Notices

Counting Days

Old 07-08-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counting Days

Hey Everybody,

I hope you are all doing well? I just wanted to ask if ppl count days (not including momentous occasions 30/60/90/6 months)?

I know its arbitrary question and it depends on the individual but in general?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm coming up on 5 months now and I can't resist counting my days and I'm not sure how beneficial it is.

Thanks in advance
Be Safe

I'm coming up on 5 months now and I'm still counting days
Old 07-08-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At first I counted days but then after a while I just stopped. I find myself thinking about drinking less and less when I didn’t think what day it was. Plus, I felt letdown after milestones, but that might just be me. If counting days works for others, great.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You've counted for five months, you've been sober five months. All is good.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its on you. If you cant resist, you cant resist. I never paid much attention after a few weeks. I basically count the months. Come to think of it, it will be 13 months for me this friday. Yay.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I counted days until I got to a week.
Then I counted weeks until I got to a month.
I counted months until I got to a year.
I've counted years ever since, although I lost count somewhere after 10 years, and I had to go back and try to figure it out again.

It just seemed easier to me, because 8,760 days is less descriptive to me than 24 years give or take. I know what a year feels like, but I don't know what 8,760 days feels like unless I get out my calculator and convert.

I think there is an app for your phone where you put in your sobriety date once, and then every day it tells you how many days sober you have.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the response and advice guys. Really appreciate it!
Old 07-08-2020, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been counting days for years. I keep a calendar. Long ago I would do 3 or 6 days, relapse. Finally I did 30 days. Relapse. Over and over. I'm still going, over 2 years sober. And I still keep counting. I find it helps, because it is a visual indication on how I am doing. If it helps, do it!
Old 07-08-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Over my longer quits I counted for the first few months and then stopped but would check back in from time to time. I have my quit date on a quit app on my phone so I can always check that.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I counted til 90 days - I know my 'date', but haven't a clue what my day count is now. It helped me in the beginning to have a tangible marker of progress - if it still helping you, I don't see a problem

D
Old 07-08-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

I'll count days until 1 month. After that I just count months.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In early sobriety, I counted days, then weeks, then months until I got to a year. Now I keep track of years and months. Every month on the 8th I add another month. I like it cause I can see my progress and know I'm moving forward, even years later.

Do whatever trips your trigger.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I counted in days at the beginning. Every day was a milestone! Now I count in months. An additional month counts as a milestone now. I think I'm looking toward a year, which seems an important one for me.

In the future (no jumping the gun) I'm pretty sure I'll be counting in years and months because I'll be really proud of myself for having achieved what I thought to be impossible. I'll be 7 months on 17th July.

I can't see anything wrong with still counting at 5 months. It's a real achievement and worth observing.

I was going to get one of those ticker things but couldn't figure how to install it.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I could not stop counting days for a very long time. It was not on purpose. I just knew it everyday. I have spent so much time obsessing over not drinking that it was not possible for my mind to forget yesterday was 'number 2' and therefore today is 'number 3' etc. I found it irritating but could not do anything about it. It stopped when I was well over 200 days.
Now I do not know my day count, but I know the day of the month. Looking forward to forget the year. As they told you, the most important think is that you are 5 months sober and that's a great achievement
Old 07-08-2020, 07:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If I didn't have an app in my phone I would forget exactly, though I know my quit date. Still, it's only a great feeling when now and then I check in and see where I'm at. Can't hurt if it helps says me. Congrats on 5 months - that's a solid number and you will only keep feeling better.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Get a free app for your phone that does the counting for you. I found that I soon stopped consciously counting myself and only occasionally look at the app out of interest, mostly to see how much money I did not spend on wine!
Old 07-09-2020, 03:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I counted them until I forgot to count them. That was a nice reward to realize I had forgotten about what day I was on and needed to figure it out if I wanted to know.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I counted days, then weeks and after I got four months at the end of June I starting counting months looking forward to March 1st 2021 then I can start counting years!
Whatever works!
Love Billy x