Notices

Sobriety-A Much Better Rush - Weekender 21-24 May, 2021

Old 05-26-2021, 09:24 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Sending you lots of love and strength Captain! Xx

Short week for me as we have Friday off as well as Monday from work. It’s all still going well and for a change I am not sat here waiting for it to go wrong lol! I got a new pillow yesterday, one of those body length ones for side sleepers and it’s flipping amazing. The one I had before was rubbish but slept so well with the new one.

Hope everyone is doing well x
Sleep - what a blessing !

Am new here, alcoholic and bipolar are listed on my invisible membership card. Am very happy with what I’ve been reading.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:48 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Welcome anaiddes!

Thank you sincerely everyone, for your tooth well-wishes. Turns out I have an abscess in one of my molars. And CBS, yes at least in my case, I had swollen glands (I didn't realize it, but as part of his exam, the dentist found them). Inflamed back of my throat too. Dentist said that can be expected when something in your teeth system is annoyed. I felt pretty silly about not having gone in for 18 months, but yet not silly, given the pandemic was the reason. Well, now I'm on antibiotics (yuk) while I wait to go in for the root canal (double yuk) and crown. Good news is that the rest of my teeth were pronounced to be in good shape. AND, there's a fix for the problem and anyway, my teeth can look forward to increased health and good care in sobriety!

Speaking of sobriety, congrats on 4 months Robbie! And 38 days Jo!
Captain, I am so happy to hear the news of you and your mom! Keeping you in my thoughts.
And Mags, the flowers! Just what I needed to see as I wait for relief from the aching jaw.
MLD, I know everyone might not feel this way, but a weekend without access to cellphone or any other electronic communications sounds like paradise to me at this point.

Keep on, everybody!

Old 05-26-2021, 10:03 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you enaiddes! To begin with every day is hard and the weekends come with additional temptations, this is where we share our experiences. The upside is that for me and I think others, the weekend is also the time you get the biggest payoff from not drinking. You can do it!

Congratulations on 38 days Jo!

Robbie I am going to visit a defence contractor so I will be going in to the power station though probably not the radar site itself. We are not making anything very exciting or secretive unfortunately, hopefully they will be asking to make some pantographs - things that carry power lines that can move the lines as well and some little anodised gantry cranes for indoor use.

edit. Well done on your dental visit Grateful, at least there is light at the end if the tunnel and it is nothing serious.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:43 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Weekenders thread, and to SR, enaiddes.

Grateful, good to hear that all will be well in the end with your tooth.

sao, is it a one day visit? It's quite a return journey, you'll be going out towards Scarborough and the North Sea. Hope the weather is fine!
Old 05-26-2021, 11:47 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

CBS, they are good with those procedures now and I'm sure it will go fine.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:48 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

CBS, they are good with those procedures now and I'm sure it will go fine.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:49 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Hello weekender friends,

Just stopping by for my weekly check in after another sober weekend, but what a weekend it's been.

The UK has been doing well on its path out of lockdown and gatherings of up to 30 outside are now permitted. The family organised a bit of a party for a relative and I was delighted to be invited.

I set off up country by train on Friday evening. The refreshments hosts walked through the carriages with their trollies, so far so normal, but then came back and were actually taking ad-hock orders for drinks, fetching alcohol on demand for the passengers. I've never experienced that before... Potential AV hit number 1. I alighted in a town where I often used to drink. Potential AV hit number 2.

The morning of the party went well (we had a break in the weather) but shortly after lunch both alcoholic and non-alcoholic fizz was served for a toast. I went NA of course and it was disgusting. Like the cheapest champagne, it tasted of bitter yeast, and might well have contained traces of alcohol. I poured it away. Potential AV Hit number 3.

The party went well and I returned afterwards to my lodgings reflecting on the day. What once would have been a struggle, debating booze or no booze was actually very easy. I am resolute in my sobriety to the extent that it is almost a non-issue when faced with such situations which is hugely reassuring.

Well done to all those counting up the days. Keep going. Thoughts to those battling trials and tribulations. Good luck Sao with your visit and Kaily, no I've not had to move house yet - things are stable for now! Warm wishes to all as always. Forwards.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:47 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 4 months Robbie - and congrats on negotiating all that Forwards

D
Old 05-26-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Congratulations Robbie on 4 months! And Jo on 38 days! And everyone for whatever sober day you’re on

Marty that cabin looks beautiful and peaceful. I love going out camping in the bush where there’s no phone/internet. We often go away for the weekend. Both our swag and our rooftop tent are comfy (we can use either one easily) and we have a battery operated fridge and gas cooker set up, along with solar water bags for hot showers, fold up tables and chairs so it’s really glamping

Captain, I hope you and your Mum make a speedy recovery ❤️

Grateful, I hope the tooth situation is resolved quickly! Ouch
Old 05-26-2021, 01:58 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

A little late on the woodpecker picture, I know. Was sorting through pictures yesterday showing them to mom and came across this picture of a piliated.

Forwards, congrats on getting through the party unscathed. I was very anxious about those situations as well, but found the worst AV struggles to come following tense situations with family members.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:05 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Is that a woodpecker Cityboy? I have never seen one before
Old 05-26-2021, 02:15 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

I accidentally hit "submit" before I added the description. It's a piliated, which is about the size of a crow, and is the largest of our woodpeckers in Florida. The ivory billed, which I don't know that I've ever seen, looked very similar by description and was larger but is unfortunately considered to be extinct. Not a great picture but it's all I got, and I felt left out on the woodpecker bit.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:34 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done on successfully negotiating that party Forwards and the journey.

Handsome woodpecker Cityboy, I hope the tree is big enough for a brood.

Robbie, it is quite a trek there and back, I might stay up there the night. I have avoided hotel stays since I quit to minimise the drinking risk but there is no need after nearly six and a half years.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:20 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Wecome, enaiddes.

Congratulations Robbie, you are well on your way.

Forwards I am pleased things are more secure now, did you get the dog?
Well done on navigating all those AV attacks!

Hope you got the plants you wanted Mags.

Nice pic Cityboy.

Hope your feeling a bit better today, Grateful. The antibiotics usually kick in quickly.

These are not my images but were on my neighbourhood social pages. A local nest and a new arrival.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:02 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Magsie

CityBoy the pillaged woodpecker looks much taller/longer than the ones I’ve seen. Great pic of him.

Kaily Great pics, Sooo cute. I didn’t get any plants, they were too expensive in the garden centre, I’m sure I can shop around for a better price. I did see some online.

At the minute we have a family of starlings eating me out of house and home.
The young ones are so hungry and fight over the suet fat balls and squares. And Squawk, you would hear them in London. In fact Bim may hear them from her home. Fortunately they don’t last long before they clear off to sleep or whatever starlings do. Gives the little finches and sparrows a chance to grab some food.

Well the sun was out earlier but gone in hiding now. Forecast is good for bank holiday weekend though.

See you soon with the new thread. xxxx
Old 05-26-2021, 11:24 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Mags, the supermarkets are doing good deals on plants. Thing is you need to be there at the right time, I think Lidl gets theirs delivered on a Thursday (today).

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/dis...t-this-week/p1

Starlings are eating me out of house and home too. Suet pellets seem to be the favourite!
Old 05-26-2021, 11:39 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Kaily, I’ll try them. I’ve seen plants outside home bargains but never looked properly.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:50 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ay-2021-a.html (Is it okay to have a drink now?...After all this time sober!...Weekenders 28 - 31 May 2021)