Notices

Progressively getting worse

Old 07-22-2021, 04:28 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I know alcohol dictated my life everyday also.

It is a great feeling knowing I am now free from prison. 1 drink and my parole will be revoked.

You too can do it.
Just don't drink today. Wake up and repeat.

Of course there is more to it but without that step we cannot move forward to freedom.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:56 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
I know alcohol dictated my life everyday also.

It is a great feeling knowing I am now free from prison. 1 drink and my parole will be revoked.

You too can do it.
Just don't drink today. Wake up and repeat.

Of course there is more to it but without that step we cannot move forward to freedom.
Yeah, totally agree the last two years of my life have been a mess. This has to happen, it needs to happen.

I've got to do it, I can't keep talking about doing and not do it. That makes me pathetic, it's not even a pleasure anymore at that stage. The stage where your waking and think why did I do it again but by the evening your justifying it and off you go again.

Breaking the cycle is the key, once I've broken the cycle I think I will look back at this period of my life and think what were you doing!
Old 07-22-2021, 05:16 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

In the beginning I had to change a lot. Plan to do something different when beer 30 comes along.
Could not hang out in my workshop for a few months. I used to stay out there and goof off and get wasted.
Big trigger at 1st. Now I can go out there and not think about drinking. It has a new meaning now. It is where work gets done.

Learning about the AV has helped me tremendously.
Before I thought those thoughts meant something.
Now I know it is just the addiction begging me back. Well I ain't coming back.

Change your routine. Do stuff you haven't done in years because you were focused on drinking instead.
Read, post, whatever but stick around here. This place was a huge help getting me sober.

AV telling you to drink? Post up. We will help you see through its lies.

You can do it

I was a daily drinker for 30 years. Not anymore.
As they say, if I can do it anyone can.

One last thing, in the beginning it wasn't easy. Now it has gotten much easier.
It was So Worth the struggle in the beginning.
I wish I had this life for the past 30 years but I cannot dwell on that. I am just grateful I have it now.

You can too
Old 07-22-2021, 02:48 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

oops, I skipped to the end of this thread in hopes of seeing how good you were doing a few months later. Breaking the habit /cycle is not that hard once you decide to do it. It can just take a while to decide to finally do it. I knew I needed to quit drinking for about 2 decades and told myself daily that I had to quit. Finally one day I did. But alot of time and money and hurt health, etc... inbetween. Glad I'm done with that mess. All the best to you. Why not make today the last day you drink. No day is a good day and it has to happen sometime?
Old 07-22-2021, 03:34 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

If I can do it KingEric you can too...You just have to start making those 'I want to be sober' changes man.

D
Old 07-22-2021, 07:06 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I think you know what the right advice is . It’s in your post.

You’re progressively getting worse because alcoholism is progressive. It’s textbook.

You’re my age, you’re in good shape, your relationship is intact. Go get sober, man — the sky is the limit. Alcohol steals your energy, it handicaps you, prevents you from being the best version of yourself. Set aside any shame, too… you’ll be equipped to appreciate sober living more than anyone.

The good news? Not too late. Give up the bottle and go be that person you know you can be.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:34 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Samantha

Welcome! Unfortunately you are right and alcohol is progressive 😞 I think we would all recommend a program or recovery plan. Maybe detox will also be needed. Best talk to GP.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:25 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

You’re not pathetic and beating yourself doesn’t help. You have a problem. BUT, you don’t seem to be taking it seriously. You don’t appear to be taking any contrary action. If nothing changes, nothing changes. Few and far between are the people who can quit using willpower alone. And I would tip my cap to you if you could, but the evidence doesn’t support that. If you want to get sober and build a better life, a better relationship and future then you’d better get serious and get into action. And that probably starts by reaching out for help. Putting sobriety first in your life. Taking steps to solve this problem that will only get worse.

I stay sober with the help of AA, this forum, medicine, exercise and a relationship with God. Many people use all or none of these methods. But few can just quit because they really really want to. It’s simply not enough.