breath away. So much more to appreciate that zoning out in hazy cloud, which was my former weekend boozy life.

Thanks to everyone - more weekend to come.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:31 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Suze, what a GREAT PIC!

Grateful, glad you knocked down the urges. Addiction lies to us in our own voice. It’s scary!

My evening sober rush was 45 minutes on the elliptical and some 10 pound weights for bicep curls. PS., I am a lady not a guy, hence the lighter weights👩🏼‍🦰🏋🏻‍♀️🏋🏻‍♀️🏋🏻‍♀️
Old 05-22-2021, 10:47 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Grateful, apologies, it looked so much like a dove but yes, they are so much smaller than pigeons. I’ve not seen a pure white pigeon before.

Love the blue heron CBS, so elegant.

Alleyce, great view of your city. It’s lovely to see the green among the backdrop of skyscrapers.

Free, your plot has wonderful views, in the middle of nowhere, I’d love that space. Looks fantastic.

Suze, gorgeous flowers and lights ❤️

Bim, awww, so pleased the eagles are nesting. You gotta feel for the other fella. Hope he gets his own partner, unless he’s just a ‘helpful’ family member.

The sun’s come out. I hope it stays for a while. Our tomatoes in the greenhouse are slow this year. Hopefully plenty of time yet.

Have a good sober day, and if the av calls, get your sober tools to the fore. Whether it’s SR, playing the tape forward, speaking to someone, going for a walk or workout, or all of them...it does pass. xxxx
Old 05-23-2021, 01:20 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Morning all!

It's another lazy Sunday morning, just the way I like it. Sober and grateful.

I struggled to get out of bed this morning. I'm not a great sleeper, usually wake up at least a couple of times during the night and am usually wide awake by about 6am. This morning I woke up at 6.30am after having slept all night long. I then fell back to sleep and woke up at 8am. I then dozed off again... at 8.30 I thought I'd better get up as I could feel myself falling back to sleep again. I'm still a bit tired but hopefully some breakfast and a walk will wake me up.

There were some great pictures posted yesterday so thanks to Aellyce, CBS, sao, Free and venuscat for helping brightening up my day. I love to see pictures, especially of birds and nature plus I love pictures of city skylines and open spaces too.

Have a good Sunday everyone!
Old 05-23-2021, 02:08 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Lovely photos last few pages folks
Old 05-23-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

This pic taken at my local park is a few years old but fits in nicely with the bird theme.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:37 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Canada geese goslings. No offense, but, ugh.

I sent a short video to an ex neighbor yesterday of my back yard with 26 baby geese...and their parents...and their poop. I made the mistake of cutting through the back yard on the way home from a walk. Yeah, that was 15 minutes spent cleaning my shoes that I could have done without.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

All birds poop!
Old 05-23-2021, 06:42 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Not that much! Big birds X lots of them = big poop in large quantities.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:44 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Too funny Kaily....

Where I lived in Melbourne OZ there was often purple and green bird droppings. I never managed to find out which birds did this.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:54 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

How about a bird the poops sunscreen.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:55 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Kaily, I think these geese have poop that's comparable to Daisy's size - or bigger. Now imagine that you live on a river with hundreds of geese (and ducks!) and their goslings, and you have a very large green yard with no fencing...day after day of this. Oh, and the neighbors who throw bread to them.

Old 05-23-2021, 07:07 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I mean't no offence. I just posted what I thought was a cute picture. Sorry it reminded you of copious amounts of poop.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:18 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Kaily, I'm not offended.

It is a good picture. I'm Triggered!
Old 05-23-2021, 07:26 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I think you are developing a Canada Geese phobia!

Therapy is on the cards, you need to see the quack ...
Old 05-23-2021, 07:27 AM
  # 100 (permalink)