Notices

Sobriety-A Much Better Rush - Weekender 21-24 May, 2021

Old 05-20-2021, 09:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi All! Wow, I can't tell you how good it is to see all the familiar names along with those who have made the decision to make life better. It's been two years since I've been here. May 9th marked 5 years sober for me and I am also 3yrs 7 mos away from cigarettes. This can be done!!!!! I never understood how I could possibly not drink and still enjoy life. Then to understand that it's the addiction telling you that life is going to suck. It does that to keep you in it's clutches. The things I find joy in now amaze me. That I can find true happiness in simplicity was something completely beyond comprehension. But.....I am there.

Now, before I make it look like life is just absolutely perfect and there are (I learned this expression here) bluebirds flying out my butt on the contrary. Life can certainly throw tough things my way. The difference is that I know that running to a bottle or can only delays me from finding my way back to the proverbial bluebird status. So, I power force through whatever it is I need to do to make it back to the plane I choose to be on.

I don't spend a lot of time online anymore and you know how life is. I keep saying I'm going to get back here as this place was and is monumental to how I was able to achieve and succeed in this journey. I found that the quickest way out of my own head was to help others and this forum gave me the place to do that.

Dee, my heart warmed to see your name. You have always been one of my greatest sobriety anchors. I'd post a dancing banana but I need to figure out the board again so this guy will have to do for now

Good to be here and looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Lisa

Old 05-20-2021, 09:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Great to see you LadyBlue!
I also have learned to find joy in simplicity. It's amazing how small things can please me now. It's a nice way to live! Of course, life is life and bad stuff happens, but I get back to equilibrium much faster now because I face things without booze.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya LadyBlue, good to see you from me too. Congratulations on 5 + years and nearly 4 off cigarettes. I agree, it can be done.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Saou, that would be a great superbowl halftime piece for Brittish Airways. Glad the issue with the doc is straight.

" Bluebirds flying out of my butt", I'm going to remember that wonderful expression.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

(((((((((((((Marty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)))))))))))))
Old 05-20-2021, 10:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey, sisterBlue.

Congrats on that sober/smoke-free time.

"bluebirds flying out my butt," sounds rather Gilmer-ish too.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

My heart keeps increasing in size! All my peeps! It's so true isn't it? The people we walk the path of recovery with remain forever with us. No one understands our plight and can help us work through things like we do with each other. We get it. Plain and simple. Mags! Bimini! Saou, Marty! I feel like I just entered the homecoming tent. I needed to come here. These are the things I need to do to remain vigilant. I'll never forget how I originally came here 05/27/2013 (hence the LadyBlue0527). Made it days shy of 18 months and headed back out to do some more research. Spent about 18 months out there until the inevitable happened and it was bad. My new date back was 05/09/2016 but I decided to keep the 0527. I remember telling Dee I would take back every sip of alcohol I took and give back every moment of the good time I thought I was having if I could just go back to that stupid first night I let that beer touch my lips. The grinding wheel was re electrified and there was nowhere to go but down from there.

Good go be back and even better to see you all. My heart is full!
Old 05-20-2021, 01:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
It's Eurovision, a study in the bizarre. I'll kick things off with the UK's entry from 2007 by Scooch called Flying the Flag which has gained a kind of cult following for the awfulness its three and a bit minutes of unremitting camp innuendo.
I liked the Irish one with the two priests singing about a horse.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags and thanks to Gilmer too. A wonderful opening post.

I'm IN for a sober weekend. No Eurovision for me though. Well, maybe I'll watch some of it... there was a time when I would watch Eurovision from start to finish though we are talking back in the 70s and 80s. Back to when the UK actually stood a chance of winning...
Old 05-20-2021, 01:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I miss Kathy too. I'm sure she's in heaven petting my sweet old man cause I asked her if she'd do that for me when she got there and she said she would.

Love the diving dog.

My Franny cat is in the den visiting me and Billie. She has forgiven Billie for chasing her and they are now good friends.

I'm in for another sober weekend. I don't miss the 'rush' from drinking, on the contrary, I love the slow-moving peaceful life I have now.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I’m in! x
Old 05-20-2021, 03:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

hi everyone

Thanks Mags and Kathy for a great post ❤️ you too Marty and Lisa, your posts give me hope of finding something to fill the gap. And I’ll be aiming for bluebirds flying out of my butt

Kaily those boots look fantastic, thanks. I had a brilliant pair from Kathmandu that I wore for years (years ago) but they eventually wore out. I now have a cheapie pair but need to get a decent pair now that I’m getting back into bush walking again. I will look for some of those berghause ones. Now that I’m not wasting money on booze, I will treat myself to a good pair of hiking boots

Andy those kitty’s ears! So gorgeous.

(((PJ))) hugs to you

Sao I’m glad you got it sorted out at the doctor’s surgery.

Didn’t ABBA come out of Eurovision? I am going to admit it….. yes I was a huge ABBA fan as a kid/young teen

I’m definitely in for a sober weekend. Hiking. I will try and get some nice mountain and wildlife photos if I can.

Have a great sober weekend everyone x
Old 05-20-2021, 03:49 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

^
Yes, Abba won Eurovision in 1974 which was the band's big breakthrough.

This is their Eurovision performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FsVeMz1F5c

I think 1974 was probably the first year that I watched the programme. The UK's entry that year was by Olivia Newton-John with a poor effort called 'Long Live Love'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZzC_YFjy_4

Olivia hated the song. Against Abba it didn't stand a chance of winning.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hello weekenders!! I'm in for a sober weekend, when it gets here (still around 26 hours away on my corner of the big ball). Wow, I really appreciated those opening thoughts. I often think that I walk on a path created by the hard work, reflections and learning of those who have contributed to this community in the past and present.

OK, last weekend it was birds and this weekend I can see that dogs and cats are making the appearance. I don't know if you can tell, but I'm a cat person myself.

In honor of the opening post, I intend to spend at least some time this weekend reclaiming something that brought me joy, and that I lost during the boozy days. Just thinking about this makes me thankful that there is so much more than waiting for so-called "happy" hour! See you around in the weekend.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Hi All! Wow, I can't tell you how good it is to see all the familiar names along with those who have made the decision to make life better. It's been two years since I've been here. May 9th marked 5 years sober for me and I am also 3yrs 7 mos away from cigarettes. This can be done!!!!! I never understood how I could possibly not drink and still enjoy life. Then to understand that it's the addiction telling you that life is going to suck. It does that to keep you in it's clutches. The things I find joy in now amaze me. That I can find true happiness in simplicity was something completely beyond comprehension. But.....I am there.

Now, before I make it look like life is just absolutely perfect and there are (I learned this expression here) bluebirds flying out my butt on the contrary. Life can certainly throw tough things my way. The difference is that I know that running to a bottle or can only delays me from finding my way back to the proverbial bluebird status. So, I power force through whatever it is I need to do to make it back to the plane I choose to be on.

I don't spend a lot of time online anymore and you know how life is. I keep saying I'm going to get back here as this place was and is monumental to how I was able to achieve and succeed in this journey. I found that the quickest way out of my own head was to help others and this forum gave me the place to do that.

Dee, my heart warmed to see your name. You have always been one of my greatest sobriety anchors. I'd post a dancing banana but I need to figure out the board again so this guy will have to do for now

Good to be here and looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Lisa
Great to see you LB - congrats on your sober time and welcome back!

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
That would win every year if I had a vote

​​​​​​​D
Old 05-20-2021, 06:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Congrats LadyBlue!

Thanks Mags for the new thread and for including our friend Gilmer
Old 05-20-2021, 10:59 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, I was so pleased to see your posts LadyBlue and congratulations on 5 years sober, that's brilliant. Time goes so quickly doesn't it?

My second coronations vaccine is today. I just hope they have done all the necessary admin and the vaccination centre has my name on the list.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:08 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
With apologies to those of you who have not seen or heard of Father Ted (a UK/ROI sitcom that finished 20 years ago) here is My Lovely Horse. Maybe Jedward need to do a cover version.

https://youtu.be/Nxf6ECuRcWM

Old 05-21-2021, 03:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Well, it’s been chucking it down outside and windy too. More like Autumn than Spring. So I watched a series on itv catchup, that’s just finished last night. The Innocent series two. Pretty good.

Just watched the horse video. They’re funny those two. Think the horse stole the show though.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:49 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags!

I do miss Gilmer 🥺😢. What a wise, gentle soul.

Lady Blue, what a great signature quote, I was just saying that in my May class.

Hi everyone, PJ, Andyh, Bim, Jo, Dee, so many posted already.

In it for today, tomorrow, always. I can NEVER have just one. I know this with cigs, Lays potato chips (and Ruffles), and the poison 🍷🚱🚱🚱🚱🚱🚱