Notices

Weekenders April 1-7. I won't drink this weekend.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:39 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

fishkiller, Offense taken! Welcome to our little corner.

Peeps. Marshmallow and so much more. It's that fine coating of colored sugar and eating the heads that is so satisfying. It just occurred to me I *could* float them in coffee...I must get to the store today..I won't stop until I find some.

CBS62, welcome to Weekenders. Egg hunts are so fun.

Cityboy, the dentist was doing her exam and said to the hygienist, "Number 14, definitely."

I immediately piped up with, "Not a crown!!!?" and she assured me that it needed a filling. Whew. $160 is better than $2000 for sure. I don't mind getting the work done, it's the money when I have not the best insurance. I need to fix that situation with the insurance.

Adorable bunny, Ms K.

Magsy, thinking of you. I hope the pain and sadness is becoming bearable for Mr Mags.

It's Good Friday. Such a momentous weekend for Christians. I know not everyone is Christian or even believes in God but this is the Day upon which we reflect on Christ's sacrifice for us. It's the day the veil was torn. Gives me goosebumps just typing that.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:43 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

In the west UK we’ve got lovely sunshine today so must be blessed! I’ll be sticking round home this weekend as it’s first weekend with more relaxed lockdown rules and also Easter weekend so it’s going to be crazy out there. I’d rather stay away from the crowds.

Hope everyone is keeping well x
Old 04-02-2021, 03:55 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Yeah, crowds still sound a bit of a bad idea.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:18 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Bim and I'm in too.
Salutations weekenders

It's been my go to thread for a while now too.

I bought an old olive tree and so i am building a little wall around it in red brick so as to have something nice in the yard. Thats my DIY project for this weekend.
And oh yes from sat night onwards we are in a new lockdown, go figure...

later folks,
Vinny
Old 04-02-2021, 06:02 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

No IoveIy EngIish peopIe, peeps are not anything Iike the marshmaIIows you are used to.

Hi Vinny and everyone s ❤️
Old 04-02-2021, 07:06 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I will have to join you folks. My city is back into a full lockdown and stay-at-home order due to a 3rd wave of coronavirus. I live alone and boredom is a huge trigger for me. I'd be lying if I said I haven't had urges to drink.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:17 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Welcome, Wastinglife - there are quite a few singles in this thread...not a reason to drink. Neither is the virus or lockdowns. I've made it past all those things for a year now.

What's your plan for today? I have a second follow-up dentist appointment in about an hour then I'm going to walk to the drug store and pick up a couple things..that should take up half the day. Then I'll fix dinner and do the dishes - another couple hours. Then it''ll be time to watch TV for a couple hours. Easy day, no stress (other than the dentist's drill )

None of this day happens if I'm drinking. The thought of drinking actually turns my stomach, to be honest. So stressful and dangerous and just. No.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:25 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Peeps are one of those polarizing foods (Is food a proper description for them? Maybe not). Either love them or hate them. I like a few of them, one time a year. Too many and my teeth hurt.

Speaking of teeth, glad you only need fillings, Bim. I always figure I need root canals and crowns and all of it when I go to the dentist. But I never do. Not even fillings. I have one tooth that bothers me, but the dentist looks at it every time and says it's fine, I just have receding gums in that area and so there's sensitivity there. I go every 6 months like clockwork. I don't want to go through what other members of the family have endured (major dental work, tooth loss, dentures, etc). So far only 2 crowns because of cracked teeth that already had fillings, no root canals, a small handful of fillings from early teen years. Lucky me.

It's shaping up to be a very nice weekend here, weather wise. It's a little too early to clean the flower beds (need to let the over-wintering insects stay put a little longer) but I'm itching to get outside and do things. So I'll be out hiking. A lunch outside at a patio, finally. And tiling the shower. That's my sober plan for the weekend. Having a weekend of freedom in front of me, free from drinking and hangovers, never gets old and continues to feel magical, even after 6 years and 4 months. Highly recommended.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:26 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi WL!

ok. Here goes a try

Old 04-02-2021, 07:27 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Ahhhhh. It worked! The evening sun highlighting a mountain as we were driving home from a nearby town last night. Thought you’d like. 🥰

Old 04-02-2021, 07:31 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi MLD!

nothing gives those midwesterners more energy than a few days above 50 degrees in a row. Served 25 years of my life living just south of Kenosha in Illinois. LOVE to garden!

ML, what about planting seeds for a potted garden?

that’s a great stress reliever and sober activity for me
Old 04-02-2021, 07:33 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

It looks good, Free! Beautiful scenery.
  # 53 (permalink)  

# 54 (permalink)  

Peeps have a coating of coloured sugar on them? Urg, sounds awful so I'll have to pass on them.

I had fish and chips for lunch. I went to the local fish and chip shop (known as the chippie to us in the UK) and there was a massive queue of people outside the shop. Only three people are allowed in at any one time and I counted about 20 people queuing to get into the shop. It took 25 minutes to get served. It's normally a bit busy on a Friday but I think the extra long queue is simply down to today being Good Friday and it being a tradition to have fish on a Good Friday. Though I don't think chips and mushy peas (plus salt and vinegar) were ever meant to be part of that tradition!
Old 04-02-2021, 07:35 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

BB- I think calling around to all the stores to procure peeps is an idea. I remember one time I called everywhere imaginable to find the bulk Brachs candy. Remember how a bag could be filled or a person could pay 5 cents for one candy? I have a memory of stealing one of those candies when I was a kid. I'm still in remorse.......
Old 04-02-2021, 07:36 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Just some pics to inspire weekenders to get outside if you can, wherever you are, or if you can’t, to look at some pics as hope to do when pandemic lets up. We all want to enjoy it sober, right?
  # 57 (permalink)  

Great pictures and great scenery Free.
  # 58 (permalink)  

Peeps are POISON 🤮🤢🤮🤢🤮🤢
  # 59 (permalink)  

"Serving" sounds like the right descriptor for living in that area, Free. I'm originally a Chicagoan. Lived there a few different times in my life. And I lived in Milwaukee for a while and drove through that area frequently to go to Chicago for weekends with friends.
  # 60 (permalink)  

No worries about me posting Music Vids yesterday, Bim. THEE largest Cellular Carrier we're with went down for ~10 Hours throughout Colorado. No Phone. No blazing speed 5G Wireless InterWebz. Oh the Humanity! Tnx for this fine Topic; despite that lil Techno April Fools Day joke yesterday. Once I got to suspecting it was a widespread Outage, I went out to the RV Trailer and put up my Long Distance Antenna and Amp. I musta scanned a dozen disabled Cell Towers out there, and confirmed we were gonna be in Luddite Land for a while.

My own POV is that Commitment - irrespective of Sober Tactics - is critical. It's an internal game for me, so I used helpful Techniques that propped up that resolute decision. When the ole AV struck, I took a cue from MesaPup seen below: stick your Head under some Furniture, and take a Nap. In the sunny, 80 F [26 C] temps of today, we're gonna take him with us while we hit the local City for Errands, and some kinda Take Away Lunch. Mebbe a stop at the Dog Park.

Guitar Wizard Tommy Bolin was a Boulder Colorado fixture, and ODed in Miami at age 25 after opening a Show for Jeff Beck. One of us, to be sure, who didn't get the help he needed soon enough. One of many legacies I recall occasionally to strip the fake gloss off Addiction to avoid it. Now and forever.

'The Grind' ~ Tommy Bolin

Nice to see ya, Free2bme888, and that fab Pic of The Rocky Mountains. From one Coloradoan to another: 'How's your Aspen'? -