Notices

I am on day 2

Old 04-13-2021, 10:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking I am on day 2

Hi! I am on day two and I found a therapist to see once a week. I will start AA tomorrow too and I am planning on update this thread with my progress accountability.

What else can I do to make sure this sticks this time. I really need long-lasting sobriety. Please let me know anything that worked for you and you think I may add to my plan.

Thank you!
Old 04-13-2021, 11:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and the start of your sober journey. Many people here will recommend you have a 'plan' and it seems like you have started one off. I see you joined in January so it might be that you have been reading around the site for a while already. If not, it would b a good thing to do.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you Feliz! I'll check in with your thread and see how you are doing...

I've found that exercise has been really helpful for me. I was never really that into exercise, especially when I was drinking a lot, but I have been walking several miles each day and it helps to manage stress, anxiety and I sleep really well. Having some sweet stuff on hand is a good idea, if you are craving. Coming here every day is a great idea too.

I have found therapy extremely helpful, I hope you do as well x
Old 04-13-2021, 11:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!

One of these things that worked for me this time was to not think down the road. Just deal with now. Don't drink now and you are Golden. I promise.

I didn't expect anything other then to not drink. I created my mess over time so it's going to take time to change it.

Also, SR is my homepage which means I have to go through it to get to the intwerwebs which is a huge help.

These also play major roles...

Sweets knock my craving right out.

Exercise.

Don't even talk, debate or argue with the AV. Kick it's South-side to the curb.

I'm sure I missing a lot of my tools but the above really helped me get to where I'm at today [~1.5 years].

I couldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams how great my life is right now. I sometimes wonder when this dream is going to turn into a mess but fortunately, I'm sober and can help direct it to some extent.

Sorry for rambling and good luck.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not rambling at all C, great post and advice 🙂
Old 04-14-2021, 03:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How are your cravings on Day 2? You're in a very delicate time right now. It will be easier when the cravings become manageable. Hang on tight for a couple more days (it varies for everyone). It's a wonderful journey.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats! You have made a wonderful decision.

I have found that having my time structured with activities was the way through the initial phase of getting sober.
Each hour had an activity of self care or work. I stuck with my "plan" even when it was rough and my head was talking non-stop. It took me awhile to level off and get adjusted to the new "Plan" given that I was a habitual drinker. Stay close and post often if you wish. There are a lot of people here who can and will be of assistance.

You are doing very well!
Old 04-14-2021, 05:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Spend some time thinking about and picking apart boredom and deprivation. Both bad frameworks for recovery. I eventually concluded that the "boredom" that I felt in early recovery was merely the peace and quiet that most of us addicts aren't really accustomed to. Give yourself permission to move through a chunk of time during your day with nothing on the agenda for that time. Downshifting like that and learning to enjoy time like that will really help you.

Also, avoid looking at sobriety as part of some deprivation that you have to suffer. Unless we change our mindset on that, sobriety becomes more difficult. Think about all the thousands of food diets that have been thought of and sold that were - each one of them - doomed to fail for one simple reason: they are all built around models of deprivation. Deprivation doesn't work well with anyone and it certainly doesn't work for us addicts.

Spend some time on those things and I think you'll conclude that, far from being bored and deprived, living a sober and peaceful and healthy life is a life filled with bounty and purpose. It is the very best way to walk our paths.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Congrats on Day 2!
Remember that it is One Day At A Time and the days will start to add up!
It gets better and better!
Post often especially if you feel like falling back on old habits.
You friends here at SR are here to help and support!
Glad you are here, Feliz!
Old 04-14-2021, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Exactly as Chloe said. A walk might calm you down but if you have a smartphone/ipod/iphone etc, don't listen to negative music. Think about it like this, it might be hard in the beginning but the stress and angst you might have lessen during the walk and knowing that you've got people here for you who doesn't judge, trust me is a great comfort, i showed up after new year drunk, but they didn't judge me. think of it like this, we're always there for eachother
Old 04-14-2021, 06:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I also went to AA meetings for a few months in the beginning. I read things online and I read books about recovery. I stayed away from people and places where there would be drinking for a few months. I walked every day outdoors. I listened to only instrumental classical music. I shopped, prepped and prepared all my own meals from scratch. I focused on good nutrition.

I got rid of all my "drinking" paraphernalia. Glasses, wine openers.

It does take a few months to feel really good again. To be expected.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you, everybody, for your replies. I see everyone suggest exercising and it is on my list, I am biking now and I love it I will resume doing so now that I am sober.

It's day 3 and I have to look for my AA zoom meeting. I am grateful I am working from home so I also have that and my first therapy session later on.

I have tried this sober thing many times and I am really tired of day ones so I want to focus on sobriety and make this work for me.

I will keep you posted on my journey and thank you for all the support!
Old 04-14-2021, 07:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There isa saying in recovery rooms that if you have one foot in the past and one in the tomorrow, you are pissing all over today.
What I am trying to say is that one of the many things that made me relapse in the past is thinking of what was and thinking of what will, it really made me fall into self pity and despair.
So try to remember or better yet write down somewhere " One Day At A Time" ODAAT.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, exercise is definitely important. And, remember to do things you love and have fun doing. Recovery is a way of life and you need to take care of all parts of yourself.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Feliz - we're so glad to have you join us. Congrats on your Day 2 - something to be so proud of.
I tried many times too - but when I found SR something was different. I was ready, yes (drank 30 yrs.) but the reassurance I found here helped me immensely. I was no longer alone - I was in good company, with people who really understood what I was going through. It's understandable that most of our family & friends can't possibly relate to our challenges. Posting and reading here gave me the confidence I needed. Hope you'll stay.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well

This may sound stupid, but here’s one thing that helps me. I don’t wear jewelry in general, just never cared for it. But I have a cute leather bracelet that I have now put on to remind myself of my vow to myself. I wear it all the time.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

And

The bracelet is one of those “evil eye” ones with the eyeball. It’s watching me and warding off evil.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My current sobriety (18 years -- after many years of relapsing) began with a basic idea and 5 instructions.

The basic idea was that if I'm a real alcoholic, then I suffer from a 3-fold illness (physical, mental, and spiritual) and A.A. is uniquely designed to treat that dis-ease via its 3-fold solution of [1] meetings (I bring my body to the meetings), [2] steps (I take my mind through the steps), and [3] service (having had a spiritual awakening as the result of the steps, I take my awakened spirit out into this world and carry this message of recovery to others who need/want it). Crucially, I could only recover if I was firmly grounded in all 3 parts of the program. Many things are necessary but not sufficient. As the Big Book says: Half measures availed us nothing.

The 5 instructions were:

1. Get on my knees every morning and night, asking God ("Higher Power", "Great Spirit", "Higher Self", etc.) to keep me sober in the morning and thanking Him ("Her", "It", etc.) for keeping me sober at night. Importantly, this requires no particular belief. An atheist can follow this instruction without spontaneously combusting.

2. Attend at least 1 A.A. meeting every day for 90 days.

3. Call my sponsor every day.

4. Read the first 164 pages of the Big Book, highlighting everything that jumps out at me (I thought that, felt that, did that).

5. Get a home group and a service commitment.

Can this be hard? Yes. But it's way easier than the living hell of active alcoholism / drug addiction. As the Big Book says: Simple, but not easy; a price had to be paid.

And: Many of us exclaimed, “What an order! I can’t go through with it.” Do not be discouraged. No one among us has been able to maintain anything like perfect adherence to these principles. We are not saints. The point is, that we are willing to grow along spiritual lines. The principles we have set down are guides to progress. We claim spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would also suggest exercise, just something as simple as walking helps me a lot. I would also suggest that you start practicing gratitude every day. It will not only strengthen your sobriety, it can also make you happier.

Here's an article about gratitude.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 04-14-2021, 10:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are doing great......I hope you first therapy session went well and it sounds like exercise would be a great addition to your plan. Biking is good fun! I love walking and listening to audio books. There is a level of fitness I am getting to, which was non-existent when I was binge drinking and smoking. It feels really good and I am sure AA meetings and eating well will all support you in moving forward x