Notices

Bouncing into the Weekend Sober 21-24 August Weekenders

Old 08-26-2020, 09:43 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Kaily, I love Sao’s new mask. He will look suave and debonair while donning it.

Prayers for those in the path of the California fires and the path of Hurricane Laura. I am hoping that friends in Galveston have evacuated; haven’t been able to reach them.

Love to all.

Have a nice day.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:03 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  
yag

yag

I been an active member of A.A for over 31 years and the journey has been a wonderful experience and feeling spiritual in tune until I realize I was Gay. Being Catholic it has been hard to accept. I have tried so hard to accept who and what I am, but it is difficult. Acceptance that I have lived by in the program for years that this is who I am has been challenged. I need to accept who I am and embrace it. Problem being I have not been honest with my group and sponsor. I have gone to some Gay AA meetings looking for a sponsor, but Aim uncomfortable in what I should say---I am an alcoholic and I am Gay and I need a sponsor. .
Old 08-26-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

yag, welcome to Sober Recovery. I don’t know much about AA but understand that you feel you will be better off having a gay counselor. I’m just wondering, if you say you are not being honest with your group and current sponsor, do you mean that in AA you are required to disclose your sexuality or do you feel it is something you need to do to truly share and grow in your recovery? I’m sure someone here who knows more about AA might be able to give you some useful advice.

Anyway, welcome and congrats on your sobriety.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:33 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
yag

yag

Thx for replying--- shoulod tell my sponsor I am gay---need to be open and no secrets. As for group, no need to. Unfortunetly I would be embarassed if members knew I was gay---that has become a problem, because I should embrace who I am..
Old 08-26-2020, 10:41 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and to the thread, yag. Good to have you with us. 31 years of sobriety is a great accomplishment.

I don’t have an answer to your AA/sponsor questions but I hope you feel free to share with us here in an open and honest manner without fear of judgment.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Exactly what soberleigh said yag. I have found SR to be a wonderful place to get the support necessary to remain sober, which includes thinking through and writing about things that would likely be a source of stress and contribute to the cycle of drinking otherwise, and to read other people's thoughts and experiences. I'm sure that we could all find something to disagree about, but that's not the point. The point is to provide and receive support.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:19 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders yag and congratulations on 31 years, that is a mighty achievement. Of course I don't know your personal feelings about participating with AA but with 31 years sobriety behind you maybe you don't need a sponsor. At the very least ther is probably no rush. It's definitely right you embrace who you are - perhaps you might feel more comfortable discussing it in an online AA meeting. I'm not an AA member myself but I have heard some positive things about them, especially in a time of pandemic.

Well done on kicking the AV into the trashcan along with all the other rubbish Captain.

Leigh, the mask that makes me suave and debonair has not been invented yet. I would need some sort of 3D hologram.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:48 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders!

Yag - welcome! I've never been to AA and never had a sponsor, so, I'm afraid, can't offer you advice in this matter.

I second everyone who named SR as their safe ground to get support - no matter who you are. In my early days it was my absolute lifeline.

Keep posting!

Citiboy - I should check if I still can do 25 pushups)

See you, weekenders.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:33 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Welcome Yag. I’m not in AA either so can’t offer much advice there. I use SR as my main support, and I post in several different threads. I think there are several AA based threads somewhere on SR, but there’s so many areas I haven’t properly explored them. You might like to have a look around the site and see whether some people in AA threads might also be helpful, but you’re of course more than welcome here, this is a great thread for support

Captain well done on kicking the AV’s butt. I had an AV attack yesterday too, when I had to go near an old liquor store I used to frequent, but kicked it to the kerb, the annoying little weasel.

Today I am feeling the need for coffee after a restless sleep riddled with dreams.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Nice work on whipping AV Willow and Captain.

I did 25 pushups but it made my face turn red.

Saou,I had a wildland firefighter friend who went out west several days ago. He has made a few posts on facebook, so must have some kind of internet access, but has not given any indication of how things are going in general concerning the fires.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:54 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Leigh, the mask that makes me suave and debonair has not been invented yet. I would need some sort of 3D hologram.
Similar here, Sao. If you find any masks that make one look like George Clooney or Tom Cruise, please send a few my way, I could sure use 'em.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:48 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi yag welcome to SR and congratulations on your 31 years of sobriety.

Talking of Tom Cruise, DesertDawg, did you see he went in a cinema to watch a film, with his mask on. I think a few months he went in a supermarket too and nobody recognised him. It must be novel for him.

Willow, Captain, good news on kicking the av.

Saou, I see people are having masks to coordinate with their clothes.

Kaily, seeing the doc in person! Nice one. I hope your toe is ok. I hope Alfie doesn’t get a complex knowing you want to talk to a human.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:28 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Welcome Yag.

Doctor got my xrays back and said the ongoing pain in my hip and back is osteoporosis. I need to go to physio. Really frustrating as it wakes me up constantly, I was hoping it would be something they could fix. My toenail is having more tests. Blood tests were good though.

Well done to all the AV fighters. You just never know when it's gonna make an appearance. Mines been sneaking into my dreams again a lot lately.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:02 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning all. Back to work for me, the ankle is somewhat improved. It will be by train though this week. I hope to see all of you on the new thread.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:06 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Glad you're feeling a bit better Sao.

In my above post I meant osteoarthritis.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:48 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Kaily, ugh osteoarthritis, I hope physio helps love.

Take care Saou, glad your ankle is healing well.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:52 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...st-2020-a.html (Soar like an Eagle this Weekend - Weekenders 28 - 31 August 2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 02:24 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Yag
I misread your initial post and thought you were 31 - I didn't realise that you have 31 years of sobriety. - that's amazing .

Its tough to unravel things we were taught from childhood but to me (another Catholic) Jesus preached love - and he gave us a promise that He loves us all

I hope you can find it within you to live in a way you find authentic

D