Welcome to Weekenders 15 - 18 January 2021

Old 01-17-2021, 07:04 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Willow, that's cool about your new job.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:15 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Magsie

Great post Hawkeye. I can relate to your words so much.

Good to see you on Weekenders VoVo. I love you’re taking this pandemic time to heal.

Willow, how great is that! Congratulations on your new job.

Getting sober really can be achieved, as many here are testament to that.
I never thought I could be sober and on hindsight I don’t think I was ready to give up booze on all my failed attempts.
I couldn’t get my head round not drinking forever. It seemed a long stretch ahead.
When I found SR I learnt about the present, the here and now.
I stayed sober in the present , today and after a while the days, months and years sober mounted up.

I never take for granted my sobriety. I know I have an addictive nature and in my heart of hearts I know I will never drink alcohol again, especially after the life it didn’t give me. Life’s much better for me sober.

Love to all, take care. xxxx
Old 01-18-2021, 12:25 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

morning Weekenders. hope everyone made it through the weekend safely.

it wasn't pitch dark when I started work this morning, for the first time this year. roll on some lighter days!

welcome any newcomers to the thread.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:17 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Magsie

Andy, I hope the lighter mornings will be here soon too.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:20 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

andy, I've definitely noticed the mornings are starting to get lighter earlier. I hate the dark mornings and afternoons so it's good that the daylight is getting longer.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:05 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

tune for the day:

Old 01-18-2021, 02:53 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

^
Classic track. I bought the 12" single back in 1983. Despite being the biggest selling 12" single in the UK the record company lost money on every copy sold due to the packaging which cost the label a fortune. Later copies had a much cheaper paper sleeve but most copies sold were in 1983 with the cardboard sleeve.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:47 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I was greatly consoled by hearing Dolly Parton say, "I'm usually up for the day at 3 AM." That seems to be my new normal. Pandemic, healthy sobriety, good or bad or whatever it is - I'm on a bedtime of 7-8PM, up at 3AM schedule. So it's dark for hours after I get up.

I hope Sao reconsiders his decision to stop posting. It really isn't Weekenders without you, buddy. Same with you Kaily. Come baaaaack.

Monday! Another non-hungover week ahead.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:49 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Also I've ended up having a New Order listening session! It makes me feel old when I realise it will be 40 years ago in March since they had their first hit single. It also makes me feel old when I realise it's 40 years ago this week since this wonderful song climbed into the top 20 on it's way to number 2

Ultravox - Vienna

Old 01-18-2021, 03:51 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I was greatly consoled by hearing Dolly Parton say, "I'm usually up for the day at 3 AM." That seems to be my new normal. Pandemic, healthy sobriety, good or bad or whatever it is - I'm on a bedtime of 7-8PM, up at 3AM schedule. So it's dark for hours after I get up.

I hope Sao reconsiders his decision to stop posting. It really isn't Weekenders without you, buddy. Same with you Kaily. Come baaaaack.

Monday! Another non-hungover week ahead.
Why has Sao stopped posting? He's a great poster and I love the pictures he posts.

What has happened to Kaily? I notice she's not posted this weekend. Again, I love her posts and her pictures.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:58 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Why has Sao stopped posting? He's a great poster and I love the pictures he posts.

What has happened to Kaily? I notice she's not posted this weekend. Again, I love her posts and her pictures.
You'd have to ask them.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:03 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

^
Hopefully it's just temporary and both will be back at some point.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:55 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Robbie, I LOVE that song Vienna! And the city too. Wow, that was a walk down memory lane!
Old 01-18-2021, 05:06 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Very happy for you Willow and really hope the new gig works out well.

Weekender is definitely not the same without Sao or the pictures of Alfie and Daisy. Hope it was not some out of sort comment I made like was frequently the case when I was drinking.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:20 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
Robbie, I LOVE that song Vienna! And the city too. Wow, that was a walk down memory lane!
Most of the video was shot in Covent Garden and the Kilburn Gaumont Theatre, both in London. The budget for the video was only £7,000 as that was all the band could afford after the record label refused to cover the costs. So in order to include shots of Vienna in the video the band and a cameraman flew out to Vienna and flew back the same day, filming in as many locatios as they could.

It's hard to believe it now but Chrysalis, the record label, didn't even want to release the single as by that point they had given up on the parent album and the band had to convince them to release it. The label would be proved wrong as it became a massive hit and came very close to being a number 1.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:10 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Hello and happy Monday.

Off work today so it’s a good Monday. Unseasonably warm temperatures here..going to transfer the wintering plants from garage to patio and start my indoor herb garden. A bit of a January thaw..I like it! Really makes me happy during some tough times.

thanks so much for the warm welcome and the cool music!

Have a lovely day, wherever you are

xx
Old 01-18-2021, 09:35 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
^
Hopefully it's just temporary and both will be back at some point.
Robbie, MesaMan posted this a few days ago.
Sao's just fine, as of yesterday. Lockdown 'stuff', and general Life.

Hopefully we’ll see Saou and Kaily in the near future.

Enjoy your day off VoVo.

Robbie, you have a good memory for music details.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:17 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Hi All;
Just caught up reading. Congrats on your 7 years Mesa and your upcoming 7 years bim--something I aspire to!
I'm grateful for so many things right now I can't easily list them all. But at the moment I am warm with pot roast cooking in the oven looking at a beautiful lake in a paid-for house. I retire in 16 weeks with a good pension and health insurance. (For our friends from other countries, in the USA, that is saying something). To get here has been a lot of work and struggle which I made 1000 harder with my past multi-decade alcohol abuse--so sobriety is always near the top of my gratitude list.

I've struggled as a child and adult with lack of money all of my life, so this strange turn of relative prosperity feels odd. I still have plenty of debt, including large student loan debt and other things, but I can finally see my way to the freedom of being debt-free in five years and living a sober and peaceful life with no more relapses. I realize that I used the despair of debt and fear as one more excuse to drink my "troubles" away instead of facing them, getting extra work, and working on resolution. It is no accident that my financial recovery corresponds to my "big quit" of alcohol and embracing recovery in 2013. In fact, it is a direct cause-effect correlation.

Until I quit drinking, I barely was keeping up with the job I had. Quitting gave me time and the emotional resolve to quit whining and get extra work to pay things off and start climbing out the the hole I dug even deeper in my last two decades of heavy drinking. I am lucky in that I had opportunities to work beyond my regular job which not everyone has, but it wouldn't have ever happened if I hadn't embraced sobriety, faced the fear, and gotten honest with myself. I have had several short-lived relapses since 2013, but each time I come back stronger and more determined to solve this problem for good. That is one reason I appreciate all of you showing me it can be done.

I am sharing this in the hope that other people who may be struggling with something similar will be encouraged to take a deep breath and start with little steps towards fixing their situation. It looked impossible when I started, but by working on a positive attitude & self-care, making a "Life" plan along with a sobriety plan, and being patient with slow and steady progress I built some momentum, which surprised me more than anyone. Just take the first step of getting sober, and the rest can surely follow. . .
Wonderfully inspiring post, HawkEye; congratulations on your upcoming retirement!
Old 01-18-2021, 10:25 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your new job, Willow.

Good to see you here, VoVo.

to all.

Have a lovely day.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:25 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Robbie, MesaMan posted this a few days ago.
Sao's just fine, as of yesterday. Lockdown 'stuff', and general Life.

Hopefully we’ll see Saou and Kaily in the near future.

Enjoy your day off VoVo.

Robbie, you have a good memory for music details.
Good to hear Sao is fine. Yes, this lockdown seems to be affecting people more than the previous two. It just seems like it's never ending and is likely to go on for at least another two to three months.

I used to buy a music newspaper / magazine every week (Record Mirror, if you remember that) as well as books like the Guinness Book Of British Hit Singles so I used to memorise everything connected with the charts and the records in them! 1981 happens to be my second favourite year for music (1979 being first and 1980 third) so songs like 'Vienna' really take me back to the time they were in the charts. Ah, if only I could go back to then... I had much more hair, weighed a lot less and was just about to start my first job, working in a solicitors office as the office junior. Great job for my age back then too, I spent half of each day going to other solicitors offices and barristers chambers. No internet, DX or courier services back then so everything had to be hand delivered. I spent half of each day sitting on buses travelling around the north east with my little radio as a constant companion!