Notices

Welcome to Weekenders 15 - 18 January 2021

Old 01-15-2021, 02:14 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Wow what a positive thread this is turning out to be. One more thing to be grateful for

Thanks Mags for the thread - I'm in! I do try to be grateful but have not actually tried practising gratitude in a regular manner. Maybe that's my next step. I am at least aware these days of when I am becoming ungrateful so that's an improvement in itself. All only possible in sobriety...

Good to see old friends and new here this week. Best wishes you all. Forwards.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:19 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Forwards
Old 01-15-2021, 07:45 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thanks for this timely Topic, Mags.

'Tis with a great deal of Gratitude I hit 7 Years Sober last Sunday. The lil >22 lb., 14 Week-old Monster below ensures intermittent Sleep Deprivation, so I opted out of posting my oblique observations last Weekend. I'm at ~2,560 Days today, but I do that Math mebbe 2x/Year for rare Reflection. Almost always initiated by a Post of someone here. Made me look... Made me look...

Mebbe because Sobriety is now so normalized, it fits like some old Jeans. At least for me, this Effortless Sobriety doesn't lead to sloppiness. Or, thinking I can drink again. There's another State I reached quite some time ago: that of simply not wanting or needing to drink again. Ya can't be seriously tempted by that you simply don't want anymore. There's no avoidance. No push-back. No Moth flying into the Candle to self-incinerate, or expending arduous effort to avoid Alcohol. All that is long gone. *All* this took was a total - and continuing - re-tooling over Years of who and what I am. Dig deep. The *Real You* is down in there somewhere.

Whether objectively true or not, I chalked up much of my insane, continuous consumption to Genetic Predisposition, combined with plenty of Social Modeling. Can't do much about how this Adoptee was wired at Birth. But, like opening a Lacquer Box that contains many smaller Lacquer Boxes, I gently engaged in stripping away the Social BS. That I had to drink to have fun at Dinners, or Weddings. That running a continuous buzz was 'normal'. Normal? No. Familiar? Yes. Periodic glugs throughout the Day from one of several, hidden 1.75 L Vodka 'Handles' to avoid the shakes? Necessary. Everyone here knows the pathetic Fire Drill. So, once you achieve initial clarity a few Months in, just maintaining Sobriety - and Gratitude for it - kinda self-perpetuates. The Universe provides The Path if I just listen up.

Searching, and finding, SR - a few Months after a miserable, naive Cold Turkey Quit - was a total Game Changer for this Introvert. A Life Sustainer, too. I'm still here. Astonishingly, in good Health after 42 Years of increasingly-dopey Drinking. Mebbe another random benefit - or sheer luck - from Scottish/Polish Genetics.

Meanwhile, we got a new Best Friend to raise. Theme Music from one of us...

'I'm Still Standing' ~ Elton John ~ Live

Old 01-15-2021, 08:18 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi Andy been a while since I've hung out with the weekenders, good to see you're still part of them

Mesa, happy belated birthday! And that dog is a total cutie, what's his name? He looks like so much fun (and trouble)!

I totally agree on you with the rest. I don't have quite as much time as you have but I'm grateful that these days when I'm stressed or unhappy having a drink to help with that just doesn't cross my mind anymore. It would actually seem absurd to do that. I have established new and better tools and really don't miss the old crappy ones, they've lost all their charm.
And that last paragraph about the genetics just cracked me up!

Speaking of cracking, I got a big carton box full of nuts from my dad, I already cracked about 2/3 of them but still have a few more hours of nut cracking to do until I'm done. Lockdown times are fun times, aren't they.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:22 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

congrats on seven years MM! always enjoy your musings

as another adoptee, did you know adoptees have waaay higher than average rates of addiction? but like you say, gotta play the hand you're dealt ...
Old 01-15-2021, 08:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Morning, all. Thanks for all of the great posts.

MesaMan, that pup just keeps getting cuter and cuter.

@saoutchik , we miss you.

Let’s do this Weekend soberly.

Lots of love to all.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:55 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Lovely photo of your pup MesaMan, it's almost like the pup is posing!
Old 01-15-2021, 11:25 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Magsie

MesaMan, Great post and congratulations on your 7 years . MesaPup looks so cute with his paws tucked under.

Kev, it’s great adding new tools, I can relate.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:59 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats again on 7 years MesaMan

D
Old 01-15-2021, 01:04 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

congrats MM
Old 01-15-2021, 01:48 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Willow, you are my first and oldest SR buddy, we’ve travelled a similar road over the past few years. I get it, I hear you and will always be here for you when you need me as I know you would be for me. We got some super sober time in the past, there is no reason we can’t do it again. Let’s do it together (again lol) xx
This really means a lot to me Manta
Yes we can do this! Again lol
I’m feeling so much more optimistic today
Old 01-15-2021, 01:56 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Good luck this weekend. If you are about to drink/use, pick up the phone! Seek help!
Old 01-15-2021, 01:57 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Good luck this weekend. If you are about to drink/use, pick up the phone! Seek help!
Old 01-15-2021, 01:59 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

It’s Saturday morning here, and I’m grateful it’s the weekend!
And I’m grateful that I made it through Friday afternoon and night sober, despite an old friend trying desperately to get me to drink with her. I won’t be spending much time there in future!
Instead, I had a cup of tea and then I left and went for a walk down to the river mouth just on sunset.
Wow! It was so beautiful that I just stood in awe and watched the beauty of nature as the sun set on the water. And I actually felt real joy, the first time I have felt that intense feeling of happiness in a very very long time.
I am grateful for that reminder of what true happiness feels like ❤️
Old 01-15-2021, 02:02 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Well done, Willow; too bad your friend isn’t supportive. Glad you took in a splendid 🌅 sunset.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:03 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Well done, Willow; too bad your friend isn’t supportive. Glad you took in a splendid 🌅 sunset.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:36 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

popin in to say hi on a sober friday night
Old 01-15-2021, 06:17 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey WhiskeyBent

D
Old 01-15-2021, 06:49 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

HI! I'm new here. I'm Kate. Was looking for sobriety resources as I am the caretaker for my parents & they are elderly. Due to Covid numbers being so high currently we are staying home & I rarely leave the house. I have really been craving more community in my daily life in addition to my talks with my sponsor and zoom recovery meetings. I'm thankful I found this space on the internet. This thread was super uplifting & I enjoyed reading all the responses. Hope everyone has a healthy, peaceful & sober weekend!
Old 01-15-2021, 06:53 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR & to the thread Kate

D