Notices

Sober Independence Weekenders 03 - 06 July 2020

Old 07-02-2020, 07:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Magsie

Captain, I’m glad you’ve stayed.You have so much to offer in life.

Kaily, any idea what sort of cattle they are? I’ve not seen that colouring (red?) before.

Marty, I suspect man friend has the two wolves on his shoulders at the minute. He probably knows his problem but hoping he doesn’t have to do anything about it.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I don't know Mags but I do know they show them.

At one point they all stood in a line and showed me their backsides.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was wondering about the cows also. Possibly red angus?
Old 07-02-2020, 09:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I just went down a Google rabbit hole about the UK red cattle. Interesting, but that's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

It's not as bad as the FODMAP diet rabbit hole I also went down this morning.

Oh! And I spent three and a half hours watching raw video yesterday on the internet news about the SeattlePD and them taking back their East Precinct from the protestors. What a flippity flipping mess that whole thing was for the last month. SO GLAD that's over...it was so scary. I hope they will hold that hill. No injuries, 45 arrests.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Imagine if we had no TV, internet or anything. We would all live in our own little worlds with little knowledge of anything. We would just know what we know and learn what was needed along the way. Back to basics.

I believe internet is another addiction!

FODMAP
Old 07-02-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Being free from the chains of addiction is a wonderful thing. Every morning when I wake up sober, I always give thanks for it. I remember how horrible I used to feel when I woke up. Waking up sober and feeling good never gets old.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm in for another sober Weekend.

Thanks for the opening post mags. There's no denying it, addiction is a form of slavery, one that we can all rid ourselves of with the right mindset and a lot of application.

Well done for posting CaptainHaddock, you're doing well. Few people join and quit for good straight off the bat.

Well done on 20 months Kaily. I wonder how the red ball appears to Alfie. Dogs cannot see colours up at the red end of the spectrum (neither can bulls).

I mentioned a couple of days ago that Britain was opening up its bars,pubs and restaurants on Saturday. It occurs to me that the lock down was a good opportunity to quit with less pressure for those people for whom drinking is a social activity. I suppose I am thinking more of younger people here rather than old farts like myself. Now would be a good time to change habits before everyone reverts back to their old ways. Independence Day for everyone.

Here's Grace Jones singing about another form of slavery in the run up to the 2012 Olympics when Britain was an altogether much better place.

]https://youtu.be/vSa5EvWqB7g

Old 07-02-2020, 10:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks very much for all the support.

So we went for a walk, my wife, our dog and I, but didn’t catch any picture worth posting. I’ll see what I can do closer to the weekend. Feeling good though.

Keep at it Weekenders! I still think it’s worth it
Old 07-02-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for the beautiful and thoughtful start to the thread, Mags! I think of all the chains I bore as a result of my addiction, and it makes me very grateful for where I am now.

Here's a happy dog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKn2SEz8jaE

Captain Haddock, I'm glad you're here and posting. I don't rely on SoberRecovery as much as some, but one reason I visit here daily is because I have seen how it works for others. We really do support you!

It's kind of grey here today, high temp forecast at only 62˚ F. Kitties are happy, and a fawn just walked through the yard. We're having steamed clams for dinner, and when I go to the shellfish farm I may see someone about future work prospects. I do not think COVID is just going to disappear.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm in. I'll be staying home this weekend, drinking LaCroix (LimonCello is delicious) and maybe throwing something on the grille if the rain stays away long enough. I truly feel bad for all the people that will experience the massive hangovers and bad decisions associated this holiday (not to mention those that will end up with missing fingers or severe burns).
Old 07-02-2020, 11:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome, cantsleep! Not wishing anyone severed fingers or severe burns (and I’m sure you don’t either), but yes, that sure is one less thing to be worried about.

I hope the rain stays away so you can heat up the grill.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Welcome, cantsleep! Not wishing anyone severed fingers or severe burns (and I’m sure you don’t either), but yes, that sure is one less thing to be worried about.

I hope the rain stays away so you can heat up the grill.
Yeah I don't wish firework injuries on anyone. One year I had too much to drink and it happened to me. Luckily there was no lasting injuries but man for a few days it sucked!
Old 07-02-2020, 12:30 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi cantsleep .

Glad you got out for a walk Captain, it always helps. You are right, it is worth it, one hundred percent and so are you.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:36 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I saw a deer on my walk. She stopped and we were locked in this awkward stare-down. I didn't want to move and spook her, and I'm guessing she was having a go at figuring out which escape was best in case I did move. She just calmly walked into the trees.

I also saw and heard the eagles at the nest. Pretty good day for a walk, it was raining lightly so no one out except the wildlife. No cows.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Support to you Capt-H.
Yep- addictive behaviour needs to be kept in the forefront of my mind. I ate way too much chocolate in the first 2m of the social isolation/distancing bit. I was also in a wave of major depression and was aware of the comfort eating- BUT much less damaging than booze...and I do not drive dangerously after a packet of m and m's.
Staying close to SR is always a good idea for me.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back Captain.

One of the ways I got myself in trouble was not asking for help - I felt I could handle it, I knew what to do, I didn't want be a bother, to worry people, or suffer a lecture...

Learning to reach out and ask for help is one of the main reasons I'm still in this recovery thing.

D
Old 07-02-2020, 07:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((Captain))) You are loved and valued here. Stick close, we're here for you always.

I hate the fireworks cause of how Jack used to get so scared when they were going off. He'd hide under my desk and tremble, poor guy. I hope he's not afraid of thunder and fireworks in heaven.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:20 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Hiya cantsleep

Colfusion, great video of the dog retiring. He earned it!

Bim, I love that, locking eyes with the deer. Checking to see if your friendly and decided you was!

Kaily, I love the picture of the cows. They’re very photogenic.

Our smart light bulb stopped working in the living room and after checking it I ordered another. We couldn’t use the same name we’d used for it before as for some reason it didn’t recognise it with the new bulb. We used to call it ‘big light’, so changed its name and it’s now ‘saturn’ which at 3am ish I can never remember.

much better musing over Saturn than when I can have my next drink methinks.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:52 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders cantsleep!

The long weekend for many Americans will begin today. It will be great not to be hungover for tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:05 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Captain I’m so glad you posted, it’s great to have you here with us
I have had so many mess ups and day 1s it’s not funny, but I feel more committed now than ever.

I’m on day 10 and we are staying at a local resort for the weekend. Everything has opened up to a degree here, as there have been hardly any cases here at all. So we decided to have a weekend relaxing away from home. My partner is drinking beer. There is complimentary champagne in our room but I will not touch it. The bar is open but I’m staying away. I went to the grocery store and got sparkling water and cranberry juice, and currently I’m having a lovely cup of tea

We are going to a pub for dinner but I volunteered to drive, so that’s a good way to make it easier to not drink.
I will be posting here if I get in trouble with the AV this weekend. Actually I probably should rephrase that, I’ll be posting here if the AV hassles me, BEFORE I get in any trouble, so that I can head it off at the pass before it gets any chance to trick me with it’s lies.

It’s a beautiful day, and we’re about to go for a walk I hope