Notices

Welcome to Weekenders 15 - 18 January 2021

Old 01-18-2021, 12:41 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Thanks for the congratulations
This week is training, lots of new things to learn. A little daunting but not overly so, and a very supportive team
Not much time to post though!

I love that song Blue Monday, I remember it from my teen years.

I hope Sao and Kaily come back soon too.
I can’t say too much though because I have gone missing myself several times in the past
I just hope they’re ok ❤️
Have a great week everyone.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:19 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I have also gone missing but kept reading. You will be great in the new job Willow
Old 01-18-2021, 01:21 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Magsie

Willow, sounds like you’re enjoying the challenge of a new job!

Robbie, how times change. Sometimes I used to take the daily takings to the bank for my manager, I just liked to get out and about but I can’t see it’s something that would happen now, considering safety and security. I used to try and memorize words to songs but I’d never have been able to memorize the charts!
Old 01-18-2021, 01:52 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Willow, sounds like you’re enjoying the challenge of a new job!

Robbie, how times change. Sometimes I used to take the daily takings to the bank for my manager, I just liked to get out and about but I can’t see it’s something that would happen now, considering safety and security. I used to try and memorize words to songs but I’d never have been able to memorize the charts!
The solicitors I worked for was also an agent of the old Leeds Permanent Building Society so one of the other jobs I had was to deal with people coming into the office to pay in money or make withdrawals. At the end of the working day either myself or the other office junior (who at 17 was the same age as me) had to take the money to the night safe at the NatWest. I always thought it was a bit dodgy, expecting a 17 year old to take what was often thousands of pounds (and this was in 1981 so would be worth a lot more now) through a busy shopping centre to bank the money. What was worse was there was only one route to take from the solicitors to the bank, there was no way to vary the route so I was always on my guard when banking the money. The training I had regarding safety was if someone demanded I hand over the bags of money and cheques then I should simply to hand them over! It didn't make me feel very secure.

Most of the jobs I've had have involved working outdoors. I was in the Civil Service for many years and most of the jobs I had there involved visiting people at home. When I moved to working full time in the office I started to go down with coughs and colds, something I rarely had when working outside.

As for memorizing charts (or football results or cricket or horse racing results or anything else that involves stats) it largely seems to be a male thing. When I worked in London I knew someone who would study railway timetables. Another friend could tell you who won every FA Cup Final going back to the 19th century while another had a clear recall of cricket scores. I've read that men are more likely to have this type of obsessiveness about lists and statistics in general than are women.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:19 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I've had friends who would sometimes talk for an hour or more about professional sports players, speculating as to who was going to get traded, and to what team, and how well that team would then do. Most people don't care that much, but it made little difference to the person talking.

Agree that it's almost always a guy thing. I've heard that Condoleeza Rice (former Secretary of State) is a complete football (American) fanatic.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:28 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Well, there y'go, talking about power cuts and I had one today - due to gales.
Thankfully I'd shut the automatic garage door before it happened, and it didn't last long, and why does nearly everything interesting or useful require electricity?
Old 01-18-2021, 08:30 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

We did it <3
Old 01-18-2021, 09:43 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice one lifewithart!

Caramel, quick thinking on getting your garage door down, with the gales and power cuts.

Robbie, my dad could recall details from years ago about football games or other sports.
Then again I never got my head round the ‘offside rule’ even with simpler explanation!

The "offside rule" explained for women:

You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have.

The female shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire. Both of you have forgotten your purses. It would be rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.

The shop assistant remains at the till waiting.

Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma. She prepares to throw her purse to you.

If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes!
At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and "whilst it is in flight" you could nip around the other shopper, catch the purse and buy the shoes!

BUT, you must always remember that until the purse has "actually been thrown", it would be plain wrong for you to be in front of the other shopper and you would be OFFSIDE!
Old 01-19-2021, 12:46 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

very good Mags. now do the "leg before wicket" rule.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:28 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

^
Yes, the offside rule is one that trips up many people! I do like your explanation though Mags. Same with the "leg before wicket" rule andy!

It looks like we're in for a very wet day today and indeed next few days. Storm Christoph is on its way bringing with it heavy rain and potential floods.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:55 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Magsie

Robbie, I was sent it, I can’t confess to writing it.

Andy, I’ll have to have a look for that one. It does sound simpler than the offside rule, but that may be my naivety showing.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:29 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Countdown to egg hatch on the Eagle Cam is one to five days.

Gorilla baby-watch has started. Eyes on Momma 24-7 right now. Any time now.

I am beyond excited that they are both imminent!!!!

!!!!

Life goes on for us all.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:02 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks for the links Bim.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:52 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, I just had another look at eagle cam and mommy is fast asleep on her eggs. Aaawww. No news on Nadiri’s new addition yet. 🙏
Old 01-19-2021, 11:24 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

A cold wet start here this morning.

Wheelie bin day, it’s the cardboard and plastic wheelie bin which is easily blown over if it’s windy!

Not much happening here at home, but I’m doing it sober so that’s a good thing. Mr. Mags has been having cabin fever and with the awful weather we’ve not gone for walks as much as we used to. In saying that we went for a walk round Normanby Park yesterday. You can see there are not many people visiting the way the squirrels are more visual.

I know if I’d been younger I would've struggled to be on lockdown. It’s true with age comes a patience I didn’t have.

Hope everyone is ok and shout out if you’re struggling.

It doesn’t seem like it now, but it will come to pass.

See you later. Be safe. xxxx
Old 01-20-2021, 12:29 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Happy Penguin Awareness Day!

do we have any penguins around here?
Old 01-20-2021, 01:39 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

Yes Mags, the weather is awful outside. It rained all day esyterday and is forecast to do the same all day today. Plus it's wheelie bin day here too, and for the same items (cardboard, plastic and paper). Fortunately there's no strong winds blowing - they are forecast for tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:48 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Since the vaccine has been available (about five weeks or so?) in my state I haven't been eligible, they're focusing on health care workers and essential workers - as it should be. That changed yesterday and I have an appointment now in about a month! Fingers crossed that it comes to pass. Seems like a whole lot could go wrong with the way things are going/have gone.

Me? Cynical? Nah.

I'm hopeful for the first time in nearly a year.

I'm aware of penguins. Thank you, Andyh. I could watch that gif all day long.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:00 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Old 01-20-2021, 05:11 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Bimini, I think that people will have to remain focused and keep trying, which it sounds like you are doing, to get ahead of the vaccine game. And to quote a politician, "we must guard against cynicism".