Notices

Convalescence's Recovery Journal

Old 09-02-2020, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Convalescence's Recovery Journal

Hi all,

Years ago I made a thread similar to this for my problem with alcohol. I'm thankful to God that I've been sober since then, it's been a little over four years.

Recently I've been dealing with some mental health issues and undesired behaviors associated with them. I didn't want these to become an addiction to replace my old one, so I thought I'd start another journal to keep myself accountable and make new friends. For me, some of the mechanisms behind addiction are helped by community intervention and having people to remind me that I've striving for something beyond myself.

Today is day 1 for me.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Convalescence,

I remember reading your old thread before I got sober and wanting so badly all of the good things that seemed to be coming with your prolonged sobriety. It was a huge help to me as I struggled to stop drinking. I was so worried that this thread was about a relapse, so I'm so glad to see it's not. I think it's really important to be able to recognize behaviors like that and deal with them before they truly take root. You seem really self aware and in tune with yourself, so I think you'll be okay. .

Glad to see you post again - it's always really great to see people who have been here in the past come back to report that they're still sober.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well - hello there!
Old 09-03-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back and congratulations on 4 years of sobriety! I’m just 8 months sober and your post is a reminder that recovery can be a life long process. So thanks for that.

whatever is creeping up on you, you seem ready to kick it. Post as much as you need to we are here
Old 09-03-2020, 10:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much all.

I remember you too, dpac414. I got a little emotional reading your post.

I'm sorry if I scared you with the thread title, I wasn't sure what to call this new journal of mine. Just know things are well with me and that I don't regret getting sober for a moment. When I look back on how utterly messed up my life ruled by alcohol was, it shocks me sometimes. I'm so thankful to be in a comparatively better, stable place and don't want anything addiction-like to creep back into my life again.

Day 2 here.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Convalescence, Glad to see you made it to day 2. Hopefully today is Day 3. Let us know how you're doing today.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I will Sober45. In my old thread I started posting weekly after I'd had some time being sober, but right now I just want to be keeping daily logs to be accountable and take things seriously.

Day 3 and excited for the long weekend. I have a lot to look forward to in life, and I truly want to leave addiction in any form behind permanently. I've healed through some terrible things getting better from it and never want to give up the peace and stability of sobriety.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 4.

I'm feeling a lot better than I was a few days ago. Encouraged to be back among friends and doing the right thing.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 5.

The long weekend has been refreshing for me. I'm starting to feel some of the brain fog I associate with addictive behaviors dissipate. Going to stay committed to my continual recovery until it's fully lifted.

Much love, all.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 6,

Thankful for the long weekend and a chance to relax. I'm moving in the next few weeks and have a lot of little things to take care of this week. I'm proud of myself for handling all these responsibilities in the midst of my recovery.

Hope to have some more time this week to journal about my emotions as I begin this new journey. Definitely was feeling down the first few days of coming back, but I'm much more encouraged now and know this is healthy for me.

Excited for what's to come.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 7,

Feeling more encouraged with each passing day. Reading a lot of the recovery stories on this board has been encouraging and gives me hope I'll be there eventually as well. For now, I'm just thankful for today.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 8,

Staying positive and motivated. Living addiction-free feels quite good.

Much love, all.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on a week and a bit Convalesence

D
Old 09-10-2020, 06:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good to see you moving right along Convalescence! I fortunately have not had to deal with any additional addictive behaviors replacing my old one after getting sober, but I wonder if it's easier if you've done it before. Since it seems to get harder each time you relapse on the DOC, I think I might say no. But additionally, if you have all of the tools and resources from the first go around, it could be easier (in theory) since you technically know what to do.

Just a thought I had this morning; don't feel obligated to answer or anything. I'm getting a masters in social work right now so stuff like this is frequently on my mind. I'm glad you seem to be doing well.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks all,

I've wondered about that too dpac, and I'm thankful that you're doing well and addiction-free.

For me it seems a bit easier in the sense that I know this works based on prior experience. It helps me have confidence and peace when I'm beginning the recovery process. But I was also tempted to just think of it as a mechanistic process, where if I post x amount of times I'll be fine. In reality, I need to engage with real people and stay motivated off their encouragement / seeing the examples of what my life will become if I continue down a dark path.

Day 9.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 10,

Excited to be moving soon. When I got sober from alcohol my circumstances were similar - I'd just moved to a new city and started a new job. It feels like I'm symbolically leaving behind bad behaviors in an old town.

At any rate, I'm eager to see what the future holds.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10 days Convalescence!
Old 09-12-2020, 10:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks MaximusD, I really appreciate it.

Day 11.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No problem. Keep it up!
Old 09-13-2020, 10:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 12,

I'm proud of myself for getting a ton done today. I've been cleaning my apartment and working out the logistics for my move to a new city. Getting through the week is next on my list - come this weekend I'll start the moving process.

I'm thankful to God for the motivation and energy I've had to get everything worked out. Addictive behaviors normally ate into the time I'd spent on things like this. In light of my recovery it's been a much smoother process.

Much love, all.