Notices

Bouncing into the Weekend Sober 21-24 August Weekenders

Old 08-20-2020, 08:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I’m in for my 8th sober weekend.

Originally Posted by least View Post
I relapsed a lot when I was starting out. I still had the desire to drink so I always ended up drinking. But when I finally wanted to be sober MORE than I wanted to drink, that was the start of my success at staying sober.
least, I’ve seen you say this many times and it is simple but so true. Hope you have a wonderful birthday tomorrow!
Old 08-20-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nicely said Dri-Guy. I stopped drinking for good when I said ‘that’s it I don’t drink anymore‘, but I didn’t know how I lived without a drink until I learnt recovery. That I found here at this forum.
My dad quit smoking like that though. Just decided to stop, and never went back to them.

Hi Captain.

Least, WoW 11 years tomorrow. That’s brilliant!
Old 08-20-2020, 08:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags, for another great version of the Weekenders’ thread.

I was slumped on the floor, leaning against the lower kitchen cabinets, with wine glass in hand repeating “Enough; enough; enough . . . .” when I QUIT. I knew I was DONE - just couldn’t go on drinking; there was nothing left of me. I simply HAD to be done. There was no other choice. I poured the “untouched” glass of wine, drained what was left in the box of Chard and poured out couple of “special occasion” bottles.

And so it began, one of the best journeys of my life (of course, as viewed in retrospect and now). There was a huge amount of internal ‘work’ to be done (reflection, introspection, change and repair). Finding gratitude for sobriety was a catalyst for healing.

Soooo . . . . here we are at another Weekend; let’s enjoy it soberly, friends.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mags, it's not my 11th sobriety birthday, but my bellybutton birthday tomorrow. I'll be 69 yrs old! It's the 11th time I celebrated my birthday sober.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

@Willow , that Kookaburra photo is awesome!
Old 08-20-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Mags, it's not my 11th sobriety birthday, but my bellybutton birthday tomorrow. I'll be 69 yrs old! It's the 11th time I celebrated my birthday sober.
‘Tis a gift.

, dear least.
Spoiler

Old 08-20-2020, 09:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Magsie

Oh sorry least , happy birthday
Old 08-20-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm in!
Welcome to Weekenders Daytona1977, DriGuy, CODPlayer!

Congratulations on shotgun Willow.

I was going round the revolving door. I would absolutely not want to minimise relapses but I suspect most of us will have relapsed a few times before realising we can't "just quit" and a few more before reaching out to places like SR or AA. I certainly did.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW LEAST!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20200820_174331-415x425.jpg (53.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 08-20-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi fellow weekenders - I'm in for my 86th sober weekend including Day 600 alcohol free.

Mixed feelings today. I am having to undergo a health screen for the new job and this afternoon I got to see what my GP had written about be. There it was in black and white - "prior to March 2108 he was drinking up to a bottle of vodka a day...". Not good. It went on to say that he was not aware of any current alcohol problems and that my recent blood tests were normal. It presented a less than ideal picture though and I can't really dispute the facts.

Some interesting discussion on relapse in the thread this week. This is something that has been worrying me as I see it happen so often here on SR. I'm certain that I no longer drink and that should be that. Others though have said the same and a couple of years down the line drank again. What is going to make me sufficiently strong that I will be an exception to the seemingly rather dismal actuality? If I drank again I would loose my job, my family, my hard earned self respect and my sanity and risk my life through liver failure or another massive seizure. As I said, I don't drink... but what if...

Anyway, good to see some newcomers here and some old timers dropping in. Happy Birthday Least!

Time to get some sleep as I wake at stupid-o-clock these days to get ahead with work. Warm wishes to all - stay close. Forwards.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Whatever words are used- the message is the same, booze was bad for me and SR helps.

Thanks for the new thread Mags.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Least, Happy Birthday.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
Some interesting discussion on relapse in the thread this week. This is something that has been worrying me as I see it happen so often here on SR. I'm certain that I no longer drink and that should be that. Others though have said the same and a couple of years down the line drank again. What is going to make me sufficiently strong that I will be an exception to the seemingly rather dismal actuality? If I drank again I would loose my job, my family, my hard earned self respect and my sanity and risk my life through liver failure or another massive seizure. As I said, I don't drink... but what if...
Congratulations on 600 days Forwards. A sprinkling of people have relapsed, often around the 6 months mark which obviously yo are well beyond. I think one of the dangers is that around the 6 months point people have been sober long enough to forget a lot of the bad things that happened when they drank and perhaps as a consequence let their guard down and take their sobriety for granted. You do not sound like you are taking your sobriety for granted Forwards so I'm sure you'll be fine. I was drinking about the same as you (only I was drinking scotch whiskey) and getting sober was REALLY hard, I occasionally have the odd 30 seconds or minute when the thought of a drink seems attractive but it is easy enough to dismiss. I do not post on SR as often as I once did but I do look in at the newcomers thread so as not to forget what brought me here.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Magsie

Happy a Birthday to Least. Have a wonderful day my friend. xxxxx

Old 08-21-2020, 01:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders,

Forwards, if the ‘what if’ creeps in, just play that tape to the end. Remember what it was like and know what you have now. What an achievement you’ve had. From a bottle a day to none. You’ve done great.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

morning Weekenders - Happy Friday

Willow - I saw Jonathan out & up to no good today:

I hope that some of the serial relapsers elsewhere on the forum are on a path to discovering that the pain of making a change is less than the pain of staying the same. but not my circus, not my monkeys.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Probably why Jonathon hangs out on the beach alone. Doesn't want to be associated with chip thieves.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders

Thanks for this thread Mags. I've been stucked in these revolving doors way too long...we talk about decades here.
Happy to be free today but relapse is always close and well promoted by Mr AV
I know I'll never be a normie and will always have to be on my guard
Hanging with you guys on SR is my personal lifeline when I need a shelter - thanks for existing - all of you.

Oh! Happy birthday Least!
Old 08-21-2020, 03:02 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya CK

Andy, Jonathan’s sibling cracked me up. Or wait....is it really Jonathan. I know the beaches are quiet nowadays...or was.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Magsie

Old 08-21-2020, 03:33 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

We know where my grand daughter is now. She just refuses any help. Hopefully that will change. I recognize that I have no control over this situation. Will not drink. No desire for it at all. Good to be able to come here.