Notices

Weekenders April 1-7. I won't drink this weekend.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekenders April 1-7. I won't drink this weekend.

Mags is taking a day off today and I'm starting the new thread. It's been my home base for a few years now and I'm forever grateful to the people who post about their struggles and victories in this thread. Thank you.

This thread runs for the next week and we're hoping anyone who is struggling with an addiction joins us in this simple pledge along with us. "I will not."

Weekends can be hard for newly sober people and that's how this thread got its start years ago, to be a safe place to talk about it.

"She remembered who she was and the game changed."
― Lalah Delia

Strength comes with the commitment. Things in life just seem to align when I'm on my own right path. Life is a whole lot easier and more peaceful on the sober side!

It started with me saying, "I quit drinking," and then every step has to keep me safely on that path. Every decision going forward is about keeping that promise to myself.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Shotgun! Thanks a million Bim for the new thread xx
Old 04-01-2021, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Bim

stay safe & stay on the path this (long) weekend everyone

Old 04-01-2021, 06:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in! Thanks, Bim.

It's simple, but not easy. I do not drink. Period. When I drew that line in the sand on December 4, 2014, and promised I'd never cross it, I felt so free. of course I had to work really hard for a while to build up a sober toolbox and clear away the wreckage I had caused, but I have never regretted the decision. Not for a second. Drinking would do nothing for me at this point but reignite chaos. I really like my life now and I know it would not be like this if I were still drinking. Heck, I might be dead by now. So no, I will not drink this weekend.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Imma beat MesaMan to this video: (thanks for the cat video, andyh!)

Stevie Ray. One of us, from his masterful CD "In Step" about his recovery from addiction:

Gone way too soon!!

"Tightrope"

Old 04-01-2021, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
It started with me saying, "I quit drinking," and then every step has to keep me safely on that path. Every decision going forward is about keeping that promise to myself.
Perfect, Bim. Thank you for the whole opening post, too.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my experience, a decision to stay sober is necessary but not sufficient for at least some types of alcoholics. In order to be effective, the decision must be accompanied by action. In my case the relevant actions include meetings/fellowship, prayer, step-work, sponsorship, and service-work. The Big Book excerpt below may be relevant. I'm not suggesting a newcomer start a 4th Step their first weekend sober. My own step-work began with reading the first 164 pages of the Big Book, in addition to daily prayer, a daily A.A. meeting, and a daily phone call to my sponsor. The point is that for at least some types of alcoholics the plan must include more than sitting at home gritting one's teeth and chanting "I will not drink" over and over (though that may be part of it).

The tragic truth is that if the man be a real alcoholic .... He has lost control. At a certain point in the drinking of every alcoholic, he passes into a state where the most powerful desire to stop drinking is of absolutely no avail.... Though our [Third Step] decision was a vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us. Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions. Therefore, we started upon a personal inventory. This was Step Four.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great opening, BB! Thank you for your work and for the topic of commitment.

It is true that strength does come with commitment. I am so blessed with this community to help me through the initial phases of getting sober again. Almost 6 months now and I am finally experiencing a joy and peace in my life that has never really been present. The commitment to be sober, no matter what, has allowed me to reset, recharge and see myself in a whole new light. A loving light. A happier light. It was real tough going in the beginning. I cant imagine being on that hamster wheel of addiction again. The only way I will stay free of it is with commitment to the daily work that I put in for my sobriety. Posting here, exercise, gratitude, using tools, listening to others, keeping a solid schedule, recognizing my anxieties and using tools to keep the anxiety at bay.... I have a life that is based in recovery from many things now. Thank you, SR!
Old 04-01-2021, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Just passing by, great opening post Bim.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Novips, I definitely had to take a lot of action to make sure my decision to quit was backed up by a whole lot of support from others along with the work on my part. I went to outpatient treatment, went to a ton of AA meetings, came here multiple times a day, told my friends and family what I was doing (98% support there), read a ton of books, and just generally threw myself into active recovery. At the heart of it was surrender - I had to finally admit that I was (am) truly powerless over alcohol. I had to quit fooling myself that I could be in charge when it came to drinking. And I had to promise with every fiber of my being I'd never pick up another drink. The actions I took beginning the very next day were my way of making darn sure I was DOING everything in my power to support that decision.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great description Mizz, "hamster wheel of addiction". Six months was the really big milestone mark to me, perhaps in part because of a scene in a movie. It seemed so unfathomable in the beginning though. Six months with no alcohol.

I have not had very many drinking dreams, but had another recently. I remember from the dream, weighing the possibility of getting drunk with a buddy and going right back to sober life. Of course in conscious thought, there is no up side of getting drunk, with or without a buddy. I'm not going to try it!
Old 04-01-2021, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In!

Thanks for opening this weeks thread biminiblue, you picked a good subject too. If you are an alcoholic like me, stopping drinking was not just the right path it was only path. I had long since reached the stage where there was no moderation or sensible drinking for me, just ruined health and relationships. The choice was always an easy one but carrying it through was not easy. I had many failures but in the end the fear of dying a drunk was greater than the ache of craving for booze. The good thing is that it does get easier, those horrible cravings do let go after a couple of months.

I was listening to a local radio bulletin about a drunk man who lost the key to his flat (apartment) and fell from a drainpipe trying to reach his balconey. That is like playing an April Fool on yourself (though it happened yesterday)

Getting sober at Easter would be fitting, it is an echo of coming back to life.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 04-01-2021, 11:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's a shame about the guy falling. When I was young and thought that Daytona at spring break was fun, there were always college aged kids falling from hotel balconies, alcohol being a factor.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Bim

I'm IN this weekend! I so much associate the long Easter weekend with drinking that I am looking forward to having a sober weekend this particular weekend. In the past it would have been 5 solid days of drinking with the absolute certainty that on the Tuesday I would be quite ill. This weekend I won't be drinking and however I feel on Tuesday I know it won't be down to the effects of alcohol.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Here's a nice surprise!
Bim opening the Weekenders thread!!!
Thanks so much for the nice opening post.

I cannot emphasize enough how true your statement is :
"Life is a whole lot easier and more peaceful on the sober side!"
I was such a mess on every weekend, getting close to death on almost every Friday night.
Choosing to be sober was a no brainer after just a few weeks clean.

Have a good day Weekenders
Old 04-01-2021, 11:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Easter. There may or may not be Peeps in my near future. I'm not a big chocolate fan.

I have a dentist appointment in a couple hours. Seems like I could buy some candy once my teeth are cleaned, right?

My childhood dentist gave me a coupon for a free ice cream cone after an appointment. um. Okay! I'm in for ice cream.

Old 04-01-2021, 12:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders novips!
Old 04-01-2021, 12:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Bim

D
Old 04-01-2021, 12:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great Thread BB
Being new in sobriety I just have to hang close to others with more time and experience and just say drinking is no longer an option for me ever ever again.
I am in for the long haul... My drinking days are over!
Old 04-01-2021, 12:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have to go get Easter basket supplies for the 19 yo daughter. Not much candy, more like little dorm room necessities, but the peeps will be staring me right in the eye. I might have to get just one package. I will open them up and let them dry out a few days. I like them stale. I've been good and I've lost 6 pounds in the past 2 months. Surely, a little package of peeps is allowable.