Notices

Gabe's Starting Over

Old 09-29-2020, 08:36 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
Go for it, Gabe. Yesterday, I walked on a nature trail for the first time in years. Felt really good. I still need to try meditation and yoga.

My appearance went downhill with drinking. My hair is turning grey now and I haven't done my nails since I was a teenager. I'm so frugal I even started buying all my clothes at thrift stores. My perfectly straight teeth are not looking too good either. I've been thinking a lot about doing a complete makeover to celebrate the new me. I want to look sexy! lol It's just so damn good to be in a position where I can think about these things and not be affected by the chains of alcoholism. I never realized how far removed I was from living life until I got some sober time. The realizations just keep coming
Go for it! Get some new clothes and get your nails done! I did that earlier in the year, I had saved money from a few months sober and I bought a load of new clothes. They were really colourful, instead of wearing grey and black all the time. I still feel happy when I open my wardrobe.....celebrate your success, you deserve too
Old 09-29-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Also try this....it's short and relatively easy....a great way to get into yoga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzm3...ogaWithAdriene

Old 09-29-2020, 10:05 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Got it saved, Gabe. Love the dog, too!
Old 09-29-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Got it saved, Gabe. Love the dog, too!
Great! Let me know how you get on ☺️
Old 09-29-2020, 12:38 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Lost you for a bit.....found the new thread now tho. xx s ❤️
Old 09-30-2020, 08:00 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Lost you for a bit.....found the new thread now tho. xx s ❤️
Hi Suze! Hope you are keeping well honey. Thank you for checking in xxx
Old 09-30-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

DAY 9....

I am really tired today. We are doing so many things by Zoom, that I am just feeling frazzled all the time.

Things I have noticed though......still not feeling any excitement about being sober but feeling really present, which I think is a good thing. I don't want to think about the future, different scenarios where I will be around alcohol, or any of that stuff. That is quite unusual for me and I feel like that is progress because there isn't the same anxiety around it. I'm not sure. I might be wrong!

I also properly acknowledged to myself this morning how much easier life is when I am sober. It's more manageable, less stressful, I don't need all these strategies to cope and get through the day. It is just straight forward. I am really appreciating that just now. I think the more simple the better at the moment. What's keep me sober day to day, is just that acknowledgment that I don't want to go back to things being that hard. It's good enough for just now
Old 09-30-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Yes Gabe!!! Focusing on the here and now was instrumental to my own recovery, and I think it's a solid strategy for the early days. Don't think about tomorrow or the next day or next week or whenever. Just focus on today and what you will do today to support your recovery. The whole "one day at a time" thing is cliche, but extremely helpful imo. Stay grounded.

Sounds like you're doing well!!
Old 09-30-2020, 10:07 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
Yes Gabe!!! Focusing on the here and now was instrumental to my own recovery, and I think it's a solid strategy for the early days. Don't think about tomorrow or the next day or next week or whenever. Just focus on today and what you will do today to support your recovery. The whole "one day at a time" thing is cliche, but extremely helpful imo. Stay grounded.

Sounds like you're doing well!!
I am just trying to trust myself and how things are going just now. I'm definitely in a different space than I have been before. There is sense of realism, and realism is not my default!
Old 10-01-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Hi Gabe!

I've completed 1 month today. I also felt tired during day 10 to day 15. And mood swings up to day 20.
It's normal to feel down and anxious. There's a lot going on inside you. Things will get better, just be focus on stacking up the sober days. Before you'll know it, you'll get 1 month too!

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
DAY 9....

I am really tired today. We are doing so many things by Zoom, that I am just feeling frazzled all the time.

Things I have noticed though......still not feeling any excitement about being sober but feeling really present, which I think is a good thing. I don't want to think about the future, different scenarios where I will be around alcohol, or any of that stuff. That is quite unusual for me and I feel like that is progress because there isn't the same anxiety around it. I'm not sure. I might be wrong!

I also properly acknowledged to myself this morning how much easier life is when I am sober. It's more manageable, less stressful, I don't need all these strategies to cope and get through the day. It is just straight forward. I am really appreciating that just now. I think the more simple the better at the moment. What's keep me sober day to day, is just that acknowledgment that I don't want to go back to things being that hard. It's good enough for just now
Old 10-01-2020, 10:21 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renegade2 View Post
Hi Gabe!

I've completed 1 month today. I also felt tired during day 10 to day 15. And mood swings up to day 20.
It's normal to feel down and anxious. There's a lot going on inside you. Things will get better, just be focus on stacking up the sober days. Before you'll know it, you'll get 1 month too!

Yeah, I am just trying to take it as it comes and not get too stressed out about things. It's helping that I am only working part time now. That was tough at first, managing having that free time, but I am in a better routine and I am enjoying that.

Awesome job on 1 month - Congratulations!
Old 10-01-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

DAY 10.....

Tidy house, pot of soup and have my work stuff in order. It's been a while since all that was the case. I feel a lot more settled in my routine now. I'm a bit bored but that's okay. Watching documentaries and trying to enjoy just having time now.

I think my anxiety meds have leveled out and I am coping much better, mental health wise. I am not sure how much of what happened was down to that, changing my medication was traumatic but I think it just brought underlying things to the surface, that I didn't want to deal with. I am dealing with them now though.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
DAY 10.....

Tidy house, pot of soup and have my work stuff in order. It's been a while since all that was the case. I feel a lot more settled in my routine now. I'm a bit bored but that's okay. Watching documentaries and trying to enjoy just having time now.

I think my anxiety meds have leveled out and I am coping much better, mental health wise. I am not sure how much of what happened was down to that, changing my medication was traumatic but I think it just brought underlying things to the surface, that I didn't want to deal with. I am dealing with them now though.
The opposite is messy house, takeaway boxes, stuff lying everywhere. No energy. No direction. No routine. No sleeping pattern. No hope.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gabe, it sounds like you're doing well. And, I do think things come to the surface at certain times, and I think it means that you're ready to deal with them. I'm glad you're settling into your new routine.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:31 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Gabe! So happy to hear this. I look at boredom as natural and important state of being. It’s my signal to start exploring the possibilities of where I can place my energy going forward. What can I do to achieve more growth?

Old 10-01-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 10 days Gabe

D
Old 10-02-2020, 08:48 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ALBAdrunk View Post
The opposite is messy house, takeaway boxes, stuff lying everywhere. No energy. No direction. No routine. No sleeping pattern. No hope.
Maybe just spend a wee bit of time this weekend getting back on top of things....I am a real believer in tidy house, tidy mind. I always feel on a better footing if the house is sorted. I really, really let all those things go when I was drinking. You can do it!
Old 10-02-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Gabe, it sounds like you're doing well. And, I do think things come to the surface at certain times, and I think it means that you're ready to deal with them. I'm glad you're settling into your new routine.
I think so too Anna. I was just blocking everything out and then by the end of the three months sober it had become a white knuckle exercise. It's been a bumpy six weeks but I have come out the other end stronger and more aware than I was, of what is going on with me.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
congrats on 10 days Gabe

D
Thanks Dee! I'll get there one of these days.....

Hope you are feeling a bit better xx
Old 10-02-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Gabe! So happy to hear this. I look at boredom as natural and important state of being. It’s my signal to start exploring the possibilities of where I can place my energy going forward. What can I do to achieve more growth?
I think so too....I think its a good sign because I was just exhausted before. I never felt bored, I was always tired.

Working part-time is good. Having time to myself, when Steve is working is good too. I don't feel like there is no space for anything anymore. I think I need a fair amount of time on my own, not isolation, just space. Thanks Sober xx