Notices

Hey guys

Old 08-11-2020, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Here and now

Hey guys

In a very rough place, I had a binge over the weekend after doing well. Today is day 2 and my brother committed suicide this morning. I am not going to drink and am having a hard time proccessing this. I need some support.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Ekohe, I’m very sorry to hear that. I have never lost anyone that close to me, so I don’t really know what to say other than that my thoughts are with you. Staying sober can only help you to get through this in the best way possible.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so very very sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine what you are feeling right now.
Sending you prayers and strength
Love Billy x
Old 08-11-2020, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

What a shock that must have been... I'm so sorry for your loss, sending you lots of love and strenght.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Here and now

Thank you everyone, yeah I don't know how to feel I think I'm so in shock. I definitely will not be drinking that's for sure.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Really sorry to hear of your loss, Ekohe. Drinking is the last thing you need. Please keep reaching out for support.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your brother. I'm not surprised you're in shock, but I'm really glad you're not going to drink.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your profound loss, Ekohe. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Choosing not to drink is very wise.

Please stay close to us. We care.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Being in shock is a strange sensation. That's where I went when my uncle killed himself. We were pretty close.

You wrote "I had a binge over the weekend after doing well." and that you're two days sober today. If you put yourself into a binge AFTER doing well - now is the time to be especially aware of the beverages you reach for. At some point - you will come out of shock.

Don't let your guard down.

Best.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That is terrible news, Ekohe. I'll send up prayers for your brother & your family.
As you already know, drinking does nothing but create temporary numbness & then it backfires on us. It can't be a way of dealing with tragedy or anything else.
I'm glad you wanted to talk about what's going on. Please don't pick up.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine what you must be going through right now. Vent on here as much as you need to. Sending prayers and peaceful vibes your way.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Ekohe, I am so sorry for your loss. Do you have friends, family or a pet for support? It's good you're not drinking--please stay close!
Old 08-11-2020, 10:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very sorry about your brother. Take care of yourself during this difficult time.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

You have my deepest condolences. Try to stay with people, try to eat and try to sleep. Grief, for me, is it's own entity.

Feel sad, cry, finish and try to let it go. Remember happy times with your brother and smile, then face the world, you have a new angel on your shoulder. If you are a member of AA, stick with others there.

So sorry for your loss
~SB
Old 08-11-2020, 01:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ekohe, I am so sorry for your loss; I can't imagine what you are going thru.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Here and now

Thank you all for the messages, I have lots of friends and family and am very grateful. I am going to remain sober, I know it would only make things unimaginably harder. This is a big wake up call for me.

I am feeling numb/shocked and a bit confused with moments of very low sadness. I know everyone's grief plays out differently but if anyone had some suggestions I would love to hear them. I plan on taking up the guitar and drawing, and going to grief counseling.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If you feel like crying - cry.

It helps lighten the sadness.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m so very sorry for your loss. Do you have a therapist or counselling or at least good friends to talk to?
There may be some help or some tools available here too:

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.or...oss-survivors/

Above all, please do not drink Ekohe. Use the support here instead. Don’t compound this tragedy by starting another by drinking.

You’re not alone

D
Old 08-11-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't know what to say Ekohe. I'll just say that we here will try to help you through your tragedy any way we can. A fellow Torontonian here anytime you just need a few words of support. I am sure it will take some time to process things.

My mother died suddenly 2 years ago. I went on a month long drinking binge. That was not the right way to deal with grief. By the time I sobered up the grief was still there waiting for me. I just delayed it.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

OH WTF! This is because he was afraid to go to jail ? Is he older or younger than you?

I am so so sorry and I can't imagine being on Day 2 and having that kind of news.
My sister died unexpectedly when I was in the middle of a binge and I had to force myself to stop or I would not have made it to her wake/funeral.....I remember I was 2 days sober at her wake...I was so sick....

I hope you feel better soon and I think you will be better able to process the loss and better able to be available to mourn with other members in your family.